Notices

Day 66_ nightmare occurrence

Old 08-13-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 66_ nightmare occurrence

I am celebrating 66 days sober today. I am very happy and have not had any desire to drink or even think about drinking. I love waking up Hangover free. My days are no longer cloudy
One hiccup though, for the last 3 nights or so, I have been having dreams of drowning in alcohol, the nightmares are so vivid that I wake up scared thinking that I am hungover and my soberness was just in my head. Has anyone experienced these types of
dreams/nightmares before!? I don’t normally dream at all and would like to keep it that way lol.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drinking dreams are common. I hardly ever have them now but did for a while. I was just glad to wake up and know it was just a dream.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have had several drinking dreams and I don’t mind them too much . I love dreaming and when I was passed out drunk every night I either didn’t get into a deep enough sleep yo dream or was just too drunk to remember. I am really enjoying some of the dreams I have been having
Old 08-13-2018, 08:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 66 days DeeLiz!!! I’m at 61 and have very vivid dreams. Sometimes they are drinking dreams, more often they are hungover dreams. They seem to be less vivid than in the early days so I’m assuming that this too shall pass.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have them occasionally. They usually go like this: I'm pounding drinks and yuckin it up and all the sudden I remember my commitment. I realize I blew it.

I've learned to deal with the shock (they are unsettling) by focusing on how much better things are when I wake up, like a kind of gratitude inventory or something.

Seems to help.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I too had them, right around the 2 - 3 month mark, and was greatful they were just dreams then.
I haven't had a single one since and I'm closing in on 10 months. Actually I had to just think about how far along I am, now that alcohol is out of my life.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all

Thanks everyone ! I thought I was going cuckoo! My dreams are way too vivid, I even woke up hungover -_- and I was so mad at myself for thinking I had drank the night before
Old 08-14-2018, 08:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Once I began saturating my life with a
continuous program of recovery, faith
and belief, then my dreams began to
reflect the way I am living.

It's awesome to wake up and my dream
was about telling someone that I don't
drink and that Im sober.

Now that's a gift worth living for..!!!
Old 08-14-2018, 09:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just had one, about cleaning up the kitchen and gathering all the bottles, dumping what was left, running the dishwasher and then finding more glasses that I'd overlooked. Woke up and went searching for the glasses I'd seen, only to figure out it was a dream and not real. Kind of freaky - it seemed so real. Our minds are really a trip some nights!
Old 08-14-2018, 02:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aasharon90 View Post
Once I began saturating my life with a
continuous program of recovery, faith
and belief, then my dreams began to
reflect the way I am living.

It's awesome to wake up and my dream
was about telling someone that I don't
drink and that Im sober.

Now that's a gift worth living for..!!!
I agree. I went to church on Sunday for the first time in a very long time. As I sat there, and looked around at the people there, waiting for sermon to begin, I realized how much better it is to look forward to something genuine, filling my heart with pure hope and amazement. I look forward to a healthier me, I am connecting little by little with the part of me that was once lost. I hope that one Day my dreams become more of a place like Sunday, filled with joy.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladysadie View Post
I just had one, about cleaning up the kitchen and gathering all the bottles, dumping what was left, running the dishwasher and then finding more glasses that I'd overlooked. Woke up and went searching for the glasses I'd seen, only to figure out it was a dream and not real. Kind of freaky - it seemed so real. Our minds are really a trip some nights!
Indeed, our minds, who would have thought that it will bring me back to something I am desperately trying to run away from. It is scary to say the least. I am grateful now that I know it’s just dreams. I like the sober version of myself
Old 08-14-2018, 02:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Not often, but I've had a couple scary ones, where once I woke up, it took quite a few seconds to realize I had only dreamt that I drank.
As you stated- "vivid"
Old 08-14-2018, 02:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on 66 days, btw!
Old 08-14-2018, 05:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I get booze dreams now and then. I think they are pretty common.

I know for me when I do get them - and it isn't that often - they are very vivid and usually very intense.

I've written it off as my brain just continuing the work of re-wiring itself. Maybe some old neuro-pathways are screaming out as they get weaker and weaker.

But yes I sure can relate to how unsettling they can be sometimes.

B