Notices

Need advice on battling cravings

Old 08-07-2018, 05:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need advice on battling cravings

I am fine all day but around 4-5 it's like someone else takes over my body! I lose my desire to quit, etc. can someone offer advice on how to beat this? I heard they generally last 20 minutes. I need to figure this out to be able to quit. Thanks in advance
Lila
Old 08-07-2018, 05:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some great ideas here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

D
Old 08-07-2018, 06:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I find it comes where im thirsty. chug a glass of water? or a sugary drink, part of the craving may be sugar related.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In order to stay sober I had to - - - stay sober.

Regardless of the time of day/mental habit/obsessive desire/emotions/events.

There was no reason whatsoever for me to ever put alcohol in my own mouth.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lila, my worst time was 7-8pm and I started going out for long walks. Following is a link with lots of good tips on dealing with cravings:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 08-07-2018, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I had that feeling I found a hobby. I painted, I took a walk, I watched TV, I read a book anything to get my mind off it. The first 3 months were the worst for me, and I never want to be there again so I stay sober, that is so much easier than trying to quit again.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

HALT Hungry Angry Lonely Tired. These are all common triggers, and it's worth planning to avoid them as much as possible.

I also use to have a cheap little MP3 player with some recovery speakers on that I could listen to in the lead up to the times that were most tricky for me.

Also, if you are planning on attending AA or similar, that could be a good time to check in with someone from the fellowship.

Do you have a list of ways that alcohol has affected your life (relationships, self-respect, reputation, health, finances, career, putting self or others in danger, breaking the law, etc.)? If so, it is wise to have this on you so you can read it through and see in black and white why drinking is not really the cure-all that we tend to think it is mid-craving. If you haven't worked on a list like that yet then it's worth doing so you can refer to it.

BB
Old 08-07-2018, 10:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I struggle with cravings too, and unfortunately they are very often triggered by unavoidable daily tasks (since I drank when doing commonplace things like cooking, cleaning, etc). The way you deal with them has to be realistic for your routine and lifestyle, or any strategy won't work.

The above idea about a list is a good tactic for anyone. I keep a running list in a small notebook on me at all times. When I feel the urge to stop and buy something or stop at a bar for "just one", I force myself to take out the notebook and read through the negative impact alcohol has had. THis list has to be 100% honest and raw. Then I add something to the list, with the date and time. This is a good way to never forget the evil that this poison is, and also a useful tracker to trace what times of day are most difficult for you.

When they are really bad, I call someone I trust and admit to having the urge to drink. This is a great way to stay accountable and feel the support others can offer. Sometimes it takes a village!
Old 08-07-2018, 11:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Food -eat until you are full. That is a game changer for me. Ice cream too. Sweet stuff. I've been looking for healthier options and fruit is great. xx
Old 08-07-2018, 11:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't get cravings, I am just not motivated to drink just now. So far I can stop any notions to drink, by simply thinking about something else.

I keep the adverse health issues associated with drinking to the forefront of my mind, I think I am building a subconscious aversion to alcohol. Deep down I must feel the costs of drink exceed the benefits.

Then it is learning to live comfortably in sobriety. That will take time and every new AF experience will add that as a way of living.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would eat. I would always have some food ready to be warmed up. The 4-5 days mark is a hurdle for many, myself for sure. Long enough to forget the pain of last time, feel great because you've been "good". Then boom, its no different. same stuff, feel crappy and then heal. Start over.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Eat something filling, it always makes the craving go away. If you can't eat anything, go for a walk, put a movie on, music, lay down in bed and shut your eyes.

Do whatever it takes, but don't drink.