Notices

Drank 12 pints yesterday. 100 days today.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drank 12 pints yesterday. 100 days today.

12 pints of water! That's how much water I drink a day. No health problems, I just enjoy sipping water while I'm programming and the odd cup of tea. I cut out all sugar drinks except a few spoons in my cup of tea.

I've touched 3 digits. My goal is now 4 digits. I'm a 1/10 of the way there.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Go 16!! Always good to hear from you
Old 08-13-2018, 07:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A trip to the gym 4-5 times a week is a big part of my sobriety plan. Thus drinking large quantities of water is a must. I soak through my t shirts in every workout. Feels great.
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
Go 16!! Always good to hear from you
Our sobriety dates are very close. Going to add mine in my sig. Sober buddies Congrats to you too.
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 100 days sober!
Old 08-13-2018, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
A trip to the gym 4-5 times a week is a big part of my sobriety plan. Thus drinking large quantities of water is a must. I soak through my t shirts in every workout. Feels great.
I work out at home 3 times a week too. I have a nice free weight set and bench. I'm the same since quitting alcohol I sweat so much more.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

100 days, Wow! Congratulations

Prior to going sober, I'd only drink water with flavoured drops in during the week (then would booze like a maniac on most weekends) but since going sober I have been drinking coca cola most nights. My drink of choice on weekends was rum and coke, so the absence of that sugar probably explains my new liking for cola on it's own! I do go to the gym a lot though, so I'm trying not to worry about any weight gain from it
Old 08-13-2018, 07:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NerfThis View Post
100 days, Wow! Congratulations

Prior to going sober, I'd only drink water with flavoured drops in during the week (then would booze like a maniac on most weekends) but since going sober I have been drinking coca cola most nights. My drink of choice on weekends was rum and coke, so the absence of that sugar probably explains my new liking for cola on it's own! I do go to the gym a lot though, so I'm trying not to worry about any weight gain from it
Up until a week ago I was also drinking lots of sugary drinks. I was a sugar addict. But I think this is a very normal part of sobriety. I could drink 2 bottles of coca cola a day. At some point my body just stopped wanting that much sugar.

I've lost weight. I'm at 95kg now. I was 101kg at one point. I don't eat a lot of junk to be honest and keep my meals small. I probably under eat but right now I'm aiming for my target weight of around 85kg.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 16YearsDrunk View Post
Up until a week ago I was also drinking lots of sugary drinks. I was a sugar addict. But I think this is a very normal part of sobriety. I could drink 2 bottles of coca cola a day. At some point my body just stopped wanting that much sugar.

I've lost weight. I'm at 95kg now. I was 101kg at one point. I don't eat a lot of junk to be honest and keep my meals small. I probably under eat but right now I'm aiming for my target weight of around 85kg.
Congratulations on the weight loss!

yes I think you're absolutely correct, as I have a huge interest in desserts now, but prior to this all I cared for were savoury foods.

I'm actually trying to gain weight which is probably another reason for me not worrying so much about what I drink (as long as it isn't alcohol). I'm a 5 foot 8 inch tall woman weighing 120 pounds, but I do some weight training during the week so am trying to eat more!
Old 08-13-2018, 10:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NerfThis View Post
Congratulations on the weight loss!

yes I think you're absolutely correct, as I have a huge interest in desserts now, but prior to this all I cared for were savoury foods.

I'm actually trying to gain weight which is probably another reason for me not worrying so much about what I drink (as long as it isn't alcohol). I'm a 5 foot 8 inch tall woman weighing 120 pounds, but I do some weight training during the week so am trying to eat more!
Is it a loss of appetite? I had that during early sobriety too. Tbh I don't think it's came back fully lol!
Old 08-13-2018, 10:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 16YearsDrunk View Post
Is it a loss of appetite? I had that during early sobriety too. Tbh I don't think it's came back fully lol!
I've actually gained appetite since not drinking. I used to eat normally during the week, but on the weekend, the alcohol would make me not want to eat much at all (the polar opposite of how I was in my 20's)

I was trying to put on weight before because of resistance training, but the alcohol was causing me to skip a lot of weekend meals. Now I'm luckily eating all the time
Old 08-13-2018, 11:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just a word of caution?

Drinking too much water can cause serious side effects and in extreme circumstances even death. No matter how much you sweat 12 pints is a lot of water to take in during a short period of time. Please google hyponatremia.

Best Regards

JT
Old 08-13-2018, 11:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life is good

"A few other tips to keep in mind are as follows:

Pace yourself.

Spread your water intake throughout the day, says dietitian Katherine Zeratsky. If you spend hours without a drink and then chug a bottle of water, you’ll lose much of it through the plumbing.

Watch your sodium.

Drinking too much can cause dangerously low levels of sodium—some long-distance runners have even died as a result. If your workout is long and intense, you may run low on sodium or carbs. Sports drinks and rehydration drinks can solve both problems."
Body size and many other things can come into play, including overall fluid intake.

Sea salt water can also add back in minerals and sodium. This, too, as with everything is very individual.

Do you have a doc you trust who you see regularly? My naturopath doc has been invaluable in seeing my overall mental/physical health plus in seeing imbalances in my life and in my body that I was blind to.

1 1/2 gallons of pure water
vs coffee+water+alcohol doesn't seem extreme when drank through the day for an adult of normal/large size, yet that's so dependent on many, many factors.

Congrats on your sobriety, recovery & greatly improving health!
Old 08-13-2018, 01:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
Just a word of caution?

Drinking too much water can cause serious side effects and in extreme circumstances even death. No matter how much you sweat 12 pints is a lot of water to take in during a short period of time. Please google hyponatremia.

Best Regards

JT
I need to echo this.
12 pints is a huge water intake