Notices

A different type of addiction

Old 08-09-2018, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A different type of addiction

Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge in internet addiction? Serious question. I am wondering if I am flirting with it. I rarely watch TV, except for sports. I do not read newspapers or books anymore except online. My thirst for knowledge and truth keeps me on the internet in some capacity for hours per day. What's the threshold for addiction? At this point it does not interfere with my daily activities, but I'm worried I spend an unhealthy amount of time reading or listening.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just googled 'internet addiction test'. There are lots of them. I'm gonna try some.

EDIT: Not many with an instant result.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well I don't know if you're addicted to the internet or not. But an addiction it is for sure. Specifically social media. And the truth? That's relative on the internet. It is an unbelievably powerful medium by which we are manipulated in ways that are stunning. Amazon and Google know more about me than the NSA and, well, me. Thank goodness I don't use social media....I think the next 5 years will see huge changes in those apps. Or I sure hope so. Crazy stuff.

As for kids? Don't even get me started. Kids are plugging in now as early as 1.....and that's to social media type apps. There is no doubt my kid is addicted to snap chat and instagram. Can anyone say gateway drug? If what I think is true about addiction, that it creates neuropathways and high jacks the dopamine receptors, then kids are starting at a very very early age. All that's necessary now for my kid is to introduce her drug of choice.....the brain changes are already there. Ugh. I believe schools are going to start banning cell phones and nothing better could happen. If I had it to do all over, knowing what I know now, I would have held off on that cell phone far longer. Not because I'm worried about her 'getting into trouble' but because of the addictive side of it. Gaming is also incredibly addicting.

I know. Strong opinions. Me and my theories!

I would suggest getting a book. And reading it. The paper kind. There is a difference. You aren't popping around from one subject to another. It requires focus and calm....and quiet. Totally different IMO. If you simply can't, then that's your sign that you need to...again my o-pin-ion. And the screen? Very hard on the peepers. Another thing to consider.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think internet addiction is a very real thing.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know what the threshold for internet addiction is, but my feeling is that the addiction to social media is much more of an issue than reading books, newspapers online. You said it doesn't affect your daily life, so I would assume you are eating regular meals, exercising, and interacting with other people in real life. If you feel it's taking too much time in your life, maybe you could add another activity to your life that would take you away from the computer.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Well I don't know if you're addicted to the internet or not. But an addiction it is for sure. Specifically social media. And the truth? That's relative on the internet. It is an unbelievably powerful medium by which we are manipulated in ways that are stunning. Amazon and Google know more about me than the NSA and, well, me. Thank goodness I don't use social media....I think the next 5 years will see huge changes in those apps. Or I sure hope so. Crazy stuff.

As for kids? Don't even get me started. Kids are plugging in now as early as 1.....and that's to social media type apps. There is no doubt my kid is addicted to snap chat and instagram. Can anyone say gateway drug? If what I think is true about addiction, that it creates neuropathways and high jacks the dopamine receptors, then kids are starting at a very very early age. All that's necessary now for my kid is to introduce her drug of choice.....the brain changes are already there. Ugh. I believe schools are going to start banning cell phones and nothing better could happen. If I had it to do all over, knowing what I know now, I would have held off on that cell phone far longer. Not because I'm worried about her 'getting into trouble' but because of the addictive side of it. Gaming is also incredibly addicting.

I know. Strong opinions. Me and my theories!

I would suggest getting a book. And reading it. The paper kind. There is a difference. You aren't popping around from one subject to another. It requires focus and calm....and quiet. Totally different IMO. If you simply can't, then that's your sign that you need to...again my o-pin-ion. And the screen? Very hard on the peepers. Another thing to consider.
I've heard many people echo your sentiments, and I agree with them. I'm curious to see how this new generation who has never known life without the internet will turn out. Luckily I am kind of old school and don't do social media much. I do have a Facebook account and I log in once every two weeks? No snapchat, no Instagram, no twitter.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You should check out the book "The Willpower Instinct" by Kelly McGonigal

It's an amazing book and she even discusses our addictions to social media/internet.

Here is a test for you if you want to know if you are 'addicted'. Try and do one of two things:

1.) Make a goal NOT to go on the internet for a day or two. If you find you cannot meet that goal, then you are probably addicted.

if you NEED to go on for certain things, do this:

2.) Set a limit. Say, I will only spend 1 (maybe 2) hours on the internet today. Time yourself and keep track. If you can't keep to that goal you are probably addicted.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I believe I'm addicted to the internet. I woke up without electricity last week and was anxious as hell cause I couldn't use my computer. That's the first thing I do after taking the dogs out. Get my coffee and turn on the computer.

I reactivated my fb account last year after not using it for almost ten yrs. I joined twitter last year and read a lot of news there.

I don't have much of a social life so my online activity keeps me connected to other people, especially here.

I don't mind my overuse of the computer, it's better than drinking.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I believe I'm addicted to the internet. I woke up without electricity last week and was anxious as hell cause I couldn't use my computer. That's the first thing I do after taking the dogs out. Get my coffee and turn on the computer.

I reactivated my fb account last year after not using it for almost ten yrs. I joined twitter last year and read a lot of news there.

I don't have much of a social life so my online activity keeps me connected to other people, especially here.

I don't mind my overuse of the computer, it's better than drinking.
I feel the same way.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
under new management

So does having my heart jump into my throat on the rare occasions that I can't log into SR count? Kidding, not kidding.

I spend a ridiculous amount of time on the computer, for work and at home, before and after work!

I try to limit myself in the evenings. And I wouldn't stay home on the computer over making plans with family/friends/myself.

But, I too, wonder about the upcoming generation, never having known a life without cell phones and internet.

Last edited by 2ndhandrose; 08-09-2018 at 11:59 AM. Reason: edit to say my last sentence makes me sound so old, LOL!
Old 08-09-2018, 01:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sober style

I definitely spend too much time on the internet. But that'll have to wait til after I tackle this coffee problem!
Old 08-09-2018, 01:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

But, I too, wonder about the upcoming generation, never having known a life without cell phones and internet.
I wonder the same thing.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Omg Least I think you being online is so worth it! That is so hilarious.

As for OP and addiction v no I guess I’d just say I quit drinking (with the heavy support of this wonderful place) not because it interfered with daily life so much as I wanted to end the ceaseless preoccupation. I mean there were other issues but that’s a primary reason. I think of social media like a lot of things. If they preoccupy you and you wonder if they are holding you back from your best life maybe that means it’s time to back off.