Notices

Rough weekend

Old 08-19-2018, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rough weekend

My family and I went to our preferred vacation spot this weekend. It’s a major trigger for me: everyone drinks, the drinks flow freely, people start drinking at breakfast, we are surrounded by drinking. I did not drink but I definitely did not act with grace and dignity on Friday. I was so MAD and my whole family bore the brunt of my anger. Thankfully, I was able to calm down about three hours later and enjoy the rest of my weekend.

I secluded myself from all the drinkers, had extra one on one time with my kids, we went to bed at a reasonable time and we ended up having a great weekend.

I’m so grateful that I didn’t drink, that I was able to regain my emotional control, and that I was able to spend quality time with the family - I’ve never spent good,sober time with my kids there.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Sounds like you focused on what is really important: good sober time with your kids! Very important to all of you. Make tomorrrow's great memories now! Glad you didn't drink.
Maybe getting angry was cathartic and pushed you further down the sober recovery path.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through the weekend.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Well done navigating that tough situation Atlast
Old 08-19-2018, 04:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good going. Glad you shared.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just wanna say I really relate to the part of the story where you got mad. It’s hard to turn that around, for me anyway. Good going.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I spent a lot of time 'mad' in early sobriety. Thing is, I now recognise that I had a kind of default that just kind flipped any negative emotion into 'angry'. I think that felt safe and like I was protecting myself, whereas some of the other negative emotions that were underneath it felt just too vulnerable. Risky, you know?

I don't know if you've ever seen the Anger Iceberg diagram. If not, it might be worth taking a look and thinking what could have been underneath that anger for you. ... https://goo.gl/images/i7Ctju

BB
Old 08-20-2018, 04:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That is a rough weekend, and good job navigating through those waters.

Use the experience gained the next time you are in a similar situation. Knowing that you can have a great time while sober, makes remaining sober more comfortable, more attainable, more real.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In the past when I stopped drinking for an extended time, I began to see family events and other big drinking situations as a welcome challenge. Each one that I made it through further galvanized my resolve and made me that much more confident that I was unshakable. I actually reached the point where I would be happy and hanging out drinking with everyone. They would be drinking alcohol and I would be slugging back Perrier's with limes! Everything was going great but in the end I F'd it all up!
Old 08-20-2018, 09:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Atlast9999 View Post
My family and I went to our preferred vacation spot this weekend. It’s a major trigger for me: everyone drinks, the drinks flow freely, people start drinking at breakfast, we are surrounded by drinking. I did not drink but I definitely did not act with grace and dignity on Friday. I was so MAD and my whole family bore the brunt of my anger. Thankfully, I was able to calm down about three hours later and enjoy the rest of my weekend.

I secluded myself from all the drinkers, had extra one on one time with my kids, we went to bed at a reasonable time and we ended up having a great weekend.

I’m so grateful that I didn’t drink, that I was able to regain my emotional control, and that I was able to spend quality time with the family - I’ve never spent good,sober time with my kids there.
Excellent work. I endured/enjoyed the same kind of weekend recently. In the end being home and having been sober was such a gift to give myself. Hope you recognize that - you gave yourself such peace. Good sober muscles get built in experiences like that as well.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you didn't drink too AtLast
great stuff

D
Old 08-20-2018, 08:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
I spent a lot of time 'mad' in early sobriety. Thing is, I now recognise that I had a kind of default that just kind flipped any negative emotion into 'angry'. I think that felt safe and like I was protecting myself, whereas some of the other negative emotions that were underneath it felt just too vulnerable. Risky, you know?

I don't know if you've ever seen the Anger Iceberg diagram. If not, it might be worth taking a look and thinking what could have been underneath that anger for you. ... https://goo.gl/images/i7Ctju

BB
Thanks for sharing this. The image is very helpful. So much so that I saved it to my phone. Time to get to work on those long buried emotions, eh?
Old 08-20-2018, 08:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SLB68 View Post
In the past when I stopped drinking for an extended time, I began to see family events and other big drinking situations as a welcome challenge. Each one that I made it through further galvanized my resolve and made me that much more confident that I was unshakable. I actually reached the point where I would be happy and hanging out drinking with everyone. They would be drinking alcohol and I would be slugging back Perrier's with limes! Everything was going great but in the end I F'd it all up!
Yeah, I was definitely worried headed into the weekend. My sober muscles are still developing so it’s hard going in social events or known triggers. It’s good your back here on SR.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tnek97 View Post
That is a rough weekend, and good job navigating through those waters.

Use the experience gained the next time you are in a similar situation. Knowing that you can have a great time while sober, makes remaining sober more comfortable, more attainable, more real.
Thanks. I’ve read that often on here so I’m looking forward to experiencing more security and comfort in my sobriety.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bexxed View Post
Just wanna say I really relate to the part of the story where you got mad. It’s hard to turn that around, for me anyway. Good going.
It sure is hard to turn that anger around...I hope that gets easier as well, for both of us!
Old 08-20-2018, 08:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Sounds like you focused on what is really important: good sober time with your kids! Very important to all of you. Make tomorrrow's great memories now! Glad you didn't drink.
Maybe getting angry was cathartic and pushed you further down the sober recovery path.
Yes, my kids and family are the important part. I’m glad I “woke up” finally and figured that out! Perhaps the anger was helpful this weekend...