SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 23, on vacation sober (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/431231-day-23-vacation-sober.html)

RoverVA 08-13-2018 09:44 PM

Day 23, on vacation sober

Hi All,

I haven't posted in few days, since I have been on vacation with my family. I must say, this is my first vacation sober in many years. I started out pretty good without any alcohol, and enjoyed each day spending time with my kids at the beach and the pool. But there are moments, I wanted a drink, only because being surrounded by people drinking. Funny thing is I have no cravings for alcohol, but just wanted a drink because I know I should not have any. Going into Day 23 today, I know it will get better as each day goes by.

SR has been my support group since I joined prior to quitting and continue to be my support. You all are awesome.

MindfulMan 08-13-2018 09:53 PM

Stay strong. You're still pretty early, I'm not sure I could have done it at 23 days.

BUt you got this!

BullDog777 08-13-2018 10:25 PM

stay strong! you know what it took to get you here. nothing is worth a relapse. it gets infinitely harder every time you lose time.

Drink lots of water and stay away from fruit drinks. That helped me. I also developed a taste for seltzer water on my first vacation. now i always have it in the fridge.

have a good time!

PhoenixJ 08-13-2018 11:15 PM

:scoregood

RoverVA 08-14-2018 08:13 AM

Thank you all.

@BullDog, funny you said about the water, I have been drinking Sparkling water a lot, and just like you I always have them in the fridge. :)

least 08-14-2018 08:24 AM

Congrats on 23 days sober! :) Keep going, it gets better. :)

lessgravity 08-14-2018 09:08 AM

Vacation here myself. Stay strong and sober and enjoy the time away. Though it's not the easiest, it builds good sober muscles to see the urges come and go.

Atlast9999 08-14-2018 01:15 PM

Stay strong Rover and enjoy your vacation!

skipper123 08-14-2018 01:38 PM

I can totally relate . I leave for a beach vacation this weekend and I am a bit worried. I have 40 days and don’t want to cave . The last sober vacation I had was great but I was so proud of myself that when I went home i bought a bottle of wine . Good luck and think about the great mornings hangover free!!

Hevyn 08-14-2018 01:41 PM

23 days - how wonderful, Rover. You're right - it'll get less stressful as you gain more sober time. I was a bit resentful in the early days - seeing others enjoying a drink. But that's the thing....for us, it's never "a" drink. Always too many, & huge regrets afterwards. Finally knowing that has been such a blessing. We are free!

PalmerSage 08-14-2018 01:41 PM

23 days is so great! I know exactly what you mean about vacation, my only coping mechanism was to exercise as much as I could while eating every junk food in sight... ;)