Notices

My forms of motivation...

Old 08-17-2018, 05:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My forms of motivation...

Hey All,

It's been a while since I've last posted on here. I started my sobriety journey about a year ago. No, I have not been sober for a year. I've fallen off the wagon a few times. I assume a lot have. Anyway...today has been 1 full week. I'm coming off of a 3 month bender drinking a 5th of Captain a night. Yes, it's been rough. but I feel really good about this this time. I've been talking to more people this time and telling more people about my goals to stay sober to help hold myself more accountable than before. I know this sound kind of funny, but I've been listening to a lot of self help/motivational cd's. Pretty much based on developing a strong mind to develop a strong body. There's a quote that has stayed with me all week long. "My past will remind me...it will not define me".

I know this might not work for all, but for the past week, I've kept about a shot of rum left in the last bottle I drank and that's still in my freezer. I keep it in there to remind me. To remind me of my past. It's been hard to keep it in there, but I'm doing really well with it. This is the way I look at it...it's about 1 shot. If i drink it, it will do nothing for me. It's not enough to get me drunk. Nor is it enough to make me feel better. And it's for sure not enough to give me a hangover. It would do NOTHING for me. Just the same if it was a full bottle. It still would do NOTHING for me. Just like these 10 years I drank away. It NEVER did anything for me but slowly kill me, waste my money, and kill relationships in my life. I'm better than that bottle of poison.

I'm wondering what types of motivation you all have to keep the drink away? Tips and ideas?

I feel absolutely great by the way. Sleeping better now and at the end of the day, I feel more accomplished than before.

Thanks for the open ears guys!

-Chris
Old 08-17-2018, 08:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My motivation for staying sober is that I don't want to go back to the hell of drinking.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree that least just about sums it up.

I woke up early this morning, having gone to bed late last night. My eyes aren’t burning, my head isn’t throbbing. I do not feel anxious, depressed or overwhelmed. I look better, and lost 4kgs.

On Sunday I no longer worry that the liquor isle will close at 15h00 (by us it does), and I haven’t stocked up yet.

I no longer get angry that people are interfering with my drinking time.

I still have things that stress me out, but longer quite feel like sticking my head in the sand.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It may bring eye rolls, but the life I've built sober really is my motivation to continue

D
Old 08-18-2018, 04:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

At fi st my motivation was not to die. I was at that point and had a choice to make.

Now my motivation is to keep the amazing life I have in recovery. It's my first priority, because living well in recovery gives me everything else I have.

I have plenty of reminders in my mind of what my life used to be like, generally compartmentalized because staying in that headspace would cripple me. Today is where I try to live, and I don't keep remnants of alcohol and it's stranglehold on me around, literally or figuratively.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Whatever it takes in the early days. Your method of keeping a small amount around would not have worked for me, but if it works for you then good on ya.

I couldn't tell you exactly when it happened, but at some point I transitioned from not allowing alcohol to influence me by drinking it to no longer being influenced by the alcohol that I don't drink.

I didn't want to be anywhere near it for a while, but assiduously avoiding alcohol was nearly as tiring as continuously planning my next binge had been. At some point I just made my peace with it and stopped planning my life around alcohol.

Congrats on embracing a sober life!
Old 08-18-2018, 06:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Everything is better without it (as you alluded: sleep, motivation, energy, finances).

Oddly, fear of consequences isn't why I stopped.

I stopped because time was wasting, and time is a very valuable commodity.

As the expression goes, life isn't a dress rehearsal.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Cjmyers513;6987410]Hey All,

It's been a while since I've last posted on here. I started my sobriety journey about a year ago. No, I have not been sober for a year. I've fallen off the wagon a few times. I assume a lot have. Anyway...today has been 1 full week. I'm coming off of a 3 month bender drinking a 5th of Captain a night. Yes, it's been rough. but I feel really good about this this time. I've been talking to more people this time and telling more people about my goals to stay sober to help hold myself more accountable than before. I know this sound kind of funny, but I've been listening to a lot of self help/motivational cd's. Pretty much based on developing a strong mind to develop a strong body. There's a quote that has stayed with me all week long. "My past will remind me...it will not define me".

I know this might not work for all, but for the past week, I've kept about a shot of rum left in the last bottle I drank and that's still in my freezer. I keep it in there to remind me. To remind me of my past. It's been hard to keep it in there, but I'm doing really well with it. This is the way I look at it...it's about 1 shot. If i drink it, it will do nothing for me. It's not enough to get me drunk. Nor is it enough to make me feel better. And it's for sure not enough to give me a hangover. It would do NOTHING for me. Just the same if it was a full bottle. It still would do NOTHING for me. Just like these 10 years I drank away. It NEVER did anything for me but slowly kill me, waste my money, and kill relationships in my life. I'm better than that bottle of poison.

I'm wondering what types of motivation you all have to keep the drink away? Tips and ideas?

I feel absolutely great by the way. Sleeping better now and at the end of the day, I feel more accomplished than before.

Thanks for the open ears guys!

-Chris[

Never ever think your life is over, but know that each day, each moment, is another beginning, another chance to re-create yourself anew.
Neale Donald Walsch