Notices

Lots of wine at the beach house

Old 08-08-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Less, how are you feeling now?
Old 08-08-2018, 07:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My last drink by the water was May 28 . I was on a private lake catching largemouth bass with my boyfriend. He was drinking whiskey and 7-Up, and I was drinking about 3/4 bottle of a 1.5 L bottle of wine. Then I drove home from his house drunk, and on the way thought I needed a little bit more so I went by the store and bought another 1.5 L bottle, where I drank another glass out of it . I think I vaguely remember sensing that people were staring at me walking a little crooked through the store and slurring my speech to the cashier .

oh no, that was not enough! I drove back to my boyfriends house and had two more glasses of wine. And then I couldn’t remember where I put my keys, and I was embarrassed that I could not find them but it did not stop me from driving drunk .

No, one glass of wine is just not enough for me. I need to drink until my heart, my liver,, and my brain aches, and my self-loathing burns my sweet soul.

LG, Thank you for realizing that just because everyone else is jumping off the cliff, we should not also follow.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Go walk down by the water and listen to the sounds of the ocean. There is something about that sound and smell that is a natural feel good. ❤️
Old 08-08-2018, 08:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 100-plus days, and go, you, for not yielding to that AV sucker demon. I'm behind you, not even a month yet, and your post will be an inspiration to me when my "vacation" AV decides to make an appearance.
I know what you mean about the romantic pipe dream lure of a cold glass of white wine. How lovely on a summer's day. ERRRR. Let's stop the record. First glass, lovely. Second glass, fun, third, glass, hilarity, fourth glass, irritation and crankiness and the bottle is empty and I feel ashamed of myself. Have to play the film all the way through.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PalmerSage View Post
Less, how are you feeling now?
Sober as can be, that's certain. Thank you for asking!

One thing I've poured energy into over the past length of time, even going back into my last and final drinking stage, is my physical fitness. I'm in the best shape I've been in (41yo) since I was, who knows??, maybe high school? I've committed to a pretty hardcore but satisfying intermittent fasting program along with a progressive and serious weight lifting plan. Seeing and feeling results with that aspect of my life allows me to brush off the demons with even more confidence. I'm not getting up at 5:45 in the morning to workout if I have wine the night before. It's a bit of mental trick with my self, but I find it works when I am dealing with the woe-is-me demon suggestions.

Rain the forecast! Oh well. Here's to abs at 40.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
I've committed to a pretty hardcore but satisfying intermittent fasting program along with a progressive and serious weight lifting plan.0.
Glad you're doing ok.

I've been intermitting fasting for over a year now and feel much better for it. I really need to start getting more exercise though!
Old 08-09-2018, 09:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

What type of fasting are you doing,Less? I want to start something new. I've just been low carbing it for the past 3wks or so,but I'm bored already. I get bor-----look a butterfly---ed easily.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:45 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

That's great LG. The forties are actually great years physically. Gets a bit rough for women mid to late but by early fifties its all good again. The stronger you are in your 40's the easier it will be in your 50's when those primary sex hormones decide they are done with you. Muscle mass gets, ehem, challenging. Not impossible tho!

I think I intermittent fast. I usually only eat between 4-8pm. I do put half and half in my coffee tho...so guess its not fasting. Oh well. I think the idea that we need to eat every few hours is insane. I think on a biological level we are designed to go periods of time without food....the whole hunter/gatherer thing.

I guess its whatever works for each individual. If I ate every few hours I'd weigh 150 lbs.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
What type of fasting are you doing,Less? I want to start something new. I've just been low carbing it for the past 3wks or so,but I'm bored already. I get bor-----look a butterfly---ed easily.
I have been doing intermittent fasting regularly now for a good couple months. Started at 16:8 (which is how most of us eat anyhow), and am now down to a 21:3 plan. I really find it to be not only effective in shedding unwanted pounds but mental clarity, focus and energy have improved as well. No medical advice here! But I love it. The discipline angle is something I like as well - dovetails nicely with how I think about not drinking etc.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I have been doing intermittent fasting regularly now for a good couple months. Started at 16:8 (which is how most of us eat anyhow), and am now down to a 21:3 plan. I really find it to be not only effective in shedding unwanted pounds but mental clarity, focus and energy have improved as well. No medical advice here! But I love it. The discipline angle is something I like as well - dovetails nicely with how I think about not drinking etc.
yeah.. I don't normally 'live to eat'..just 'eat to live' but, the past 3mo or so(before I started low carb), I've been eating whatever's quick and easy and it snuck up on me! I'm by no means overweight...just wanting to get 'tone' again.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:38 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Great shares less. Learning to enjoy stuff like vacations sober is a transition for sure. I just turned 42 and am coming back from a back injury- I too had gotten into some of the best shape of my life since I quit drinking two and a half years ago . Four months since I got hurt and I know I have a strong foundation to rebuild from (unlike where I was when I quit drinking!. Only possible bc I got sober!

Enjoy the rest of your trip and keep us posted!
Old 08-09-2018, 01:09 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Spending some time at a beautiful beach home with family who enjoy wine, sometimes a lot of it. I feel great sober. Life is changing, and has changed, for the better in every way possible since I finally quit drinking. I'm in the low 100s, need to check my sober counter on my phone but it's going to be 4 months sober in a few days - most in my life after some horrid drinking spells in the past year, and decades of giving in to the addiction.

But the little, devious, persistent, irrational, unreasonable, cruel, lying demons reappear still. They whisper just how sweet it would be to have a big, cold glass of that expensive Chardonnay everyone else is enjoying.

I "know" better - but it doesn't matter. They still whisper. In the face of the demons I play the movie out. I dwell on the depth of pain and misery I was in only a few months ago - the vomit, the deceit, the shame. But the demons still flit about. I brush them away.

In the end, regardless of the false romance the demons want me to imagine was my drinking life, I'm not drinking no matter what. In the end it's still the same - no one is coming to save me.
I discovered that key lime La Croix fizzy water mixed 50/50 with lemonade is a fantastic drink at the beach house.... plus I can drink as much of it as I want and it won't land me in jail.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:59 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Ugh lots and lots of rain in the forecast. Nothing like a house full of drinkers unable to even get out and enjoy the beach.

No threat on the horizon however. Sober is as sober does.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:16 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Ugh lots and lots of rain in the forecast. Nothing like a house full of drinkers unable to even get out and enjoy the beach.

No threat on the horizon however. Sober is as sober does.
I've had some very enjoyable times on a rainy beach.... something about the beach in the rain, nobody else about.... just you and the sea and the solitude....

On a rainy beach you can dance freely...

On a rainy beach you can hear Spirit sing in the waves...

On a rainy beach you can celebrate life in a way that few ever do....

Nobody goes to the beach in the rain.

Which is exactly why it's so glorious to go to the beach in the rain.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:36 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Great job LG. And wine? It actually isn't all 'that' good! They say that most people, when blind folded, have a pretty hard time distinguishing really good wine from pretty average stuff. Mindfulman, not included in this of course!

When I think of wine I think of my last drunk: Box wine (Black box to be specific) purchased from supermarket at 6am. So sick I could barely keep any down but forcing it down because I was so sick I needed it. Throwing it right back up, everywhere. OH GAWD. Guess it was good I hadn't eaten in a few days. Awwww good times!
LOL. You know me so well. My take is that a Chardonnay ain’t worth it. I might have a tougher time turning away from a Grand Cru white burgundy or an unwoooded Western Australian Margare River chard...also chards. But good chards.

TBPH I don’t miss wine all that much.

But it’s all ********. I went through thousands of dollars of wine on my last hurrah, and threw up most of a $200 bottle of red from Napa (overrated in both directions btw).

Glad you’re doing well LG, your journey has been such an inspiration. Beach house in the rain would be tough with a bunch of wine snobs. Go diving, rafting and zip lining in Costa Rica next time!
Old 08-11-2018, 06:49 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
LOL. You know me so well. My take is that a Chardonnay ain’t worth it. I might have a tougher time turning away from a Grand Cru white burgundy or an unwoooded Western Australian Margare River chard...also chards. But good chards.

TBPH I don’t miss wine all that much.

But it’s all ********. I went through thousands of dollars of wine on my last hurrah, and threw up most of a $200 bottle of red from Napa (overrated in both directions btw).

Glad you’re doing well LG, your journey has been such an inspiration. Beach house in the rain would be tough with a bunch of wine snobs. Go diving, rafting and zip lining in Costa Rica next time!
That means a lot coming from you MM. I find great wisdom and inspiration in your posts. Thank you.

Staying strong here. The truth is that I know in my bones I am not going to drink. Doesn't mean that I don't feel the emotions of frustration, envy, wistful wanting for a life I really never had with booze.

But sober I will be today and all the days I might be lucky enough to have. No one is coming to to save me.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Maybe the rain was better! It's a gorgeous day and we are at the pool and the drinks are FLOWING.

Oh well. I'm not drinking.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Maybe the rain was better! It's a gorgeous day and we are at the pool and the drinks are FLOWING.

Oh well. I'm not drinking.
Toss a football in the pool with your son.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:05 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Toss a football in the pool with your son.
Adults only, though my newborn, is with. What it is.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:19 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Adults only, though my newborn, is with. What it is.
Oh.. When I'm stuck around drinkers I like to watch their progression for a while. Helps to remind me why I no longer drink. Maybe take a walk if it gets too mundane. I've done that before in MX, when my exAgf and her family just wanted to lay around the pool drinking or they'd take a nap after drinking at the pool. I just went sight seeing on my own. I was also drinking at the time,but not to their extreme.