Notices

What is the most important thing in your sobriety?

Old 08-16-2018, 04:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its the only way for me to be my authentic self.
Nice to hear all the variety of reasons

D
Old 08-16-2018, 04:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
For me right now, acceptance and honesty. Acceptance to the core of my being that I'm an alcoholic and can never safely drink again. Honesty with myself and others about everything. And I do mean everything. Honesty frees me in a way I never thought possible.

In the near future, I will consider myself ready to really start giving it away, by sponsoring. I'm still a bit afraid to do it. I do help newcomers whenever I can, and I can tell by doing so that it's the best way to ensure long-term sobriety. It feels right.
I totally get this MLD. My sponsor told me I would be able to sponsor people well, and while she didn't pressure me to do that kind of service work, she sure had confidence in me before my own intuition propelled me to act on it! It is a privilege to work with others, and now after maybe nine or so months since the first potential sponsee popped up in my life, I definitely see how it benefits the sponsors as much as the sponsees.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
SWB

Sounds abvious but being sober itself is the most important thing to me. My relationship with my parter as well which I almost lost, and not near fixed yet.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Knowing I am taking the best possible care of my dogs and cats because I am sober. Their health and happiness is my reward every day.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Relationship with a loving higher power - stops me feeling responsible for everything and everyone.

My god, thinking I was in charge of everyone and everything, that pressure alone would have made anyone drink.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The most important part of my sobriety is is that I no longer feel stuck. I feel much better now. I can actually relax and enjoy what is going on instead of obsessing over getting drunk. My anxiety is greatly reduced now. FREEDOM.