Notices

Day 14 - Bloat

Old 08-19-2018, 08:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 14 - Bloat

Hey all. I was wondering, in your experience, how long after quitting did you lose the stomach bloat? I’m on Day 14 and swear I look 6-months pregnant. (In fact, strangers have been asking Em questions like “when are you due?” Or “do you know the sex?” I’m on an all-natural low calorie diet, and I drink 100+ ounces of water a day. And I swear for some reason my stomach is bigger than when I was drinking...what gives?!
Old 08-19-2018, 09:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi BB2

I really never noticed if I was bloated or not to be honest. I hope it goes soon - and of course if you're worried, seeing your doctor might help put your mind at rest?

D
Old 08-19-2018, 10:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BabyBlues2 View Post
Hey all. I was wondering, in your experience, how long after quitting did you lose the stomach bloat? I’m on Day 14 and swear I look 6-months pregnant. (In fact, strangers have been asking Em questions like “when are you due?” Or “do you know the sex?” I’m on an all-natural low calorie diet, and I drink 100+ ounces of water a day. And I swear for some reason my stomach is bigger than when I was drinking...what gives?!
This happened to me too..it does go away. Keep doing what your doing, good diet, moderate exercise, and sobriety,

I'm finding my way back and am dealing with this again...

Blessings,
WF
Old 08-19-2018, 10:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It took awhile for me, and turned out to be another thing I had to release. I expected to start looking healthy very quickly but that just didn’t happen. We addicts tend to want instant fixes.

Two years in, I’m hovering on a “normal” BMI. Down almost 50 lb. If you’re concerned go to a dr but I’d say focus on sobriety first and foremost as that is the most important. Drinking will NOT help, I promise.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rar

Bloat was a big reason I quit drinking. After a couple of weeks, I lost the stomach bloat (from my breasts to belly button). The abdominal bloat is mostly still there. I spoke with my doctor and learned it was a combination of fat and gas from the carbonated drinks I consume. I'm still trying to lose it. Perhaps if you take measurements you can see the progress as the weeks go by?
Old 08-20-2018, 07:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi

If you weren't drinking a lot of water before you quit you were probably pretty dehydrated so it's possible your body is holding onto water weight now its getting enough. Keep up with the water and it will disappear soon plus your skin will look fabulous
Old 08-20-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you! I thought I was the only one. I'm definitely less "puffy" but I have severe stomach bloating constantly where it is constantly pressed out. I grew concerned my liver may be enlarged or something but I had it checked and it was fine thankfully. Thank you for posting this.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I over two weeks in and the bloat is slowly beginning to go. I can tell you this from experience as a former competitive bodybuilder: "bloat" is usually a misnomer. Typically, people have a few factors going on. First, visceral body fat that pushes out against the organs and the wall of the abdomen; second, inconsistent diet that promotes a cycle of dehydration followed by super saturation (your water balancing hormones don't know which way is up and it's alike a pendulum (push one way; it comes back just as hard the other way); and, finally, distention, which just takes time to tighten up again. In severe cases, liver failure or some cancers, you may have a condition that can cause water leakage into your abdominal cavity but that is probably not the case and a doctor can quickly rule it out if you're worried about it. I would say 1) eat consistently; 2) keep hydrated consistently; 3) work out; and 4) be patient. None of us got ourselves into this mess over night so we're not going to wake up any day now looking like a 25 year old gymnast, although I can tell you from experience that you can and will get there with enough determination.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I’m actually down approx 9lbs after stopping drinking and starting this healthy diet...So 2 weeks. Normal BMI. High normal, but normal. My stomach just has a mind of its own right now!
Old 08-20-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Also, thanks everyone for your replies!
Old 08-20-2018, 11:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh the bloat! Mine went down after about two weeks; however, I have irritable bowel syndrome so if I eat a trigger food I immediately bloat. My bloating is tied directly to my diet.