Notices

2 months sober

Old 08-13-2018, 11:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 months sober

Hello,

I am just over two months sober from alcohol. I have tried to quit drinking many times but have always seemed to go back after some time has passed thinking that I can handle it. I started drinking in my early teens thinking that I was really cool at the time. Once I got out of high school I started drinking even more and was at the bars almost every night. I was hungover a lot at work but I never missed any shifts back then. At age 21 I rolled my first vehicle I owned drunk, miraculously survived and hurt no one else, paid my fines and the vehicle loan. But that didn't stop me. My alcoholism got worse and worse very quickly in my mid twenties, I missed work, showed up for work a couple times still drunk and made a really bad reputation for myself. I ignored friends and family who told me I was an alcoholic, thinking they were just being mean to me. I lost friends over the years, a few jobs and my self esteem. I have gone to AA in the past, but I didn't participate in group discussions. I slowly stopped going. Ive been to rehab a few years ago, but when I got home I drank again. Now that Im older I can understand the importance of staying sober and can fully accept that I am an alcoholic. I just need the help to stay sober, because after some time has gone by, its like I forget why I am doing this and the power of alcohol takes over my mind. I live in a small remote town so there is no AA, and I need to do this on line.

Thanks Guys
Old 08-13-2018, 11:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Congrats on two months sober! I hope our support can help you stay sober for good.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Two months is a great start. Welcome.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Two months of sobriety is great. And, you will always find lots of support here.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Merle !!!

I’m new in recovery too, I’m just over two months also.

I don’t go to AA either, but really am soaking up the threads of wisdom and love illustrated and shared here on SR.

I’m part of the May 2018 thread. There are so many threads to jump on board and become a part of . there’s the 24 hour thread where you can post every day committing to 24 hours at a time, there are word games, there is the sober bus, and there are gratitude threads . Too many to list here I hope to see you around !!

Personally I feel like two months is great Accomplishment
Old 08-13-2018, 02:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome
Old 08-13-2018, 02:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you join us, Merle.

You'll never regret taking action now. I knew in my 20's I couldn't drink socially like others - but that didn't stop me from ruining my life. I insisted I had the willpower to control myself - but I never did. Ended up drinking 24/7 in the end. You'll be saving yourself so much grief by staying sane & sober. Congrats on your 2 months.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA Member

Old 08-13-2018, 05:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Merle

I used to rationalise going back to drink too - 'maybe I've changed now', 'maybe one won't hurt', 'I feel so great now I probably over reacted'....

SR was great for me in helping me accept I had a problem and that I needed to face that reality on work on the problem.

Theres a lot of support here
Old 08-13-2018, 08:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Merle. 2 months is something to be proud of. Glad you’re here!
Old 08-13-2018, 08:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats! I do thinks it's important to continue to have a plan in place and some sort of daily practice whether it’s 12steps, meditation, coming to this forum or whatever to keep you focused on why you are here and help with bumps in the road.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great work on the 2 months! Check back as often as you need to. I did so as a habit every night for the first 6 months and was always glad I did. You've got this if you want it!
Old 08-14-2018, 04:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome and great going. Support is critical for me- I do AA as a dedicated program IRL. Others here use online meetings- I don't have a link to share but hopefully someone will chime in.

Stay with us!