Notices

Went to see what the fuss was about :)

Old 08-16-2018, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to see what the fuss was about :)

Dropped in on an AA meeting today.
There were 20 or so lovely people there.
All who talked complete sense in a way only an alcoholic would understand.
It was an experience much like here on SR but on a face to face format.
Very good and encouraging to see people with their new lives without booze.
One lady with 16 years under her belt was going through a rough patch but was gradually getting through it with the help of just talking to us.

It’s good talking to people who get the whole alcoholic thing. They genuinely want to listen as do I when an alcoholic talks to me about it.

I will probably go again
I’m curious to see how it my brain processes it.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah AA is great. SR and AA complement each other in perfect harmony in my experience.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Snowy,

I'm so glad to hear that you gave it a chance! I was very hesitant and skeptical at my first few meetings, as well as embarrassed as heck, but I was greeted with the same compassion and understanding every time I went. It's such a liberating revelation to see that others truly do understand and struggle in similar ways. The program really can work, and it relies 100% on relying on one another for support. Those who have it keep it by giving it away - and they got where they are by others who did the same. Have faith in it, and believe people when they tell you to call them

Good luck to you!
Old 08-16-2018, 12:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
not a greeter

It sounds like you had a very positive experience. That’s great! I hope you continue to enjoy meetings if you decide to keep going.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have no experience of AA but lm glad you liked it l wanted to say l love your username it sounds like a character from a Dean Koontz novel
Old 08-16-2018, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Helianthus View Post
I have no experience of AA but lm glad you liked it l wanted to say l love your username it sounds like a character from a Dean Koontz novel
Thanks, it’s just a made up name from my childhood my brother was ‘Patch Caseblo’ and my sister was ‘Olga Wildgoose’
Had some fun with those names
Old 08-16-2018, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VigilanceNow View Post
Hi Snowy,

I'm so glad to hear that you gave it a chance! I was very hesitant and skeptical at my first few meetings, as well as embarrassed as heck, but I was greeted with the same compassion and understanding every time I went. It's such a liberating revelation to see that others truly do understand and struggle in similar ways. The program really can work, and it relies 100% on relying on one another for support. Those who have it keep it by giving it away - and they got where they are by others who did the same. Have faith in it, and believe people when they tell you to call them

Good luck to you!
I got a phone number to use if I need.

Ian Brown uses that line ‘ keep what ya got ( by giving it all away)
Old 08-16-2018, 03:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't follow the AA program but I go to meetings because I still learn a lot and enjoy the company of some pretty awesome people.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Snowy good move attending AA meetings is certainly helping me just now.

Tonight I went to a steps meeting. I find Steps meetings good as people share what the step means to them and how they practice it. AA is much more than just stopping drinking it is about learning to be content and at peace with yourself.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Snowy, it sounds like you had the kind of first visit AA the program is really meant to provide for the newcomer! AA has saved my life and I a must glad to see another person give it a real chance. There are different kinds of meetings, so trying a few (like a step meeting, or in particular a Newcomers meeting) could also be helpful. And re,ember your brain doesn't need to try to "get it" all at once! It would be hard to, anyway, to say the least. Willingness and a d sure to stop drinking will get you on a fine start.

Keep us posted!
Old 08-16-2018, 04:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's great! From your post it seems you had the right attitude going in. No expectations, stay open, listen, grab on to those similarities. Yay.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad it was a positive experience for you. It's always good to have real life support.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That’s great you had a good first experience! There are so many amazing recovering alcoholics to learn from and be inspired by. Everyone is so self reflective and working toward self improvement as well as being helpful to others.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gerard52 View Post
Snowy good move attending AA meetings is certainly helping me just now.

Tonight I went to a steps meeting. I find Steps meetings good as people share what the step means to them and how they practice it. AA is much more than just stopping drinking it is about learning to be content and at peace with yourself.
I’ll try steps meetings then.
Sounds like I would gain something new and maybe even give something.

Thanks Gerard
Old 08-16-2018, 10:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Snowy, it sounds like you had the kind of first visit AA the program is really meant to provide for the newcomer! AA has saved my life and I a must glad to see another person give it a real chance. There are different kinds of meetings, so trying a few (like a step meeting, or in particular a Newcomers meeting) could also be helpful. And re,ember your brain doesn't need to try to "get it" all at once! It would be hard to, anyway, to say the least. Willingness and a d sure to stop drinking will get you on a fine start.

Keep us posted!
Thanks August, I’m trying it because although I manage on my own and with the help from you guys on SR. I think I might get through a little easier and maybe not over think some situations .
Hopefully I can clear my head space of rubbish and run more efficiently.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snowydelrico View Post
Thanks August, I’m trying it because although I manage on my own and with the help from you guys on SR. I think I might get through a little easier and maybe not over think some situations .
Hopefully I can clear my head space of rubbish and run more efficiently.
I think this is good insight on your part! Changing so much of my thinking is a big part of my program..just remember re the steps- you have to start at Step One. Taking time to do each step is critical. I found my skipping ahead in step mtgs and others where further of the 12 were discussed, but had to remember where I was in my work. I learned that step one Acceptance extended far beyond my alcoholism to the every part of my life.

Keep coming back! A suggestion you might hear of doing 90 mtgs in90 days, or even 30/30, is a good idea to give your brain a starting point for learning the program and making. Those thought and action changes.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Hi Snowy - so glad you enjoyed the AA meeting! I am so grateful to have found my home group on my very first try. I don’t have a sponsor nor do I “work the steps” in the traditional manner, but just being with other alcoholics has helped tremendously. I am also a lifelong humanist (“atheist”) but that incredible group of ppl helped to make sense of the religious aspect of the AA doctrine and feel so accepted and comfortable.

Enjoy!!