Notices

Reasons you are committed to staying sober?

Old 08-05-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

I gotta life, S-load of money in my pocket, and sometimes(like now) I'm happy.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I want to be healthy for several reasons, particularly for my grandchildren to know me. I didn't grow up with any grandparents in my life. In order to stay healthy, I needed to stop drinking.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was pretty sure that I was actually slowly killing myself. My stomach and intestines were all messed up, my body's thermostat was constantly hot and sweaty, and my BP was through the roof. A few years ago I decided I'd rather live than die. It was iffy for awhile.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

After 21 days of sobriety (a first for me in I don't know how long), it occurred to me that the picture that the alcohol /entertainment industry presents of alcohol consumption is fun, glamorous, sophisticated, joyful family times around the table with giant plates of pasta and good red wine, sexy dates with vodka martinis, wonderful British mysteries with everyone quaffing a 'whiskey' or a brandy every 15 minutes. Now, everyone here on SR can speak to the reality: hangovers, guilt, shame, hiding bottles, lying about consumption, family arguments, health issues, throwing up - that's glam, right? And the idea of sobriety seems, when one is drinking, to be that of an Amish winter: Gray, bleak, humorless, somber, dreary, boring, etc. Now, the reality of sobriety, I have discovered, is more energy, clearer thinking, introspection, enjoyment of a moment of hearing birdsong, feeling happy about being good to my body instead of pickling it, humming (I had not experienced it in so long I wondered what I was doing at first) , experiencing sunrises, sleeping like a child, a willingness to take a tiny step outside my comfort-zone box to a new experience, clearer skin, no burying of bottles deep in a trash bag to escape husband's attention, no guilt, a deeper relationship with my HP, being more authentic ( pretending one isn't hungover is taxing), and generally feeling like I'm handling life like a boss. That's my reason for continued sobriety. There's more life in my life. If you're just starting out on Day 1 or 2, hang in there. It gets better!
Old 08-05-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

By not drinking I feel a lot healthier. Not just because I've started going for walks and have started going back to the gym but also because when I was drinking I would inevitably end up smoking and smoking very heavily. So my hangovers were doubly awful because I was withdrawing from two drugs, alcohol and nicotine. Strangely I don't get any urges to smoke when I'm not drinking (years ago I was a 20+ a day cigarette smoker whether I was drinking or not but after packing in drinking and smoking for several months in 1998 I ended up only smoking when I drank).

Also, as has been said, by not drinking I'm not wasting money on something that is not only destructive but also unhealthy. I once worked out that my three day+ binge drinking sessions were costing me at least £120 (US $156) a week when factoring in both alcohol and cigarettes - the latter are nearly £10 (US $13) in the UK now. It was leaving me in serious debt with bills going unpaid etc.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Beautifully Broken

Woke up sober to Day 5!

Slept much better. Probably from exhaustion of not sleeping and the emotional rollercoaster I’ve been on....had an emotional breakdown, felt like I had the flu and very irritable BUT...

my daughter told me last night as we were talking, she said thank you for being so understanding of her issues (she’s a teen) I said have I not been? She said... well usually you just tell me what to do instead of listening...
WOW that hit me hard bc most of the time I was rushing and hurrying so I could get back to drinking �� (I hide it from her) instead of truly hearing her problems.
I thought I was drinking to deal with stress and really I was just creating more in my world.
I want to be there for my daughter. REALLY BE there, not just body, but emotionally and spiritually.
So I’m happy to wake up sober to face another day totally present.
I feel better each day.
Stay strong!
Keep posting YOUR reasons, as we can all learn from each other.
Thank you for SR!
Old 08-06-2018, 06:14 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Beautifully Broken

And thank you for all the responses!
I pray each of us can continue to fight to be our authentic selves as Dee said!
Feelings can’t kill us but alcohol surely can & will either emotionally, spiritually, financially, relationally or worst physically.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jam13 View Post
my daughter told me last night as we were talking, she said thank you for being so understanding of her issues (she’s a teen) I said have I not been? She said... well usually you just tell me what to do instead of listening...
WOW that hit me hard :
That, right there, is a great reason!
Old 08-06-2018, 07:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

My reasons:

1) My art and my career. I'm currently not employed, as I am trying to steer my art career in the direction I'd originally intended and away from the industry I've been working in for a decade (creating art and animation for gambling products. I'm sick of it!). I create some really fun art for my portfolio when sober (the freaky monster in my avatar/profile picture for example) and I constantly learn new things. When I drink, I spend days hungover or drinking and cannot create.

2) My health. If I don't drink, I attend the gym more. I also ONLY smoke when drinking. By quitting drinking, I'm losing two bad habits.

3) My husband. Even though he didn't see my drinking as a problem, I did and I hate letting him down. When I drink on weekends we end up ordering delivery food as I can't physically cook in that state. I hate not being able to do things for him as he works EXTREMELY hard.

4) As others have said, I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired!
Old 08-06-2018, 08:28 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NerfThis View Post
My reasons:

4) As others have said, I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired!
For me this is the biggest. Tired of fighting with the demons in my head and losing. The fight rages on, but at least now I'm winning.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:43 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Being more present in every moment of every day is my biggest reward.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:32 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I was feeling like a ghost in my own life, not present other than existing in an empty shell. I looked awful, felt awful, and was just so OVER it.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:47 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PalmerSage View Post
I was feeling like a ghost in my own life, not present other than existing in an empty shell. I looked awful, felt awful, and was just so OVER it.
Ghost in your own life - yes me too. It's amazing thing to be able to reclaim your life. Lots of work for me to do, but better than not even being present.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:18 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

For my health, and to try find a healthy friendships.