Notices

Any suggestions to help with sleep in early sobriety.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Any suggestions to help with sleep in early sobriety.

Hi. I'm new here. This is day 4 for me after a horrific 3-day binge. I've had it with alcohol and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to stay sober.

My question is, when will I be able to sleep? I've tried OTC sleeping pills, a doctor prescribed sleep medicine, melatonin, hypnosis videos, but no luck. It's been three straight days without sleep now and my face and brain are a wreck -- eyes are dry, red and sore, with huge, dark bags, and I feel like I'm on the verge of going crazy.

Right now I'm trying an herbal tea called "Knockout Tea." It's made with chamomile, valerian, hops and some other stuff that kinda looks like ground up hay. I'm hoping it will live up to its name.

Anyone else have this problem in early sobriety? Any suggestions about things that worked? I'm really anxious to start getting out to exercise and do other healthy things, but right now I'm afraid to drive my car because I feel too foggy.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Alice. We are all different. I’m really new to sobriety. For me I stared sleeping well after about ten days. I now sleep like a baby, even if some nights I fall asleep later than I did when I was passing out every night

The quality of sleep is a different level. And not having a hangover makes it even sweeter.

As I said, everyone’s experience is different but I’d encourage you that for me after eight or ten days I felt physically 138.7% better !!

I eat better now I’m not drinking, and do a bit of exercise, and meditate for a bit. Maybe that’s making me sleep well too? Also smacking water down like it’s going out of fashion

Good luck, report back if 8 days you also feel much better physically
Old 08-13-2018, 11:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Use it as time to reflect, what booze has done. You're plan to stay sober, to never end up in this situation again, etc,..
Old 08-14-2018, 01:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi
Be kind to yourself, your brain and body is going through a massive process of change.

My advice is to set a regular time for bed and stick to it.
Set yourself a programme of things that you do to prep yourself for sleep
Possibly a bath or warm shower
As you have said camomile tea is often used.
Read a book. This helps with thoughts and imagination without visual image your brain has to create the image just like when you are dreaming.
I would avoid tv, computer, social media just before bed.

The doctor can help also but be very wary of sleeping tablets as they are addictive and can cause further problems for the newly sober. I did use very sparingly in early sobriety but only when I absolutely could not go without.

Your body is detoxing so getting the poisons out of the system and not adding more is important. Exercise is very useful not only for the heart but it helps to with the clean up sending water in through the system and swearing it out through the skin.

Body and mind takes time to heal but it should not be long before you start to sleep better. Eventually you I'll be sleeping better than you can ever remember👍
Old 08-14-2018, 01:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi,

just take your time. When I stopped drinking it took me about two weeks before I could sleep properly, but after that I've slept very well (about 17 months sober now). You'll have plenty of time to exercise after you get enough sleep, don't worry about that now. Just take it easy, it will get better.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the advice and encouragement! I appreciate it.

If nothing helps, I'll just wait it out, reflect and plan.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Everything that Dustitoff Man said, plus I used some of my booze money to make my bedroom a haven. New sheets, new pillow etc. Total springclean. Bought an atomiser for aromatherapy. It helped. Lots of fresh air if you can. How you would get a baby to sleep is one way to think of it. Good luck
Old 08-14-2018, 02:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Aliceiw

I routinely took around a week to ten days to fall back into a regular sleeping pattern ranging from no sleep the first night and getting progressively better from there.

I think time is the most important factor but there are some common sense suggestions here:

https://www.better-sleep-better-life...mnia-tips.html

http://www.nhs.uk/live-well/sleep-an...beat-insomnia/

D
Old 08-14-2018, 04:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hi Alice I’m on day 7 and still trying to regulate my sleeping patterns.

I’ve just been staying out of my bedroom until I am really ready to fall asleep. I don’t like to toss and turn in my bed. I’ll lie on my couch and read or watch a movie. Once my eyelids start to get heavy then I go to bed.

Nights 1-3 were miserable and barely slept all. Nights 4 and 5 were my best so far. Last night was a little shaky but not terrible. So it’s a process. Just need to be patient and eventually your body readjusts.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It takes time to adjust to sleeping naturally. It will come.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on making it to day four

The sleep will come soon and it will be amazing; it's one of the reasons I've been staying sober, I haven't slept like this in years.

I know everyone is different but here are some suggestions I have tried as well as some of my friends:

- Amyris essential oil (lavendar is good to. DoTerra has a peace blend that I really like as well to relax m body. Apply it on your body and/or pillows and bedding)
- Warm baths, dimly lit
- Sleepytime tea (I've never heard of the knock out stuff but they have several blends you can try)
- Nirvana meditation app; it's guided meditation that helps you sleep)
- Reading (I used to sit there and cry at 3am thinking "ugh, I'll never sleep, why am I even trying to stimulate my brain right now..." and then knock out 10 minutes later).

Good luck and sweet dreams <3
Old 08-14-2018, 08:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Magnesium. Magnesium (which resources can be severely drained by chronic alcohol abuse) deficiency can cause/exacerbate a number of conditions, including insomnia. I've been taking magnesium citrate and using a topical magnesium/Dead sea salt spray and I have been thrilled with the results. I was an insomniac before I was a drinker, so sleep is a precious commodity to me.
Actually, the topical spray is supposed to help with stress relief. Maybe it's a sugar pill effect, but I used it in the evenings during the early recovery jitters and found it very soothing.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I take melatonin, but early on nothing worked. Eventually you will sleep, when the body gets tired enough. I feel for ya because its brutal early on.