Notices

Encouragement for new people/ day oners

Old 08-10-2018, 02:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Encouragement for new people/ day oners

Hi. I’ve given up for three weeks almost. That’s not long, but for me it’s a miracle. Daily drinker, mostly to blackout, this is longest I haven’t drink since I was 15.

There is a long way to go and I’m taking advice and preparing myself daily. I really don’t want to ever go back. But this post isn’t about that...

For anyone new to giving up, or anyone on day one or two, I wanted to say how quickly things have got better for me. I feel like a completely new person. I’m eating (I used to not eat for days on end). I’m walking, I’m able to sleep, I’m not a horrible dad or husband all the time. I have my moments of course!

Everything has NOT got better. I’m moody, sometimes tired. Emotions are all over me. My situations I’ve created are still there. Bloody consequences.

But compared to just three weeks ago I feel like a new person. Energy, vigour, and more than anything else - HOPE.

I tried to quit repeatedly, and as I said am not the finished, long term article by any stretch. But if you are new to giving up, it really is worth it, not only for long term gains and sanity, but in my case in the very short term.

Why would I go back to drinking when I feel so much better? Because this drug has got a affect on me I can’t control. But I would be mad.

Hang in there, it is worth it in the very short term as well as the long term, in my limited experience.

Now I’m off to stay sober for 24 more hours
Old 08-10-2018, 02:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well said.

12 days here and I feel EXACTLY the same. It is so worth it.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm very proud of you! Keep it up Ben123. I've been sober for a few months now after a 10 year addiction, so I can confirm that it will only get better. Life will have it's up's and downs, but in the end the one saying NO to his or her addiction, is a powerful person indeed and you deserve props for everyday you're able to resist and take back control over your life
Old 08-10-2018, 03:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love post like this, it just gives people so much hope that it really does get better. I’m only on day 5 and can see small changes already like how much better my mood is.

I’m also trying again after numerous attempts and hopefully this is he time it will stick.
Hope you all have a great day and a happy sober weekend.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

good stuff! Glad you’re feeling better. It gets even better than this, I promise.

B
Old 08-10-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for posting this!
Old 08-10-2018, 09:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations Ben! So happy for you. It gets better and better. You are so right to focus on the positives. They multiply!
Old 08-10-2018, 09:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the great post, Ben. Keep it up!
Old 08-10-2018, 10:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you, Ben, for sharing your story and positivity you feel.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Well done Ben!

I'm approaching 4 months and I feel better than I have in fifty years! Excluding the aches and pains common for folks 67 years old. My mind is clearing up and I exercise four days at my gym and play golf the other three. No time to feel sorry and soak up my life with booze anymore. I love my new life!

Thanks for your positive post.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

way to be, Ben!

keep it up!

Old 08-10-2018, 02:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ben123 View Post

But compared to just three weeks ago I feel like a new person. Energy, vigour, and more than anything else - HOPE.
Yes ... hope. That's what was missing when I was drinking, and that's what returned when I quit. No matter how twisty the path becomes or how topsy-turvy life can be, sobriety brings HOPE you'll get through it.

Remember that beautiful song... I Can See Clearly Now the Rain Has Gone.

That was my sobriety song. Still is.

Thank you for this Ben.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thanks for the optimism Ben! I'm so happy you're at 3 wks. Those first days are rough, but things are going to get so much easier & better. A whole new life for you.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the update Buckley - you've got this

D
Old 08-10-2018, 05:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good work, ben. Keep it going.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations Ben, and thanks for the excellent, positive post. In sobriety everything continues to get better.
I thought I was an utterly hopeless case but at my darkest moment I found a spark of humanity and hope and it gave me courage to try. Thanks to a good plan and the wonderful support of SR I now have 32 joyful months of sobriety. Things are not perfect but they are very good and that is enough.
Wishing you all the best on your sober journey. You have so much to look forward to!
Old 08-11-2018, 11:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am almost 3 weeks sober. I too have noticed a world of difference. I feel so much better in many ways. I sleep more restfully, I have more time to get things done and this eases my stress. I can think clearly and more quickly. I am much more present in the lives of my family. I am more peaceful and hopeful and am kind of rediscovering myself. I am looking forward to the future. It’s scary to think that I could relapse after so much positivity, but that’s a part of alcoholism I have to deal with. Life isn’t perfect, but overall it’s good....sobriety is the same.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks to you, Ben, for posting that. It really is remarkable how much better one feels without booze once you get through the first couple of weeks of getting the booze out of your system. I'm on day 27, and as Matrac posted, I can definitely think more quickly and clearly. Feel generally more upbeat and calmer. And the guilty knowledge that you're not pickling your liver, hurting your heart, killing your stomach, etc. is a thing of the past. It's great to not drink.