Notices

Weekender Thread 09-13 August 2018

Old 08-12-2018, 10:23 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

I've come across Eastern Diamondback rattlers, here in suburbia NJ.
Copperheads also, especially now with a nightly deluge.
Mainly harmless garter snakes, ringnecks, redbellies, and browns.

Trach- are you there?
Love those river snappers.
They get quite large.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:25 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
So ha ha.....look at the strawberries I grew....they are all very weirdly-shaped and yes I left them on too long but they are not sweet....hmmm......beginner's cluelessness?

I had the same problem years ago. I was so disappointed, I grew them on my mum's balcony and they were my "project" kind of, I was still a teen. I talked to some people at the gardener's shop about it and turned out there are some sorts that just are tasteless. Nothing one can do about it. I bought another type a few years later and they were really sweet and nice!
Old 08-12-2018, 10:27 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Wow. What a great story! I loved it and I could just see it all happening the way you described it
Old 08-12-2018, 10:28 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Ok....so here is part 2.....I LOVE part 2.....
Old 08-12-2018, 10:29 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

I just love you bim.

You have a wonderful way of lightening the mood and reminding us that we CAN, no matter what is happening....

So here is my snake story.....our house in Phillip Island was being built by my dad pretty much on his own and we were living in it (summertime) without fully finished brick walls or insulation yet. We had deck chairs to sit on....my 8 year old sister and myself (4) were watching tv and my sister was complaining because she couldn't hear the show properly and wanted to turn it up, but my baby sister was sleeping so my mum said: no, just move closer. So my sister slid the metal legs of the deck chair an inch or two closer to the tv. And that's when we saw it....an almighty tiger snake on the gold rug about two feet away from us. My sister screamed, I jumped up backwards and my mum ran and grabbed the baby, chucked her in my sister's arms, told us to get out get out and me to run run run Suzanne and get Mr Tetley....neighbour two houses over who had a gun....this is Australia....so not many people do. But he was a country bloke and he had rifles. So I did...ran screaming across the grass "Mr Tetley, Mr Tetley, come quick" and he did....and when we got back to my house, my mum was standing there, in the middle of the lungeroom with dirt and sweat and soaked hair and a broom and a very very dead snake. She had literally bashed it to death. She looked at us and started shaking....and Bill Tetley took the broom out of her hand and hugged her. Told her how brave she was.

Tiger snakes are deadly. This one was over three foot ~ they measured it....my mum passed out after that.

The end.
Jeez, this aussie wildlife! We don't have many snakes here, way too cold, and none of them are deadly. Maybe I would be less fond of them too with that background.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:30 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

They look delicious.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:37 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Fast-forward 14 years and my sister is now 21 and engaged to this cute Israeli guy. He was at our house for dinner one night and we were all chatting, swapping stories, and someone told a brilliant one and Erez said: "Oh wow, that is almost as good as the time Cheryl killed the snake!"

We all looked at him and said: "huh?"

I looked at my sister who was now squirming in her chair and turning red and I collapsed into fits of laughter. (I was 17). "OMG, I said....you told Erez that you killed the snake...." More laughter by everyone at this stage. Then me: "Erez, how could you have believed that, she was 8." And my mum, with tears of laughter and indignation at this stage was glaring at my sister like she had committed a crime. God it was funny.

We made her confess. She was mortified. It is still hysterical....and every now and then someone in our family says: "sure Chez, just like you killed the snake.... "
Old 08-12-2018, 10:47 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Vman, provided that the lightning keeps at least a little bit of distance I’ll gladly trade my house for your tent tonight.

Nice post Mesaman!

Sao and lunar, I wouln’t be surprised at all if it was Alice Cooper who started the whole snake thing amongst the rockstars. I seem to recall that he sang about someone’s love for him being being like “venomous poison”!
Old 08-12-2018, 10:47 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Fast-forward 14 years and my sister is now 21 and engaged to this cute Israeli guy. He was at our house for dinner one night and we were all chatting, swapping stories, and someone told a brilliant one and Erez said: "Oh wow, that is almost as good as the time Cheryl killed the snake!"

We all looked at him and said: "huh?"

I looked at my sister who was now squirming in her chair and turning red and I collapsed into fits of laughter. (I was 17). "OMG, I said....you told Erez that you killed the snake...." More laughter by everyone at this stage. Then me: "Erez, how could you have believed that, she was 8." And my mum, with tears of laughter and indignation at this stage was glaring at my sister like she had committed a crime. God it was funny.

We made her confess. She was mortified. It is still hysterical....and every now and then someone in our family says: "sure Chez, just like you killed the snake.... "
Haha Suze that made me laugh! I love part 2!
Old 08-12-2018, 12:36 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Wow, Suze. Your mom was a frickin' rockstar!
Old 08-12-2018, 12:47 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

I almost got bit once.....I worked weekends at a kennel & was letting one of the dogs out. I felt something tapping the side of my shoe, looked down and saw a snake slithering away from me....I must've hit it with the door while opening it...a couple inches higher & it would've gotten my leg, but it gave me "warning" strikes instead like "HEY! Watch where you're going!"

I was like "Oh crap, sorry buddy!"
Old 08-12-2018, 12:53 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Purps, I think something must be wrong with me. My reaction to that was "Awww what a polite little cutie, it didn't bite!"
Old 08-12-2018, 01:08 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

LOL, right?!!? I was shaken up a little, then felt bad like it was my fault

At least it was outdoors.....Suze how scary that must've been for it to be in your house...and poisonous! No wonder you wanted to change the subject
Old 08-12-2018, 03:41 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

The weekend is almost over and I did not drink!! It was hard but worth it. My mind is so jumbled right now.

Thank you to everyone here. You made it possible to not feel so alone. Right now I am usually at the bar, but not today. So many hours of ups and downs. Five days down and they feel like weeks. I spent so much time in a blur or so stinking hungover all I could focus on was being sick.

I really want a different life. Everytime I start to feel tempted I keep remembering myself drunk and how many times I embarrassed myself and my family. I loath that person so why is it so hard to stay sober?

Thanks for listening.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:50 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

well done on five days Rae, that's brilliant

keep doing what you're doing & that different life you want can be yours
Old 08-12-2018, 03:52 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Congrats on making it through the weekend Rae!

I agree....It's quite a struggle but this site helps it suck a lot less!
Old 08-12-2018, 04:58 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Made to Sunday night sober this thread has been a huge help
Old 08-12-2018, 05:04 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

good for you mns! keep up the good work
Old 08-12-2018, 05:21 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Made it through the weekend! Thanks all!
Old 08-12-2018, 05:40 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

I now Suze does not like snakes...so I will not mention the children's python we had. Used to have a Bearded dragon too- used to take it shopping.

So how about RAT STORY?
Early in his career, my dad was a priest in a very small rural place, about 10 houses. A priest who had a /nervous breakdown' went to stay with my family (just b4 I was in the world) to settle his nerves in this quiet, nothing happens place.
In the same week- high ADRENALINE when my oldest bro, then about 4 was rushed to hospital near dead from a bee sting.

And now for the rat.

My dad and this nervy wrecked priest were sitting on the front porch one dusk..and a huge king-rat came to visit...rats were always a problem in the sh.t holes the priests had to live in. Apparently it just 'sat' there and looked at them. They both saw it. My dad grabbed a long handled shovel and turned it into rat jam...covering the unfortunate nerve wrecked priest in rat guts.

He left the next day.

Mesaman- it is not politically correct to say how jealous I am AND that I hate you for the awesome place you are in..desert landscapes - espesh at dawn/dusk here in Australia land are amazing..like in the Flinders Ranges.
So I will just say how lucky you are.
Pigeon speed technology can usually be fixed by blaming everything on it- and swearing at it LOT.