Notices

Sweet Tooth

Old 08-05-2018, 04:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sweet Tooth

I always had a terrible sweet tooth but only when presented with sweets or chocolate. I have learned just not to buy anything with sugar in it and I don't miss it.

Where I am from the AA meetings invariably have plates of biscuits on the table. I am terrible I just can't resist and it is difficult not to eat one after another.

I wonder if this compulsion to eat sweets and biscuits when they are put in front of me is the same as alcohol.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gerard52 View Post
I always had a terrible sweet tooth but only when presented with sweets or chocolate. I have learned just not to buy anything with sugar in it and I don't miss it.

Where I am from the AA meetings invariably have plates of biscuits on the table. I am terrible I just can't resist and it is difficult not to eat one after another.

I wonder if this compulsion to eat sweets and biscuits when they are put in front of me is the same as alcohol.
It's very common I say don't worry about it. I binge on chocolate while sober. It's much better than drinking alcohol. It's suggested in another thread that you roll with it and enjoy the sweet things. Eventually the desire for sweet things will subside.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Is it our minds telling our bodies that we require sweet foods or is it our stomach telling our mind?
This is something we rarely scratch the surface of for an answer.
Is an alcoholics stomach biology out of whack in favour of sugar craving bacteria?

What ever keeps you away from alcohol at the beginning but then later on I think that moderation is important to allow for everything to settle down to a natural balance.

I
Old 08-05-2018, 05:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

While a craving for sweets is better than getting drunk on alcohol, excess sugar is another possible addiction. In the long run both need to go for best health.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
CCL
Crazy Cat Lady

Sugar triggers the same pleasure centers in our brains as alcohol, cocaine, etc. And you can get addicted to it, even go through a form of withdrawal. Carbs in general do it to some people, too.