Notices

Weekender Thread 02-06 AUGUST 2018

Old 08-08-2018, 04:46 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

In your coffee? Really? Hmm....it is a wonderful anti-inflammatory, and I took it for a while in capsule form...cannot imagine how it would go in coffee.

And good morning

And \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Old 08-08-2018, 05:08 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  

I'm just drinking the KoolAid, Venus.

Not literally, but trying turmeric in various things to see how it is. It was fine in the coffee, I only put 1/4 teaspoon, and it wasn't too flavorful. I'll keep doing it, it made the coffee less bitter.

I was looking online and found Golden Milk, too. I don't buy the nut milks, but I may try it with regular milk.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:25 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

I put turmeric in rice - it makes it go yellow & the rice never looks inflamed

Happy International Cat Day to all
Old 08-08-2018, 05:28 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Cat Day!! What??

Old 08-08-2018, 05:31 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

It's Cat Day everyday! Tee-hee

I buy 'turmeric shots' sometimes in my local Sainsbury's. It tastes yucky, but I've heard it's good for... some stuff, so I drink it and visualize how healthy I become. lol
Old 08-08-2018, 06:01 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Old 08-08-2018, 07:29 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
Is the penny another "red dress blue dress" like illusion? I use Chrome on an Andriod tablet. I just tried firefox with the same result - no penny. Later I'll try my windows laptop just for giggles....
So I tried IE on Windows, still nope. I suspect that only friends can see it?
Old 08-08-2018, 07:37 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
So I tried IE on Windows, still nope. I suspect that only friends can see it?
Well, I'll send you a FR, but I don't have any protections on my images here...
Old 08-08-2018, 07:42 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

reposting. For STDragon (?) Can you see the blue dress now?

Old 08-08-2018, 08:30 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Bim, I can't see your images either - firefox on a mac desktop. I have no idea why, though. Wish I could help.

Just wanted to pop in and read the posts - gotta say, I'm so uplifted after reading the whole thread. MantaLady, you are doing so great, and your posts are making me smile. Minion, you, too. And everyone else who is succeeding! I am old and I can't remember everything I just read and who said what. I have been feeling kind of blah and down lately, so it's wonderful to come here and get a boost reading all of your lovely posts.

Work is quiet right now (summer at a University, it generally is), and I'm thinking about playing hooky this afternoon and going for a long hike in order to cement this good feeling. This summer I have not been out hiking nearly as much as I usually do, because of various things, including dealing with my dad's estate, and I can really tell. So I might just do that.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:34 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

OH,

I found another little "privacy" thingy on my User CP. Now the images should show. I changed it to "registered members."

Not that they're Ansel Adams.

I don't really like having my images public though. I'll probably lock it back down in a couple days. If I remember. I'd rather just have "friends/viewable."
Old 08-08-2018, 08:43 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Yes, now I can see the squished penny.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:43 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Thanks for all the support guys and gals

So the meeting was a bit weird but in a way perfect for my first one. The chair of the meeting was new to running his own meeting so he was really nervous. There were only 4 other people there, aparantly the one on this night they are trying to keep going as it is not a popular night for recovering alcoholics in Yorkshire haha! There are 2 others at the same place in the week and they are much busier aparantly. Still, it was nice as it was small, I shared a bit which I didn't think I would have the courage to do but I did. I am going to another one tonight in a different village about 15 minutes drive from me so will see how that compares, still not 100% sold on the meetings but I promised myself I would try out quite a few in the first month home before I make a decision if it is for me or not. I am defo going to join the online SMART Recovery Meetings though, the opposite of addiction is connection...and bloody well connected I am gonna get myself!

Got a mail from the gas company who have decided to double my payments, I am in significant credit with them alread, they know I have been away for 2 months so have used no gas yet they tell me there is nothing I can do about it nor can I have my chunky credit balance back. I have to give them another reading next month and the month after and they will take a look then to see if I might go back down to the same payment as before. Argh!!! Usually I would have been drinking when I made the call to these types of shysters, would have flipped my lid and then drunk more at the frustration and anger, glad I can let it go today and keep my decorum!

I got a new apple watch today so I can track my health goals and exercise, I love shiny new toys! It can connect to the equipment at my gym and log all my training and I can take it swimming! I need to learn how to use it proper though as I am a bit of a technophobe when it comes to this sort of stuff, nothing like trying to "get down with the kids" to make you feel your age haha!

Anyhow, hope everyone is doing good, be good and be kind to yourselves xx
Old 08-08-2018, 10:14 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Really really pleased to hear from you ML....
A bit weird maybe, but yey you!
What a win girl!!!!!
And Yorkshire.....gosh.....I have been trying to work out where you are from for ages....

(Reminds me that I have been in the US for a year and half and I need to make some Yorkshire Pudding for Nick )

Hope the meeting tonight is awesome.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:05 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

I’m on my way to the Jersey Shore with my two daughters and granddaughter.

One of my cousins lives in the area, and I had arranged to stop in at his place to visit and kill time till check-in time at our motel.

Turns out we’ll get there later than we thought, so now the plan is to go directly to the motel, rest for an hour, then go to his town for a pre-reserved carriage ride around the town. Then I have reservations at 6 for dinner (where they serve snapper soup—with REAL SNAPPING TURTLE MEAT).

So I asked my cousin if we could switch to an after dinner time, say 7:30.

He and his wife had previous plans to see a concert; but he said by all means to come on over at 8:30. He promised to roll out the red carpet for us by preparing a pitcher of tasty frozen drinks.

I have told him before that I’m an alcoholic, but the news always seems to fall on deaf ears.

When I first found out that it would be pushed back to 8:30, I wanted to call off the whole thing. 9:00 is usually my bedtime—how much more so after a long day of traveling?

And the whole “heavy drinking is a way of life” attitude was just something I just didn’t want to deal with.

But he’s a good cousin and the only link for the cousins with the rest of the family.

And there is no other time that would be more convenient, so I went with it.

I wrote back reminding him that my 7–y-o granddaughter would be along, so she and I would need virgin drinks.

Then I remembered, “Oh! And B. is pregnant, so she’ll need one, too!

Then I thought, “And S. is driving, so I guess that means virgin drinks for all of us!

“But don’t mind us! We’ll be ready for a good time no matter what we drink!”

It still stressed me out, though, and made me want to avoid the evening like the plague!

I apologetically told my daughters about the new plan that threatened to drag on past bedtime.

Surprisingly, my daughters were very pleased that I should go and get together with him and his wife one last time. They’re psyched for the fun vibe that seems to have been accompanying all my “final get-togethers” so far.

Just knowing that they actually wanted to go and weren’t awkward about hanging out with some relative that they barely knew, it brought back my excitement.

And at this point we’ve just got an hour left on the trip, and I’m in no way tired!

At dinner I’ll just have a cup of coffee to prop me up for the late visit.

Wish us luck!
Old 08-08-2018, 11:09 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post

Wish us luck!
Good luck!
Old 08-08-2018, 11:13 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I bought a keyboard with fluorescent green glow in the dark HUGE LETTERS keys, for old people like me who get up early and don't want the lights on yet. \\\ But the backspace key isn't as big as my old one and I keep hitting the backslash. I guess my typing skillz aren't that great.

In other news, I fell to the "turmeric m;agi\\\\===....uh magic" hype. I am having turmeric in my morning coffee. Can't say it does much for me, but I'm gonna keep trying it to see if I notice anything.

Happy Wednesday.
turmeric is only part of the equation. To get the full benefit, it needs catalysts. The full anti-inflammatory mix is turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, paprika, ginger, garlic and capsacen. I eat plenty of garlic and pepper so I leave off the last two but, I have at least a 1/2 teaspoon of a mix of the other daily. Kinda tasty. I use it like a shake on seasoning.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:19 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

mmmmm...turtle soup
Old 08-08-2018, 12:21 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Have fun Gilmer, the carriage ride sounds great. You guys will get a lot more out of the evening than the drinkers.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:47 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Well, the cousin’s shindig won’t be happening. My younger daughter is in the ER right now to determine whether she’s suffering a miscarriage.