Notices

Weekender Thread 02-06 AUGUST 2018

Old 08-04-2018, 03:58 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Purplrks3647 View Post
....and I'd be passing by my favorite pub that I used to go to ALL the time....

AV really is starting in, though....
You have been there and done that Purps, play the tape 'till the end, it's not so great. You can do this.

Saoutchik Towers now accommodates a hook on desk for my somewhat bijou balcony. It is reasonably stable. I should really have bought it in May with the summer still ahead of me.

Another sober Saturday is about to pass as the black cat of sleep sticks its paws into what remains of my brain. Stay sober Weekenders.

https://giphy.com/gifs/gH9mmqt8VKfe0
Old 08-04-2018, 04:06 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

evening weekenders, hope everyone is doing well

stay close Purps - do you have a plan to deal with your AV? play the tape like Sao says, & whatever else you need to do to keep yourself safe

welcome to any weekender newbies, this is a good place for the weekend, post up if you're struggling

welcome back to the real world Manta - hope it is treating you gently
Old 08-04-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

sao, you click the little mountain picture at the top of the Reply text box and then copy/pasta the giphy URL in the popup box that will appear - that wraps the URL with the tags.

Alternately, you could just type the tags:

[IMG ]your URL here[/IMG ]

(without spaces in the brackets)

(quote me to see....)
Old 08-04-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

I'm out for the night too, guys and gals.

I hope you all made it through your Sober Saturday.

Onward. I think I'll watch Minions. Maybe. It's a big commitment, two hours.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:07 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning all.
It's 03:04 an ungodly hour.
Unfortunately the heat in the bedroom at my mom in laws house is not compatible with my sleep.
So going to have my coffee early and might have a siesta later on in the day.

Happy sober Sunday weekenders...
Old 08-04-2018, 06:12 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Yes, my bear.

I saw some scat out there in the woods that had me looking over my shoulder while I was pickin'. Not sure what kind of animal it was but there was a good amount of it and it had fur and pits and grass in it...like pits from small plums that grow wild around here...

I'd happily give up my pot of blackberries for any bear. Or cougar. Or coyote or wolf or whatever the heck it was.

Recipe? NM, I can look it up. I may be making jam myself.
That sounds like a scary place to live with all the wildlife! I love wild animals but have always been in awe of (and scared of) the big ones with big teeth that you guys have! We just have lots of toxic snakes and spiders... The furred creatures are generally pretty harmless (big kangaroos and koalas can be aggressive but generally avoid us humans). No big predators here, although I did get scared by the howling of a pack of dingoes one night...
Old 08-04-2018, 06:16 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BP2 View Post
Hi all,

It's a sunny and sober Saturday here, hope things are going well wherever you may be.

Today's cute creature is a baby echidna, they're called puggles:

J
Echidnas are super cool I had one living in my backyard for ages till he moved on. He used to dig up the garden a fair bit, at least I think it was him. Whenever I saw him he was usually asleep under my back step
Old 08-04-2018, 06:25 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

I just realised today is 12 weeks sober (84 days)
Old 08-04-2018, 06:44 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Mr

Congratulations Willow.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:56 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Congrats Willow!
Old 08-04-2018, 06:56 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
...I'm down to one cat. Keeping it that way. They live a reeeeeeaaaaallllllly long time.
Especially the craby ones!
Old 08-04-2018, 07:03 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Willow!
Old 08-04-2018, 07:46 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Thank you! ❤️
Old 08-04-2018, 09:54 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Willow, the furry critters here are mostly afraid of humans. There's only two that look at us as prey. Grizzlies and mountain lions. Although, moose kill a lot of people every year.

While here in the South, we have every biting insect and snake there are, your's are much more a problem for you. You have crocs, we have gators.

Fun story:
One year, the whole family is in a cabin in North Georgia. Top of the mountain state park, beautiful place. We're all out on the back porch relazing when my sister exclaims: "A bear!"

I look and see bear hindquarters going around the end of the cabin. Being a man of photographic action, I leap up, run, grab a camera, bound out the front door, around the van...

And there's the bear.

20 yards away. Full grown black bear. 250 pounds.

Looking at me with real fear in it's eyes. It was scared. I look bigger than a black bear because I'm vertical.

Camera starts going click click click. The rest of the family catches up to me and starts retreating inside. Other cabin renters are going about their business. I yell out: "people, pay attention!" I hear ochits as people retreat inside.

Surrounded and aghast, the bear does the only thing it can. It runs like hell. Straight up the road. No retreat to the woods for this one. I got a few more "action" photos of this critter.

Black bears see us as bigger than them. If one confronts you, you raise your arms and scream. Be even bigger.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:16 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Willow, the furry critters here are mostly afraid of humans. There's only two that look at us as prey. Grizzlies and mountain lions. Although, moose kill a lot of people every year.

While here in the South, we have every biting insect and snake there are, your's are much more a problem for you. You have crocs, we have gators.

Fun story:
One year, the whole family is in a cabin in North Georgia. Top of the mountain state park, beautiful place. We're all out on the back porch relazing when my sister exclaims: "A bear!"

I look and see bear hindquarters going around the end of the cabin. Being a man of photographic action, I leap up, run, grab a camera, bound out the front door, around the van...

And there's the bear.

20 yards away. Full grown black bear. 250 pounds.

Looking at me with real fear in it's eyes. It was scared. I look bigger than a black bear because I'm vertical.

Camera starts going click click click. The rest of the family catches up to me and starts retreating inside. Other cabin renters are going about their business. I yell out: "people, pay attention!" I hear ochits as people retreat inside.

Surrounded and aghast, the bear does the only thing it can. It runs like hell. Straight up the road. No retreat to the woods for this one. I got a few more "action" photos of this critter.

Black bears see us as bigger than them. If one confronts you, you raise your arms and scream. Be even bigger.
Thanks Trach I guess most animals see us as predators rather than prey even when they’re bigger than us.... I love bears but I don’t think I’d want to face a grizzly bear in the woods... I got chased by a cassowary once which was quite scary. I hid behind a tree. The advice for cassowaries is to hold your arm up with a hat on it to appear taller. I forgot that advice when faced with it. They have been known to kill people but rarely. I did get kicked by a big roo when I was little at a wildlife park but roos aren’t generally considered dangerous
Old 08-04-2018, 11:09 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
I just realised today is 12 weeks sober (84 days)
congratulation Willow! I think it was around then in my recovery that I started feeling that life was a bit more manageable

don't you have ferocious drop bears to contend with in Oz?
Old 08-05-2018, 12:39 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

I had known that about animals being intimidated by something taller: when my kids were little we used to watch and rewatch a movie called The Gods Must Be Crazy II, which showed a hyena menacing a little bush kid, who grabbed a big piece of bark and held it over his head, at which point the hyena retreated.

I saw that played out right inside my own home in the mid 90s.

We dog-sat a Cairn Terrier for my husband's coworker.

The first thing he did when he entered the house and saw me was run up and stand on top of the back of the couch to try to look taller than me!

The second thing he did was (ahem) "show dominance" to the other "four-legged creature" in the house, my year-old son, who was crawling on all fours!
Old 08-05-2018, 01:32 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
congratulation Willow! I think it was around then in my recovery that I started feeling that life was a bit more manageable

don't you have ferocious drop bears to contend with in Oz?
Thanks Andy
Yep you have to watch out for those drop bears, they’re pretty scary
Old 08-05-2018, 01:34 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I had known that about animals being intimidated by something taller: when my kids were little we used to watch and rewatch a movie called The Gods Must Be Crazy II, which showed a hyena menacing a little bush kid, who grabbed a big piece of bark and held it over his head, at which point the hyena retreated.

I saw that played out right inside my own home in the mid 90s.

We dog-sat a Cairn Terrier for my husband's coworker.

The first thing he did when he entered the house and saw me was run up and stand on top of the back of the couch to try to look taller than me!

The second thing he did was (ahem) "show dominance" to the other "four-legged creature" in the house, my year-old son, who was crawling on all fours!
Hahaha Gilmer, little dogs have an interesting way of showing dominance don’t they
Old 08-05-2018, 02:04 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Hello weekenders,

I hope everyone is doing well.

I'm a bit weary this morning, still half asleep and in need of a coffee. I've got a new manual coffee grinder being delivered later so I'm trying to hold out until it's here, we'll see.

Today I bring you some wonderful photos of harvest mice playing in tulips.

https://mymodernmet.com/tiny-harvest...miles-herbert/

J