Notices

Weekender Thread 02-06 AUGUST 2018

Old 08-03-2018, 05:30 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Keep strong Minion.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:43 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Having some challenges here too...first-world problems.
Just wondering how come karma always bites me in the butt...if I complain about something in my life it shows up over and over to teach me that I have to change, not the world....so really, this is a good lesson, right? It is just not pleasant.

This too shall pass.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sweetpeacan View Post
Ok, it's time I dipped my toe into the weekenders home. Hello & hope we have a great safe weekend. SP
Awesome to see you here lovely one. ♥♥

Welcome helloxdarling as well....and sorry I accidentally left you off the list in the 24-hour thread last night....I will make sure you are on it today. xx ♥

Welcome everyone I missed.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:08 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Jumping in for a hello - I'm helping my son and his gf move from Boston back to VT tomorrow in the pouring rain looks like but I'm grateful to be sober and able to help. Glad to see you all
Old 08-03-2018, 06:32 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Mr

Good luck with the moving SoberClover...
The rain might make it awkward. Some plastic sheets maybe.
Stay strong Minion if the AV comes around come on here. There is nearly always someone online.
Bisous Suze - it will pass as you said.
Welcome Sweetpeacan

Well Im going home now and its summer holidays.
Off work for 4 full weeks... Its nearly a sin

Last edited by theVman31; 08-03-2018 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Spelling sweetpeacan - remind me to take my skiing gloves off next time Im typing :-)
Old 08-03-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I love that sloth video! I didn't know they were so talkative

According to the Spirit Animal Quiz I'm a lion....I think I'm still the cub at this point....
Old 08-03-2018, 07:06 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

LadyBlue and Lunar - so nice to hear things are going well for both of you.

Congrats on your sober time, and LadyBlue congrats on the cigarette quit. It feels great to be someone who is living as designed, without adding a bunch of outside drugs.

I will probably not give up my one cuppa morning coffee or my pint of Ben and Jerry's froyo once a week. I am trying to get out of the gluten undertow though. It's been trying to drag me under lately. Ugh. Once I start...and if I mix gluten and sugar - it's a problem.

We have rain! The trees are needing it badly. Lately I've been noticing all the old huge trees. I found some old-growth cedars and Douglas firs in the parks, and a few 200-300 year old Maples at the zoo. Pretty amazing, and they seem to do fine, but the younger trees are droopy.

Minion, we are the support system. As I've often read, come here and ask permission to drink. I live alone and don't have any family. This was my life-saver in the beginning when I felt out-of-control mentally.

When I was in early days I would get a craving to drink and if I was not close to this site, I would start listing the usernames and think, "Every one of them would tell me not to do it. I don't drink." It was surprising how many usernames I could think up - but I was in several ongoing threads - this one, my class thread, the 24 hour thread. The exercise distracted, gave me time to let the urge pass, and reinforced my decision.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:06 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

well. That was chatty.

Tl;dr - bunch of stuff/use us for support.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:47 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hi, gang! Welcome to the newcomers and people we haven’t seen in awhile!
Old 08-03-2018, 08:54 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
saoutchik

60 days is brilliant Minion, you can do it!

Have a great holiday VMan, you have earned it.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:11 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

The weekend is here. My month sober anniversary is here, tomorrow, but close enough. Time to celebrate!

How do we celebrate in Western New York. NOT WITH BEER, no! With chicken wings, that's how we celebrate in Western New York.

We don't call them Buffalo Wings, no. That's what the outsiders call them. We call them Chicken Wings, or just Wings. And we eat them in hot sauce. Not Teriyaki. Not Garlic Parmasan. Not Wasabi Soy. NO. Franks Red Hot Sauce mixed with Butter, so it sticks to the Wings.

That's how we celebrate in Western New York, and that's what I'll be doing - partying - YEAH! With my WINGS!!!!
Old 08-03-2018, 11:22 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Yay, Yuri! Congrats.

Now I must have wings.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:26 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Got some major grocery shopping done and for the first time in a long time my head and thoughts were turning to the wine aisle. Work has been very stressful with long hours, BS factor way high. I have been placed in a FTO position (which I wanted) but I have 2 different Sgt's telling me 2 different ways to do the same thing, do this, dont do that, each one expecting me to do it their way, than the LT. puts in her opinion that I should only be listening to SGT #1 who by the way I am rarely on the same shift with,,,, sigh,,,,,,. SGT #2 now gets all bent out of shape as I am not doing things her way, ( I work with her more) SHE went to the class so therefore SHE knows more than #1 so I should obey her commands, jump when she says frog, so I respectfully tell her what the LT instructed me to do, which caused much hand waving and her stomping off telling me SHE would talk to the LT and get back to me,,,,

Anyway a perfect AV sh*t storm, so I settled with my go to comfort food, popcorn, reeses peanut butter cups and milk. I know I am going to be feeling the effects of this junk food medley later but for right now I am content and tomorrow I will not be more upset with myself for drinking and being hung over.

Life will be fine. all will be okay.

Badge
Old 08-03-2018, 11:28 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Reeses and milk sounds pretty darn good to me.....so does the popcorn.
(I like the Reeses cold from the fridge ).

You got through it love....and a small amount of chocolate shall be sacrificed for the good of womankind.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:32 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Cripes! so many new people on the thread this weekend

1st week home and so far everything has been going well (not trying to tempt fate here lol). I have absolutely no desire to drink but the odd thing is my auto-pilot mind hasn't realised I don't drink anymore. I have had a few moments this week where my mind thought "I'll pick up a bottle for tonight", not really out of stress or cravings in particular but more like when I moved house in the past, whilst driving home and not paying attention, I drove to my old house forgetting I had just moved! I catch the thought immediately and are not worried that I will pick up without realising but it just shows me how strongly the brain gets re-wired when we are in active addiction and how much work and consistent effort I need to put in to re-wire it in the right way. One thing that is firm in my mind is that no matter how bad things get, or how anxious/depressed/stressed I may get in life is that alcohol is not the solution and never will be. I used to say that as it was the right thing to say, but now I believe it with every fibre of my being. 52 days sober and I am so grateful that today has been a good sober day. xx
Old 08-03-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

That happened to me when I first stopped drinking, ML: I gulped a little thimbleful of wine right down because it was my mechanical response to a person offering free samples in the supermarket.

I had just stopped drinking, and the second I swallowed it I realized what I had done!

I came on here full of angst, wondering if I had to reset my sobriety date.

In the end I decided no, because it was honestly not my premeditated decision to take alcohol, and the amount was negligible.

If I had taken the sip of wine with full cognition, I would have started over.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:41 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Badge, I love the term “junk food medley!”
Old 08-03-2018, 02:37 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Mantalady my love.....proud of you.....so happy you are home.....remember lots of us are AA and even if not we all get the process.....but reach out if it gets sticky....grab a phone number or just yell....we will be there for you and with you...you are doing so so so so well....next step is consolidating.....making this your comfortable new life. And it will be. ♥♥
Old 08-03-2018, 04:05 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
LadyBlue and Lunar - so nice to hear things are going well for both of you.

Congrats on your sober time, and LadyBlue congrats on the cigarette quit. It feels great to be someone who is living as designed, without adding a bunch of outside drugs.

I will probably not give up my one cuppa morning coffee or my pint of Ben and Jerry's froyo once a week. I am trying to get out of the gluten undertow though. It's been trying to drag me under lately. Ugh. Once I start...and if I mix gluten and sugar - it's a problem.

We have rain! The trees are needing it badly. Lately I've been noticing all the old huge trees. I found some old-growth cedars and Douglas firs in the parks, and a few 200-300 year old Maples at the zoo. Pretty amazing, and they seem to do fine, but the younger trees are droopy.

Minion, we are the support system. As I've often read, come here and ask permission to drink. I live alone and don't have any family. This was my life-saver in the beginning when I felt out-of-control mentally.

When I was in early days I would get a craving to drink and if I was not close to this site, I would start listing the usernames and think, "Every one of them would tell me not to do it. I don't drink." It was surprising how many usernames I could think up - but I was in several ongoing threads - this one, my class thread, the 24 hour thread. The exercise distracted, gave me time to let the urge pass, and reinforced my decision.
Thanks Biminiblue, YES, you are all my support system for realz!! Thanks for the encouragement! Thanks to everyone for the encouragement!! I’m doing ok, hitting a meeting in a few, and here and AA is where I’ll plant my feet this weekend! So grateful to you all for the wisdom and support. It will be an awesome weekend!! Can’t believe that tomorrow is 60 days... ohhh how things have changed for the better!! Yes the emotions are still a bit rollercoaster style, but I’ll take the ups and downs as each day I’m learning to live life on life’s terms!! Going to get a yummy decaf blueberry coffee before the meeting and settle in for some good stuff! Thanks again everyone! 💕
Old 08-03-2018, 04:16 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

"decaf blueberry coffee," I admit I'm intrigued.

Maybe because I just picked two more quarts of blackberries, I'm thinking I should have bought that bigger refrigerator AND I have no idea what I'm gonna do with them. Right now they're on cookie sheets freezing. But I already had a bunch, and I'm sure I'll go back and get more!

Today I was eating them off the vine and I got one that was quite fermented. I thought, "Hm. Blackberry wine."

NOT resetting. (Gilmer, I giggled at your free sample.)