Notices

How long did you wait to trust yourself around alcohol?

Old 08-15-2018, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long did you wait to trust yourself around alcohol?

Just curious - how long did you wait to trust yourself to be around alcohol again in a social situation and not drink? I'm on day 11 now and I don't plan on putting myself in that position for at least a month or so (or longer if I feel the need to) but I'm just wondering what other people's experience with this was.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
If I had a dime for every time I made a mistake, I would be sitting on a big pile of dimes.

Depends

I think it depends on how you are feeling. I went out Saturday night with friends. took flavored sticks to put in my water, everyone else was drinking and it didn't even look appealing to me. Now the last couple of days, I have been tired and crabby, been some emotional upset and such. I wouldn't want to be around people drinking. Because when things get a little bumpy or I am tired, angry, emotional, that is where I turned and I know I don't want to be around a bunch of alcohol at that time.

I just have a short time under my belt 10 days, been sober for months on end before, but that is my two cents, for what it is worth.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me several months sober before I trusted myself to be around drinking.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

8 months....but everyone is different!
Old 08-15-2018, 08:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As my AH continued to drink when I quit, it was around me all the time. I learnt to take no notice of it.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

One,

I craved ferociously for well into a year.

I didn't deny myself any activity. I went to every party and event....

I studied drinkers and non drinkers...

I learned so much that helped me get this far sober...

I know a tree falls where it leans though...so when i see folks drinking i have to be on guard and role the tape...

I have to remember why i quit....

I feel so amazing....but...feeling amazing is a trigger for an addict like me.

Addict for life.

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Its coming up on 3 years and I still don't trust myself in some situations, so I avoid them.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I trust myself to be around alcohol but I don’t intentionally put myself in situations where it would be a strong temptation. For example, I will eat at a restaurant that has a bar because I’m there for the food. But I don’t hang out at bars anymore. I’ll go to a wedding reception, but I won’t go to a bachelor party. I attended my 30 year class reunion, but not the after party at a local bar.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

When I got home from rehab I was advised to get all of the wine out of my house immediately, I had a fair amount left in my collection that I didn't drink on my final binge. It wasn't calling to me, so I didn't bother. There's still a lot left, I have it for guests and have given a lot of it away.

Socially I waited for about 90 days. I have a big group of friends who are all wine lovers, and I'm a certified somm, so our socialization often took the form of hanging out and tasting wine all night. However they were all extremely supportive of my sobriety, and visited me in rehab every weekend. The offered to do a sober party and I said I'd play it by ear, and would leave if I felt uncomfortable. It was fine. I didn't miss negotiating with the wine all night so I didn't get too buzzed or was unable to drive home. Nobody got too wasted. They told me they were kind of shocked that I had such a huge drinking problem, as I was always the responsible one who took 1-2 oz pours, limited those, and stopped well before I had to leave to drive home. WHat they didn't know is that i'd go home and pound a bottle or two and/or some vodka shots until I blacked out. I realized one ground rule. No open bottles of hard liquor in my sight. For at least 8 months I found that was a huge temptation and trigger, because I could take a quick swig when alone in the room and nobody would know, and I didn't want to be in that situation. I think I went to my first party there at about 90 days.

Bars were tough for the first 4 months or so, I didn't like to be in them. Something clicked though, when I worked through a strong trigger/craving in my group outpatient rehab. I had a safety net and was able to work through it. After that I couldn't care less about being in a bar. I was never a fan of socializing in gay bars, and I'm still not that into it. I tried going alone to meet people and found it wasn't really a conducive environment for this, so I haven't been back. I'd go hang with a group of friends though. Fortunately the gay world has changed so bars aren't such a central focus anymore.

I'm at the point where it really doesn't matter where I end up. I am no longer a drinker. Period.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A couple of days. The answer is going to hugely vary from person to person, but I went straight out there and attended gatherings in bars and restaurants with multiple people drinking around me.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've gone to a wet establishment 3 times in the last month to shoot pool.

I'm a non-drinker, so it doesn't matter where I am.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Not yet 😉

Depends who and where really...no way I’m going to my local or out with my brother whilst he drinks. No way, possibly never - we’ll see

Went to a short meeting about football in anorher pub on Saturday less than three weeks dry. Easy. Although I did begrudge the price of soft drinks!! What I like to drink is water with ice but I felt bad so bought a really expensive OJ and lemonade 😂😂

No rush for me!!
Old 08-15-2018, 11:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The way I look at it is, the only one stopping me from drinking, is me. My BF still drinks, he even drinks the same beer I used to drink, there's usually some in my fridge. Besides, alcohol is everywhere, it's really hard to 100% shelter ourselves from it.

All the same, I did change the way I socialize and I would orchestrate situations so I didn't have to hang around bars or go to events that focus solely around drinking. I got comfortable setting boundaries about how to handle still drinking friends and relatives.

Some cool things came out of changing how I socialized though. I started trying new things, getting more adventuresome. I also started being more family oriented. And I developed a love of learning and music again. It was addition from subtraction.... all I had to do was get rid of that one thing - that had been eating away at my soul anyway - drinking, and all these new things opened up.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This time round it was about 2-3 months. I knew I needed an escape plan in place.
Slipped up countless times in the past trying to wing it
Old 08-15-2018, 11:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BillieJean1 View Post
The way I look at it is, the only one stopping me from drinking, is me. My BF still drinks, he even drinks the same beer I used to drink, there's usually some in my fridge. Besides, alcohol is everywhere, it's really hard to 100% shelter ourselves from it.

All the same, I did change the way I socialize and I would orchestrate situations so I didn't have to hang around bars or go to events that focus solely around drinking. I got comfortable setting boundaries about how to handle still drinking friends and relatives.

Some cool things came out of changing how I socialized though. I started trying new things, getting more adventuresome. I also started being more family oriented. And I developed a love of learning and music again. It was addition from subtraction.... all I had to do was get rid of that one thing - that had been eating away at my soul anyway - drinking, and all these new things opened up.
You can do all these cool things or you can drink. You can’t do both.
Nice one billy j
Old 08-15-2018, 11:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's a two part question for me - I trust myself around alcohol so I don't avoid social gatherings bc I'm afraid of drinking. However even now I don't always enjoy being around drinking bc it gets me unreasonably frustrated that I'm a nondrinker. I'm just not there yet.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Never. Once an alcoholic, always on my toes. But it is still early for me.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
AA Member

still dont
Old 08-15-2018, 01:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just prefer to not be around people drinking, not in fear that I am going to drink but because they are annoying and the smell of alcohol breath is terrible.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was about 10 months.

But, even now, I'm seldom around alcohol.