Notices

Recovery

Old 08-18-2018, 04:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery

It's at the forefront of my mind. In a few different ways...

The past few days - since my release from jail on Tuesday - I've been fighting a nasty bug. Fever, aches, etc.. I've no doubt it's a result of the sleep deprivation, stress, **** poor nutrition, filth, etc.. I found myself in for the week I spent locked up. That place was terrible. I'm grateful to not be there.

I feel a bit more human, finally, today. Still resting though. I plan to pretty much keep life very simple between now and the end of August... just to make sure I get my head on squarely.

The most serious and intense consequences of my accident in February are now behind me. I find myself now starting to think about my recovery and what I want my future to look like. What will I do to replace that voice in me that needs to live a bit on the edge at times? How will I find a way to tether myself to the community so that I never forget and so that I can repay - even in the littlest ways - all that I owe?

I don't know yet. I don't have to. The obstacles I was forced to overcome this summer have my confidence to make things work and make things happen at a very high level. The experience in jail provides a new filter through which I view things.... things I thought were a hassle before I don't even think twice about now.

I'll rest for the remainder of August. In September I'll start doing some things/ planning some things, figuring out and planning for what's next. I have some ideas.

When I think back 6 months, to February, there's no way I would have believed the changes I've made were possible. There's no way I would have felt like today would ever be here - through and done with the thick of it. But now it's here. And the last 6 months feel like they went by in the blink of an eye. Time is funny that way. But I feel like I appreciate it more these days, and for that I'm grateful.

I am sober. In 6 days I'll have 6 months.

If you are reading this and just started your journey... set some goals, make a plan, and trust yourself to it. It will be a guiding light to you when things get dark. Our minds wander... our minds think too far ahead... our minds drag up the past... our minds wander. It's in those times that the mind is wandering that you need to be able to ground yourself - remind yourself - I have a plan and I'm working it. And that's good enough for today.

Best-

B
Old 08-18-2018, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I turned the ‘living on the edge’ tendency toward positive things..... volunteerism, building new programs for kids, exercise, distance running, surfing, martial arts, new heights in my career, extreme-awesome fatherhood.... there are SO many fantastic ways to ‘take it to the edge’ for goodness, in service, in health.

Try new things that involve health and giving and positive purpose, you’ll find new and incredibly rewarding ways to channel that intensity.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

B: if I recall correctly, you said you do life coaching. Get back into that. There’s no doubt you’ve got a lot to offer.

Good job on 6 months.

I’m consistently impressed with your temerity and fortitude.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great read, great work, very proud to be walking this sober path with you.

Thank you for sharing your experiences here. They've helped me greatly and it's something else to be an example of strength, responsibility and grown up ways.

Here's to saving ourselves. Keep us updated man.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Six months is amazing Buckley!
Old 08-18-2018, 10:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Excellent on 6 months, Buckley. I'm glad the worst is behind you and that you are looking to the future with positivity and excitement. Wishing you the best.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 Buckley,
Great post.
Keep your nose clean stick to your guns, sounds like you are getting ready to do some really good things.