Notices

Diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy.

Turns out I have damaged the nerves in my hands and feet and they aren't getting the signals from my brain. Therefore trouble walking. It's cause is 15 years of diabetes plus alcohol is the cause. It can't be cured. So at least I don't have brain damage. I need to take care with where I walk to avoid the risk of a fall. And of course not drink.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi sweetichick

I'm glad it's nor brain damage.

I have a lot of neuropathy myself - even before I started drinking - it needn't stop you from doing things you want to do- its as you say you just have to take care - and look after yourself

D
Old 08-06-2018, 02:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you have a diagnosis. At least now you can know for certain how to look after yourself.

BB
Old 08-06-2018, 03:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's amazing that you have the same thing Dee. It's great motivation to stop drinking for good. Did yours get worse over time?
Old 08-06-2018, 04:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I got severe tingling in my hands after my drinking progressed. That scared me. One of many reasons my primary goal is being sober.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have cerebral palsy sweetichick so it's been with me as long as I can remember.

It is worse now - whether thats from age, wear and tear or drinking, it's difficult to say but alcoholism surely didn't help.

D
Old 08-06-2018, 05:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for being so honest with me.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got your diagnosis, Sweetichick and I hope that you can now focus on recovery and staying as healthy as possible.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know its not great news Sweetichick, but it is so good that there is no brain damage. Stay with us in the the August group.....you have every reason now to be hopeful for the future and get rid of alcohol for good.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

now that ya know what the problem is THERE, you can get into solutions for it.
from the NIH
The first step in treating peripheral neuropathy is to address any contributing causes such as infection, toxin exposure , medication-related toxicity, vitamin deficiencies, hormonal deficiencies, autoimmune disorders, or compression that can lead to neuropathy. Peripheral nerves have the ability to regenerate axons, as long as the nerve cell itself has not died, which may lead to functional recovery over time. Correcting an underlying condition often can result in the neuropathy resolving on its own as the nerves recover or regenerate.

there is a solution for everything- a solution that does not involve drinking.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I was also diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy in my legs. A parting gift from alcohol, I could barely walk by the time I got to rehab.

I did physical therapy to help with my balance and started a regimen of hiking. I started on flat ground, increased the distance, and gradually worked up to steep trails on uneven ground. After a few months it was pretty much unnoticeable.

I used to hike quite a bit so it was getting back to my routine, I've gone for bush walks all over Australia. You're in a beautiful place for it.

Plus getting out in the fresh air when you're sober is a gift from the universe!
Old 08-06-2018, 09:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am glad you have a diagnosis and hopefully a plan for treatment.

15 years ago both dh and my own parents were on the path to diabetes. My parents completely changed how they ate, exercised etc. They have never needed insulin. Dh's parents changed nothing, today we have lost one of dh's parents through an accident that recovery could have been possible. Dh's mom has a heart problem among other issues. Dh's family doesn't have weight issues, my family, well we are half Viking half Amazon lol At least that is our appearance. One parent in each family is having surgery, one is elective, one is necessary. The necessary surgery can not be done because the parent can't get their health issues under control. My parent is currently on a six month vacation until their surgery can be done. The point is, it is not too late to turn things around for you. You can do a lot with diet. As an aside neither of pur parents drink. That is why it is far worse for alcoholics. You have been given a chance in this diagnosis to make a positive and productive change in your life.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy while in rehab in 1982. I was 28 years old and had difficulty walking, balance problems, numbness and tingling in my legs and feet. It was the direct result of alcoholism. I took everyday vitamins at rehab and for a few months afterward. I stopped drinking for good August 15, 1982. The neuropathy went away although I felt a weird sensation like I had stockings on my feet when they were bare.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarklingSong View Post
I know its not great news Sweetichick, but it is so good that there is no brain damage. Stay with us in the the August group.....you have every reason now to be hopeful for the future and get rid of alcohol for good.
Thanks Darkling and Anna
Old 08-06-2018, 12:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
now that ya know what the problem is THERE, you can get into solutions for it.
from the NIH
The first step in treating peripheral neuropathy is to address any contributing causes such as infection, toxin exposure , medication-related toxicity, vitamin deficiencies, hormonal deficiencies, autoimmune disorders, or compression that can lead to neuropathy. Peripheral nerves have the ability to regenerate axons, as long as the nerve cell itself has not died, which may lead to functional recovery over time. Correcting an underlying condition often can result in the neuropathy resolving on its own as the nerves recover or regenerate.

there is a solution for everything- a solution that does not involve drinking.
Thanks for doing that research. Definitely a solution that doesn't involve drinking.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
I was also diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy in my legs. A parting gift from alcohol, I could barely walk by the time I got to rehab.

I did physical therapy to help with my balance and started a regimen of hiking. I started on flat ground, increased the distance, and gradually worked up to steep trails on uneven ground. After a few months it was pretty much unnoticeable.

I used to hike quite a bit so it was getting back to my routine, I've gone for bush walks all over Australia. You're in a beautiful place for it.

Plus getting out in the fresh air when you're sober is a gift from the universe!
Thanks Mindful. That gives me some hope. I am being referred for PT as well for balance. Love the Aussie compliment.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyLittleHorsie View Post
I am glad you have a diagnosis and hopefully a plan for treatment.

15 years ago both dh and my own parents were on the path to diabetes. My parents completely changed how they ate, exercised etc. They have never needed insulin. Dh's parents changed nothing, today we have lost one of dh's parents through an accident that recovery could have been possible. Dh's mom has a heart problem among other issues. Dh's family doesn't have weight issues, my family, well we are half Viking half Amazon lol At least that is our appearance. One parent in each family is having surgery, one is elective, one is necessary. The necessary surgery can not be done because the parent can't get their health issues under control. My parent is currently on a six month vacation until their surgery can be done. The point is, it is not too late to turn things around for you. You can do a lot with diet. As an aside neither of pur parents drink. That is why it is far worse for alcoholics. You have been given a chance in this diagnosis to make a positive and productive change in your life.
Thanks for telling me that. I was thinking that losing weight will make a difference and help with the diabetes. Today is payday so time to figure it all out .
Old 08-06-2018, 12:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soupcon View Post
I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy while in rehab in 1982. I was 28 years old and had difficulty walking, balance problems, numbness and tingling in my legs and feet. It was the direct result of alcoholism. I took everyday vitamins at rehab and for a few months afterward. I stopped drinking for good August 15, 1982. The neuropathy went away although I felt a weird sensation like I had stockings on my feet when they were bare.
That's encouraging. Stocking glove is actually another name for it . Glad you recovered same as Mindful.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I hope you can just give up the booze sweet. I really do. You won't regret it, I promise.

Best-

B
Old 08-06-2018, 06:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I too had peripheral neuropathy and severe tingling and numbness in my hands and feet as a result of alcohol. This was really one of the turning points for me in getting sober. It took three months or so before I stopped feeling these symptoms, so I guess you could say mine was reversible. I started a very healthy diet and lifestyle with low carb, mainly protein and veggies, tons of water, exercise and supplements. I worked with a naturopath. Oh yeah, I am the supplement queen! I feel so much better both mentally and physically now. I hope the same for you! The main thing is to just stay away from alcohol altogether. Not one drop!