Notices

I went to my office Summer Party on Saturday...

Old 08-13-2018, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I went to my office Summer Party on Saturday...

...and remained sober!

I don't even work for them any more! I'm a UK expat who moved to America because of my husband's job. Luckily my company had an office in the USA close to his, so I could work remotely as an illustrator/animator for my UK team from inside our USA office. My UK team had mass redundancies in December, so I chose to accept redundancy/ severance pay rather than be moved into another department, as it would be tough to move to a brand new art team if they're all based in the UK. I'd never even meet my team in person and I have no training in the software they use.

It's nice because I still get invited to our USA parties because people here still class me as part of their office The booze was of course all free, so my husband enjoyed that. I stuck to cola.

I get bad social anxiety, so I was really worried about going to a big Summer party and not drinking around people I'm used to drinking a lot with, but it was honestly fine. I see a lot of posts on this forum about concerns when going to parties or weddings, but it CAN be done. Take it from me who thought I needed to drink to cope in literally ANY social scenario.

There was once a time where all of us didn't need to drink to deal with these sorts of occasions. We're just so used to doing so over the years, that we forget we are capable of doing it without booze. For some people it will take a lot longer than me, for some a lot less time, but I believe everyone can get there eventually and live a sober life.

I'm now on day 15, but prior to that I had over 50 days sober, so my plan is to stick at it and definitely beat those 50 days!
Old 08-13-2018, 03:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

Old 08-13-2018, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it NerfThis.

I hope I won't diminish your achievement if I say yeah it can be done, but I always advise folks not to bite off too much too soon.

I tried road testing my sobriety pretty much straight away a bunch of times and always ended up relapsing, either at the event or shortly after.

Savour your success - but stay vigilant too

D
Old 08-14-2018, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

I tried road testing my sobriety pretty much straight away a bunch of times and always ended up relapsing, either at the event or shortly after.

D
Thanks Dee. I was worried about this too, but I've done a few activities so far and not felt jealous of other people drinking or the need to drink myself. My husband's Birthday cocktails in the city with a huge crowd plus the meal he organized with colleagues recently would have been the situations I'd most likely drink in (due to the huge anxiety I get before meeting up with people I don't know very well) but I was fine at both.

Basically if there's an event and I suddenly feel like I will drink if I attend it, I won't go. My best friends are flying over to see me at the end of this month and have all been advised that I absolutely do not drink any more.