Notices

Weekender Thread 02-06 AUGUST 2018

Old 08-03-2018, 04:23 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I think people are kind of lax with the communion supplies at my church. The little wafers are totally stale—they must buy the cheapest brand possible—and once in awhile the grape juice is fermented.

It’s pretty gross. It’s not even like wine—it’s just plain spoiled!
Old 08-03-2018, 04:41 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

In for another fun filled sober weekend. Have a great one yall.
Bernie
Old 08-03-2018, 04:45 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Maybe because I just picked two more quarts of blackberries, I'm thinking I should have bought that bigger refrigerator AND I have no idea what I'm gonna do with them.
don't you have a bear cub to feed?

I made some rather nice bramble (blackberry) & apple jam (jelly) a few years ago with blackberries I picked & some windfall apples from my friend's garden.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
don't you have a bear cub to feed?

I made some rather nice bramble (blackberry) & apple jam (jelly) a few years ago with blackberries I picked & some windfall apples from my friend's garden.
Yes, my bear.

I saw some scat out there in the woods that had me looking over my shoulder while I was pickin'. Not sure what kind of animal it was but there was a good amount of it and it had fur and pits and grass in it...like pits from small plums that grow wild around here...

I'd happily give up my pot of blackberries for any bear. Or cougar. Or coyote or wolf or whatever the heck it was.

Recipe? NM, I can look it up. I may be making jam myself.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:58 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Gilmer, communion always made me feel weird. I used to go to Catholic church with my friends when I was a kid (I'm not Catholic) and would go up for communion. Probably against all the laws of the church!

Then I visited a Mormon church and they kept trying to get me to join and they said it was okay if I took communion, but I was afraid they laced it or something with whatever it is they give those door to door missionaries.

Apologies to any Mormons here. I liked the people. It was the beliefs that were - - different - -
Old 08-03-2018, 04:59 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Blackberry jam is my favorite. But I like Smucker’s because they make a seedless version!
Old 08-03-2018, 05:02 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I grew up Catholic too, and in many ways that’s where my heart still lies.

Sometimes the hosts tasted just like cardboard—but wow, when they were good they were absolutely delicious!

(Not that the “accidents” matter...)
Old 08-03-2018, 05:05 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

How did you grow up Catholic and an only child? None of my business, it's just interesting.

My friends that were Catholic all had big families, which was great for me, I am also an only child.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:06 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

I think I could use a wire strainer? To get the blackberry seeds.

Protein, tho.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:45 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

My mom had an ectopic pregnancy when she was first married.

They tried to get pregnant again, but I didn’t come along till twelve years later, when she was 41. She got pregnant again the following year, too, but had a miscarriage.

Two of my Catholic friends growing up had families with eight kids! They were a rollicking good time!

I think they were a large reason why I was inspired to have five!
Old 08-03-2018, 05:52 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I love blackberries. Always have. Seeds and all... I'll be right over.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:21 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hi, joining the group! I’ll check in later.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:57 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hi, all!
I will happily join you in not drinking this weekend. Saturday will be the three-week mark for me. I'll be celebrating with coffee.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:55 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Gilmer, communion always made me feel weird. I used to go to Catholic church with my friends when I was a kid (I'm not Catholic) and would go up for communion. Probably against all the laws of the church!
I got married in the Catholic Church and my family is not Catholic. Right side all went up for communion while the left side just sat there. My wife's grandmother was still alive so a wedding ceremony was out of the question... go full blown mass like everything else.

That was 20 years ago... pretty much every wedding I go to now in the Catholic Church does not have communion. The ceremony also lasts less than an hour!!
Old 08-03-2018, 08:59 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YuriO View Post
We call them Chicken Wings, or just Wings. And we eat them in hot sauce. Not Teriyaki. Not Garlic Parmasan. Not Wasabi Soy. NO. Franks Red Hot Sauce mixed with Butter, so it sticks to the Wings.

That's how we celebrate in Western New York, and that's what I'll be doing - partying - YEAH! With my WINGS!!!!
YUMMAY!
Old 08-03-2018, 09:07 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

I made it home and had cookies & milk to quiet down the whispering AV....

Dammit, now I want wings! Maybe tomorrow
Old 08-03-2018, 09:34 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Probably heretical but, Publix has a Mardi Gras wing recipe that is about the best I've ever eaten.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:39 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders Branches!

I could hear lots of emergency vehicles last night, I bet many, maybe most of them were alcohol related in one way or another. Giving them a break is another positive from not picking up.

I went for a walk along the canal towpath this morning, it was very quiet. Enjoying a coffee now.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:23 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders

Just getting ready to go to my Saturday meeting, it's one of my favourite meetings. I know I learn from all of them, but this one is special for me.

Off for afternoon tea with my Hubby afterwards, some lush sandwiches and cake, lovely jubbly.

Bimini I love blackberries and would probably have eaten well more than I would've taken home. Home made Jam, absolutely fabulous.

Hope you all are well and have a good Saturday. SP xx
Old 08-04-2018, 04:14 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Good morning weekenders!!!! It’s 6:42 am here on the US east coast!! Why am I awake at this hour? Lol! 60 days today 😮! I’m filled with gratitude even at this early hour! 60 days is such a good feeling. I haven’t had 60 true days in a long time! Each day is a blessing and at times a challenge as I live life on life’s terms just for today! So thankful for my SR family, my AA family and my friends and family who are supporting me as I learn to be the real me I’m created to be in full acceptance of being an alcoholic and it’s ok. So much change happening and while it’s scary at times, it’s amazing to wake up sober and not battling a hangover. Gives me strength to work this new life, to learn and accept my character defects and to embrace change and life without the need for self medicating... well there is one more thing to get rid of, and that is cigarettes. I haven’t felt strong enough to this point to even think about it, but it’s time to let that go so that I can truely be clear of all substances. I don’t need this “crutch”! I can walk forward free, so I shall plan to be free! Heading to my morning meeting in a few, and then chilling with my dear friends!! Even this rainy day can’t steal my JOY today!! Just for today!!!❤️