Notices

I want this to be the last day 1 I ever do...

Old 08-08-2018, 03:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want this to be the last day 1 I ever do...

So in the past year or so since I first came to SR, I am back again on day 1 for maybe the 5th or 6th time.

It's escalated and is getting out of control very quickly this time. I keep allowing myself 'one blowout' before I quit again, but I've had many of those 'last blowouts' and the next one erases how bad I feel about the last one, and thus continues the cycle with the bad feeling growing and growing.

I want this to be my last day 1. I want to quit, and I need to. The 14 months or so that I was sober for were amazing for me, and I miss the person I was then and the life I had.

I owe this to my family, to my son and to myself.

I hope you will welcome me back and help me do this
Old 08-08-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Best of luck, day 1 for me too.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
under new management

Welcome back, AwkwardKitty

Congratulations on your Last Day One!!!!!
Old 08-08-2018, 03:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

All the best to you, David.

Day 1 isn't too bad for me generally, as I don't drink daily so would normally have a day off anyway (although have been drinking consecutive days recently then having 1-2 days off, as I said it's escalated very quickly this time). But I know the next few days will be difficult, especially as I am on holiday from work so technically *can* drink without having to get up for work (although I do have a toddler to look after all day!). I need to make a plan for getting through the next week or so, because I know it is going to be difficult. I will post here every day, I hope you will too, I will look out for your posts and offer support where I can.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi there,

I just wrote this elsewhere - I found that with each day one it brought me a little bit closer to my final day one.

Good luck.

J
Old 08-08-2018, 03:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

I have come back for more day 1’s than I care to think about. Looking back, any stretch of sobriety I was able to achieve happened when I followed closely the advice given to me on here, especially the advice to post before drink. If I chose instead to listen to my AV, things inevitably go south.

We can do this.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Make it be your last day one.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome back, AwkwardKitty. I hope this is the beginning of a permanent recovery. Read around and post often--here's a couple good threads to join:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post6977733 (24 Hour Recovery Connections Part 402)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-one.html
Old 08-08-2018, 04:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you back AK - you too Davidbrown.

I think the key to different outcomes is doing different things to what we've tried before...any ideas AK or David?

D
Old 08-08-2018, 05:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back! Glad you made it
Old 08-08-2018, 06:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to see you back AwkwardKitty. It sounds like you're ready to make this work.

It's a great idea to make a plan that can help you get through the early days and then beyond.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad you haven't given up on a better life, AK.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome back!! You can do this, what helped you to stay sober for 14 months?
Old 08-09-2018, 12:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yRTbjCVjwsM

This seems appropriate.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Welcome back!! You can do this, what helped you to stay sober for 14 months?
Being pregnant and having a newborn, lol!

Although I had stopped some months before getting (not intentionally) pregnant as my mental health had deteriorated to the point I was unable to leave the house, and hangovers just exacerbated my health anxiety. However, I believe I probably was close to relapse then I became pregnant and didn't drink until my baby was 4 months old, and been back on the old slippery slope since then.

When I was sober, I had a sense of purpose, I had NO sick days from work at all, my mental health was consistent, I was healthier and happier.

I need to be able to remind myself that just because my baby is on the outside now, I still have the exact same responsibility to keep myself well. It can still do immense damage to both of us.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you to all of you.

I think one thing I am going to do is log on at around 5/6 each day because the craving can come on suddenly and then it's already talked me into not coming on here, so I will come on each day to pre-empt that.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AwkwardKitty View Post
Thank you to all of you.

I think one thing I am going to do is log on at around 5/6 each day because the craving can come on suddenly and then it's already talked me into not coming on here, so I will come on each day to pre-empt that.
Good morning AK,

That's sounds like a good plan, see you later!

J
Old 08-09-2018, 08:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome back! So, your abstinence for 14 months proves you can do this! You needed a good reason to be sober before and you did it, but you probably left the door open and said you could drink again once you'd had your child. You need a strong reason to do it now and to keep the door closed.
Wanting to be sober more than you want to drink is so important, otherwise one tends to relapse again. I am only just at the point where I want to be sober more than I want to drink. I've had to close that door on 'Oh I'll just drink on special occasions' etc.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AwkwardKitty View Post
All the best to you, David.

Day 1 isn't too bad for me generally, as I don't drink daily so would normally have a day off anyway (although have been drinking consecutive days recently then having 1-2 days off, as I said it's escalated very quickly this time). But I know the next few days will be difficult, especially as I am on holiday from work so technically *can* drink without having to get up for work (although I do have a toddler to look after all day!). I need to make a plan for getting through the next week or so, because I know it is going to be difficult. I will post here every day, I hope you will too, I will look out for your posts and offer support where I can.
Thanks Kitty,

I am also a binge drinker so am used to some days off. I have had sober periods of up to 6 months too. I tended to drink Friday Saturday and sunday when my family is around. I have been in extended period of being out of work and have no compulsion to drink during the week. I am not well into day 2 and feeling good. not just because I haven't drunk for 2 days but because this time I have made a commitment to change. the challenge will come when I go to places and events where people are drinking. thankfully they are few and far between. the hardest thing for me is boredom. I have found things to fill my day. I have started running again, I keep a daily journal, eat well, meditate. put my focus on things that are good for me. I have spent a lot of time on here too. reading other peoples stories and interacting with people who can relate to my addiction. people without one rarely understand what it is like, they think that it is a simple choice that we make but it isn't. stick with it, do some thing that will nourish your mind and body and enjoy the time with your kid.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well I said I would log on at 5ish every day and post how I am feeling, to beat the AV to it before it starts convincing me I should drink. I have had a few wobbles today, like seeing friends posting holiday pics with ciders and thinking how I would like to have just one with my meal (which I have never ever done EVER! Booze replaces meals - food gets in the way! - and have very rarely stopped at 1 or 2!) but for some reason my AV likes to trick me into pretending I can have a couple then stop. That's the reason for EVERY SINGLE relapse I have had.

Nerf, you are so right, I did the classic 'I've had so long away I can now control it' which we all know is just never going to happen. Old habits die hard and it's amazing how quickly you go from enjoying the odd drink to waking up after passing out, or going to the shop in the middle of the night with beer-running-out-panic or calling in sick cos you decided to have a little early evening drink the night before that turned into a binge session. I always think I succeeded for that time because I had no choice, but actually I did, plenty of people drink whilst pregnant, and it was completely my choice and strength that enabled me not to, so I need to keep reiterating that to myself - there was no magic thing that stopped me from drinking, I did it. I chose to put my baby first. And I still need to do that, even though he is 'outside' now, the effects will still be felt eventually, I think it's because they're not so immediate (i.e if I drink when pregnant it could literally harm him, whereas now it's much slower) then I can stop before it causes too much damage, but as the child of alcoholics I know I need to stop now.

David, you sound extremely determined and have a good plan in place! I agree keeping busy helps, I normally plan out my timetable for the week so I don't leave myself with any 'gaps' to fill. Also eating well is important - I avoid meals when I am in the beer mindset - and feeling nourished does reduce my craving for beer a bit. And I sooo need to get back into meditation, I did it daily when I was sober before and it really helped. I am going to get right back on that (it was so much easier without a toddler to run round after!).

I hope everyone else is doing okay today!