SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Drinking (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/430847-drinking.html)

tonisherrell 08-03-2018 04:56 PM

Drinking

My interview went so well they contacted me as soon as I got home. They want to check my references. I managed to stay dry for 10 days to assure I perform well on this day. Im so happy, but now have this incredible urge to go out and celebrate and drink. Last night friends asked me out but I declined. I desparetly wanted to Ace this interview. Then tonight a friends called and asked if I want ro go have margaritas and dinner.. I realllll want to go so bad.

tekink 08-03-2018 05:09 PM

Don't go. You won't feel so good about it tomorrow.

If you are serious about being sober the only answer is to not go drinking.

EDIT: If they do like you there's a second interview incoming soon.

Dee74 08-03-2018 05:13 PM

I hope you decide to stay in Toni - you'll be thrilled with yourself tomorrow :)

D

Forward12 08-03-2018 05:13 PM

Stay home and watch a movie! Who would want to go out to drunk houses to ruin everything?

Caralara144 08-03-2018 05:15 PM

No no no
PLEASE don't go
Your doing so so well
Tomorrow you will wake up and regret everything
You got good news today
Don't let tomorrow be a bad one
Do anything but don't drink
Rooting for you
Cara

MrWolfie68 08-03-2018 05:23 PM

Toni,

I sure hope you stay home. I failed in that 1 to 1-1/2 week time frame several times. I am so happy I finally pushed through and am now past 2 months. You will be too.

tonisherrell 08-03-2018 05:26 PM

I know I shouldnt go but Im so bored and want to go out an have some fun. I know I shouldnt and know its a bad idea. I want to so bad to grab a pack of smokes and tell my friend to meet me at the bar and party till 2 am. I havent been to a bar in a year. I am a at home alone drinker. Something in my mind is telling me its okay to go to a bar and drink. I deserve it. I know its my AV but the $% </% wont shut up lol

whopper 08-03-2018 05:31 PM

:no:

DontRemember 08-03-2018 05:34 PM

when's the last time you drank?

least 08-03-2018 05:40 PM

Drinking is a terrible idea and you know it. :( I hope you don't give in.

doggonecarl 08-03-2018 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by tonisherrell (Post 6973661)
Something in my mind is telling me its okay to go to a bar and drink. I deserve it.

You've struggled a long time to get sober.

This is why. Not having the voice in head....

...listening to it.

skipper123 08-03-2018 06:00 PM

Can u go but have a non alcoholic margarita? I’m not sure if that’s a great idea but if u have to get out of the house find a good na drink.

AnvilheadII 08-03-2018 06:01 PM

we don't EARN the right to drink....we have in fact LOST the privilege.
drinking is bad news, always, ALWAYS, takes you down.
you are not bored, you are simply seeking an excuse.
it was because you were SOBER that you did so well in the interview.
sober can bring you many many good things.
drunk will not.

Anna 08-03-2018 06:04 PM

Toni, I hope you get through this and I hope you see the value in staying sober.

Dee74 08-03-2018 06:08 PM

I had to accept that drinking was anything but a reward.
Go reread some of your old threads Toni - there's no reward there...only misery.

D

Caralara144 08-03-2018 06:12 PM

It's only a voice in your head
Tell it to shut the $*** up
Don't listen to it
It's a liar
Quote:::

Man takes a drink
The drink takes a drink then
The drink takes the man

FACT
Don't do it x

MindfulMan 08-03-2018 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by skipper123 (Post 6973685)
Can u go but have a non alcoholic margarita? I’m not sure if that’s a great idea but if u have to get out of the house find a good na drink.

I could do that.

I also have friends that support my sobriety unconditionally and I've been sober almost 15 months.

I was in rehab at 10 days. If I hadn't been in rehab and I'd put myself in that situation, I have little doubt that I would have caved.

Everyone needs to find their comfort zone for socializing around alcohol. And it changes over time. What I could do at 30 days was FAR less restrictive than at 60, 90, 120, 6 months, a year.

I also made the decision that drinking was off the table. Has the OP?

You can celebrate without drinking or even being in a situation with people who don't drink. My experience was not even to think about it until I'd finished with my IOP at 5 months sober. I'd learned techniques to manage cravings by that point as well, and had some experiences where the cravings were pretty potent. I got through it.

I can only give my own experience. That's what worked for me. If you really want to stop, think about what you're doing.

Do you REALLY value your sobriety? Do you REALLY want to stop drinking for good?

tonisherrell 08-03-2018 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by DontRemember (Post 6973667)
when's the last time you drank?

Its been 10 days

fini 08-03-2018 08:50 PM

so toni, what is your experience with listening to that voice and following those thoughts of deserving and such?

Gerard52 08-03-2018 10:55 PM

tonisherrell, if you want to give up drinking you need to get past urges like this. You are not missing out by not going. Do some exercise to release some endorphins get a natural high? Go to a AA meeting? A movie?

You will thank yourself if you can get past this.