Notices

Step 7

Old 08-07-2018, 01:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Step 7

Hi guys, just looking for some advice .....Humbly ask him to remove our shortcomings - I'm a year sober, gone through the programme and I still struggle with my ego and getting out of self (I'm a lot better than I used to be) but was there anything that helped you get out of self? I pray.....I try and practice it but I still have this awareness of it.

I'm so grateful to be where I am today and my life has literally turned around since I got sober which I never thought possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Peace.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Peaceinsilence, well done that is a great achievement. A year working the programme it would be great to know more about your journey, I am sure I would learn something.

I have recently started back at AA and find meetings incredibly helpful. I look forward to them they are peaceful place where I can listen and reflect on my condition and focus on how to recover.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me instead of saying why are you like this (meaning someone else), why are you driving so slow, why are you acting like that, etc... I reverse it and ask myself what I am doing wrong here, why am I so special that people have to drive as I see fit, or act a certain way. Usually helps to correct myself and my actions VS trying to correct someone else's.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamCatcher17 View Post
For me instead of saying why are you like this (meaning someone else), why are you driving so slow, why are you acting like that, etc... I reverse it and ask myself what I am doing wrong here, why am I so special that people have to drive as I see fit, or act a certain way. Usually helps to correct myself and my actions VS trying to correct someone else's.

This is brilliant!!!! Wonderful advice!
Old 08-07-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

congratulations on a year. That’s awesome!

I find the best way to get out of self is by helping others.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflower79 View Post
congratulations on a year. That’s awesome!

I find the best way to get out of self is by helping others.
Yes!!!! This too
Old 08-08-2018, 12:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you guys.

Peace
Old 08-08-2018, 01:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gerard52 View Post
Peaceinsilence, well done that is a great achievement. A year working the programme it would be great to know more about your journey, I am sure I would learn something.

I have recently started back at AA and find meetings incredibly helpful. I look forward to them they are peaceful place where I can listen and reflect on my condition and focus on how to recover.
Gerard52 - thank you. I owe everything this past year to AA. Its given me my life back. Getting a sponsor, going through the programme, joining a group, meetings, sharing.....it all been there as suggested, grab it with both hands and don't look back! Keep moving forward and find the peace within yourself.

Wishing you much luck and happiness.

Peace
Old 08-08-2018, 01:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamCatcher17 View Post
Thank you Dreamcatcher - I do try and practice this but I think I need to try harder!

Peace
Old 08-08-2018, 01:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can be quite intolerant and impatient with strangers. I am practising being nice to people and make my encounters pleasant. It works I feel myself slowing down and not feeling irritated, I am also not self hating about why I was horrible.