Notices

Some lies probably.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some lies probably.

I was confused about the number of units in a litre bottle of vodka. I've got an idea it's less than other spirits. I've looked online and recieved varying numbers. If so many sources can't agree on the strength then why should we believe anything else they say about it. I'm not so sure about the units scale and how it links with damage from alcohol.

I don't trust much in what I'm told from authority anymore. For instance, HIV AIDS is rarely transmitted by vaginal intercourse despite the warnings. How many times does it change about how it's carbohydrates that stop you losing weight or a week later it's fat that's the culprit. Just an example - there's loads of this unreliable information that's taken as fact. There's so much nonsense being delivered that I'm reluctant to listen to "experts" all the time.

I'm not saying that you should be in the grip of an addiction. I'm just thinking that maybe everything they say about alcohol isn't so bad as they're going on about. Think of it from their point of view. After all, if saving money for healthcare by stopping the few people at risk means inconveniencing the vast majority, they're not going to care.
I know that with my medical conditions, doctors are always wanting to over proscribe medication. It gets you out of their surgery and if you were to develop any any side effects, it would probably no longer their problem - not doubt retired on their hefty pensions.

I know from my own experience about what they call addiction, so I'm not questioning it or anything. I'm just wondering if sometimes scare stories push people into a sort of lifestyle that they really don't belong in. Oh you're drinking so and so, which will kill you, when probably it wouldn't.
I'm not wanting to discourage anyone from stopping alcohol or drug use as I think it's bad, a terrible thing, a complete waste of your life.

It's just that I think if there was more honesty, less of an all encompassing denial then it might lead to more success with the people with the real problems.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by taplow View Post
I was confused about the number of units in a litre bottle of vodka. I've got an idea it's less than other spirits. I've looked online and recieved varying numbers. If so many sources can't agree on the strength then why should we believe anything else they say about it. I'm not so sure about the units scale and how it links with damage from alcohol.
For me the only number of units that is acceptable is 0. Based on the horrific relationship you have with alcohol, my guess is that the same number of units might be a good plan for you too.

Not sure that I see a question that we can help answer in your post - care to clarify?
Old 08-04-2018, 01:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry you're drinking again Taplow.

Addiction sucks. And a surefire way to solve the problem is to stop using substances of abuse....like alcohol.

Then go on about living your life. And stop worrying about what experts say or don't say! Hang in there.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Just for clarity, to work out the units in any bottle of alcohol or drink it is a pretty simple and universal formula. A bottle of vodka usually has around 40% ABV, if you times that by the ml in the bottle and divide by 1000 you get the units.

40 x 1000 / 1000 = 40 units in a litre bottle of vodka

Regardless of whether you trust what doctors are saying about what is safe to drink, if your life has become unmanageable, your health is suffering, you cannot go without alcohol for more than a few days or you use alcohol as a solution to your problems....then you don't need any experts really to tell you anything that is not as obvious as the nose on your face that it is not good for you xx
Old 08-04-2018, 02:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Try using enter button to make empty space between paragraphs?

The post is very difficult to read as a big blog block of text.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey ... i d agree with the former post ... zero units is the best score .... any over 4 is harmful but if you take 4 regularly it is harmful ... i might believe drinking one beer a day what is 2 units ... but regularly creates addiction as try to skip this one beer and you see ...if you can skip and not thinking and happy to skip its healthy otherwise no matter how many units ... there is a problem .... i hope you re ok ... x

Last edited by allishope73; 08-04-2018 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-04-2018, 03:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm just wondering if sometimes scare stories push people into a sort of lifestyle that they really don't belong in. Oh you're drinking so and so, which will kill you, when probably it wouldn't.
I've seen you post sober and you're like a different person Tap.

You're more motivated, happier, you create connections with the other posters here, there's a little hope in your posts....

You're not going to convince me that this is the lifestyle you belong in, sorry.

Alcohol isn't good or bad - its inert - but addiction kills.

Seen it here with my own eyes, B.

D
Old 08-04-2018, 03:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The only thing I know and I don't need an expert to tell me is that Alcohol will kill you eventually ...And while drinking it, your life is that of the living dead
!!!!
Old 08-04-2018, 03:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
Just for clarity, to work out the units in any bottle of alcohol or drink it is a pretty simple and universal formula. A bottle of vodka usually has around 40% ABV, if you times that by the ml in the bottle and divide by 1000 you get the units.
There's a lot of vodka which is around 37% ABV and some stronger than 40% too. This would account for some of difference in units.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by taplow View Post
I'm just thinking that maybe everything they say about alcohol isn't so bad as they're going on about.

Oh you're drinking so and so, which will kill you, when probably it wouldn't.
For the first part. Who are they and what do they say? It's an over-generalization. Which raises my 'looking for an excuse' alert.

Alcohol, more specifically ethanol or ethyl alcohol, abused on a regular basis, will kill you. It's that simple and there's plenty of supporting evidence.

The brand or flavor doesn't matter. It's all the same chemically at the root - the drug is ethyl alcohol. Potency is irrelevant. Your addiction is chasing a blood alcohol content that can never be satisfied. It doesn't care about the flavor or how much liquid it needs to consume.

You are negotiating with it. I hope you find a way to quit. Denial is powerful. I know when I was in denial the wreckage was all around me, yet I either didn't see the extent and/or I didn't have it in me to do anything about it. I'm glad that's behind me. I hope the same for you.

Best to you-

B
Old 08-04-2018, 03:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Forgive me if I am wrong but I get the sense you're trying to justify your problem? From experience alcohol made me paranoid about establishment, the system and other conspiracy theories.

Alcohol blurred the lines between reality, and philosophy and at one point I was irrational and illogical. Today I still enjoy delving into alternative views but it's more philosophical as opposed to blindly believing everything I read and seen.

I'm absolutely not saying you do this. I am speaking from how I was when I drank.

The Universe is amazing. When I quit I stopped caring about lies, corruption, scandals, propaganda etc and started looking deeper into myself spiritually. It's a beautiful journey. I believe the purpose of life is to find yourself and your place in this Universe.

Nobody - ever - will solve the world problems but if we all solve our own problems the world problems will solve themselves. The answer isn't in the bottle, or self poisoning.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, Taplow.. Besides what doctors,scientists,bottles of booze say; How do you feel about yourself and how you're living your life? What might YOU do to change that(if you're unhappy)? that's where my focus would be. I've never been much on "the man's" opinion. If I'm happy/healthy and those I care for are happy/heathly..what else is there to question or worry about?
Old 08-04-2018, 07:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

20 ounces of poison or 40 ounces of poison...what difference does it make? It's still bad sh!t that will kill you.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How do we go from questioning math to AIDS and alcohol being perpetrated by the ubiquitous “them?” There are a number of cognitive distortions in your post that really deserve to be unpacked with the help of a counselor because taken to the extreme they will lead you to the grave feeling smart that “they” couldn’t get you to quit.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to over analyze everything too. Then I simplified my life and stopped questioning everything. Some things I just accept.

All I know is that drinking is very bad for me and I'm glad I don't do it anymore.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by taplow
I'm just wondering if sometimes scare stories push people into a sort of lifestyle that they really don't belong in. Oh you're drinking so and so, which will kill you, when probably it wouldn't.
Who doesn't belong in a lifestyle free of any amount of alcohol? Is there an instance in which an abstinent lifestyle could be a negative? There are millions and millions of people around the world who don't drink alcohol for reasons that have absolutely zero to do with addiction. In terms of one's health, wealth, emotional and intellectual functioning, there is not one single downside to abstinence. It's the natural human state.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You can be alcoholic on one unit per day if that unit gets prioritized over everything else in your life.

~Bunnez
Old 08-05-2018, 08:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I thought as first you were joking. Alcohol addiction definitely kills they’re not making it up. My friend died of it, my sister nearly died of it. The doctors are not lying.
You deserve a better life than drinking in denial.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

you have a bunch of energy, tap. you are spending it on doing drinking, math, and drunk math.
what all would be possible to you if you put it into getting sober, being sober and living a sober life!
Old 08-05-2018, 09:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i hope some day soon you can read this sober and see how you are trying to rationalize drinking.

wondering if sometimes scare stories push people into a sort of lifestyle that they really don't belong in.

quite crazy to believe that right there.