SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   90 days sober today (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/430801-90-days-sober-today.html)

Helianthus 08-01-2018 08:35 PM

90 days sober today

Today is 90 days sober and 165 days cigarette free.

Never thought I would be typing that, ever. So happy I'm going to allow myself a pat on the back.

I have been feeling a certain amount of discontentment over the last couple of weeks, I was feeling great and very motivated in my sobriety, healthy eating and exercise. I haven't felt like working out for the past week so I figured giving myself a break would help. I talked to my partner about it this morning and said I feel like I'm stagnating, I need to move forward but I'm not sure how. I suppose the first three months are a pretty exciting time because there is a huge amount of change happening and so many goals that seemed out of reach are achieved. It's to be expected that things would feel a little more mundane afterwards.

I don't want to drink, I have no cravings at all I just need to find a way to break through this "wall" I seem to have encountered. I've found myself eating a lot more sweet treats over the last couple of weeks than I ever have which I have stopped, I think all the sugar was making me feel a little down mood wise if that's possible? Or maybe it's PAWS making an appearance.

Dunno, hopefully normal service will resume soon.

Have a great evening everyone :)

least 08-01-2018 08:42 PM

Congrats on three months sober! :scoregood I felt a bit off around three months and it was suggested that I start actively practicing gratitude every day. I did, tho it was hard at first, and it really helped my sobriety. :)

Gratitude can even make you happier. :)

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0

Helianthus 08-01-2018 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by least (Post 6971851)
Congrats on three months sober! :scoregood I felt a bit off around three months and it was suggested that I start actively practicing gratitude every day. I did, tho it was hard at first, and it really helped my sobriety. :)

Gratitude can even make you happier. :)

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0

Thanks least :) That's a good suggestion and something I haven't been doing, thanks for the link I'll take a look. I have a 7 days of gratitude program on my meditation app so let's see what upping my gratitude level over the next week will do.

Thanks for your quick reply I appreciate it :)

Free2bme888 08-01-2018 09:01 PM

Congrats helianthus!

90 days is absolutely awesome

I’m not sure what’s causing your funk either but I sure do hope that it passes soon for you I’m sure that it wI’ll

least 08-01-2018 09:01 PM

We have a whole gratitude forum just for giving thanks. :)

Helianthus 08-01-2018 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Free2bme888 (Post 6971858)
Congrats helianthus!

90 days is absolutely awesome

I’m not sure what’s causing your funk either but I sure do hope that it passes soon for you I’m sure that it wI’ll

Thanks for replying Free2bme888, very nice of you to say so :)

Gerard52 08-01-2018 10:40 PM

3 months is major. You are moving into maintenance phase. May be find a new challenge. My longest was over 4 months I went back to drinking for no good reason. I was at stage where I wasn't even thinking about drinking much and one saturday went what the hell I can take a night off. Big mistake.

Healthyandsober 08-01-2018 10:56 PM

Congratulations !:grouphug:

ShenzyT 08-02-2018 12:22 AM

Congratulations on 90 days, that's fantastic.:You_Rock_:You_Rock_:scoregood

Dee74 08-02-2018 12:25 AM

Congrats on 90 days. I remember things got a lot better for me from there so I hope it's the same for you too Helianthus :)

D

catlover1989 08-02-2018 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Helianthus (Post 6971848)
Today is 90 days sober and 165 days cigarette free.

Never thought I would be typing that, ever. So happy I'm going to allow myself a pat on the back.

I have been feeling a certain amount of discontentment over the last couple of weeks, I was feeling great and very motivated in my sobriety, healthy eating and exercise. I haven't felt like working out for the past week so I figured giving myself a break would help. I talked to my partner about it this morning and said I feel like I'm stagnating, I need to move forward but I'm not sure how. I suppose the first three months are a pretty exciting time because there is a huge amount of change happening and so many goals that seemed out of reach are achieved. It's to be expected that things would feel a little more mundane afterwards.

I don't want to drink, I have no cravings at all I just need to find a way to break through this "wall" I seem to have encountered. I've found myself eating a lot more sweet treats over the last couple of weeks than I ever have which I have stopped, I think all the sugar was making me feel a little down mood wise if that's possible? Or maybe it's PAWS making an appearance.

Dunno, hopefully normal service will resume soon.

Have a great evening everyone :)

Big congrats! I'm proud of you. I'm 3 months sober today and I feel great! I actually envy you a tad bit, cause I'm only on Day 9 regarding cigarettes! I keep giving in to "just having one smoke" from time to time. So a huge congrats to you. Keep up the good fight :)

Caralara144 08-02-2018 01:24 AM

Congratulations that's fantastic
Well done you x❤❤

ChloeRose63 08-02-2018 01:27 AM

Congrats! Good job on 90 days!

John65 08-02-2018 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Helianthus (Post 6971848)
I've found myself eating a lot more sweet treats over the last couple of weeks than I ever have which I have stopped, I think all the sugar was making me feel a little down mood wise if that's possible?

Hello Helianthus,

Well done on the 90 days and cigs, great stuff!

I think too much refined sugar certainly can cause low mood and depression. It certainly doesn't have a good effect on me and I try to avoid it with varying degrees of success (sweet tooth!)

Here's a link you might find of interest:

Does sugar make you sad? New science suggests so

J

Firefly36 08-02-2018 04:42 AM

Good job! That's huge!

lessgravity 08-02-2018 08:54 AM

Great job and a big congrats.

Helianthus 08-02-2018 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by catlover1989 (Post 6972019)
Big congrats! I'm proud of you. I'm 3 months sober today and I feel great! I actually envy you a tad bit, cause I'm only on Day 9 regarding cigarettes! I keep giving in to "just having one smoke" from time to time. So a huge congrats to you. Keep up the good fight :)

Thanks for your reply catlover, when I gave up I was only smoking about two a day and not even whole ones just a puff or two every so often. I gave up because I had a really important physical that I had to pass and was indulging my alcoholic hypochondria (boy I don't miss that) that I was going to fail on my blood pressure so at that point I gave up cigarettes and alcohol at the same time. Only managed three weeks that time with the booze but not smoking managed to stick.

Congratulations on your nearly 10 days now, I didn't fall off the wagon with quitting smoking but the cravings were definitely more intense and lasted longer. I'm fortunate that I'm never around smokers because the smell would have driven me mad lol.

According to my quit smoking app in the last 10 days your -

- Blood pressure, pulse rate and limb temperature have returned to normal
- Oxygen levels are back to normal and carbon monoxide levels are dropping
- You have no nicotine in your system
- Damaged nerve ending are regrowing giving you back your healthy taste and smell
- Your lungs are starting to regenerate themselves

And on day 10 your blood circulation is back to normal!

I'm sure you know all of that but it really helped me to know how my body was getting better the longer I didn't smoke.

:tyou

Helianthus 08-02-2018 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by BP2 (Post 6972037)
Hello Helianthus,

Well done on the 90 days and cigs, great stuff!

I think too much refined sugar certainly can cause low mood and depression. It certainly doesn't have a good effect on me and I try to avoid it with varying degrees of success (sweet tooth!)

Here's a link you might find of interest:

Does sugar make you sad? New science suggests so

J

Thanks BP2 :)

Since I quit and have become more aware of how my body behaves when it's not under the influence of anything more than a cup or two of caffeine, I noticed the refined sugar was causing cravings. I had read about this but didn't think it would effect me because I've never had a sweet tooth (cheese on the other hand). After I finished a whole pack of Reeces Mini Cups I had to admit defeat lol.

I was also really disappointed to find that the day after I have chinese bbq ribs (my favorite treat) I wake up feeling really sad, damn that MSG!

I've changed to a savory snack and maybe a cup of hot chocolate instead this week and can already feel the difference.

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look :)

Helianthus 08-02-2018 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Gerard52 (Post 6971916)
3 months is major. You are moving into maintenance phase. May be find a new challenge. My longest was over 4 months I went back to drinking for no good reason. I was at stage where I wasn't even thinking about drinking much and one saturday went what the hell I can take a night off. Big mistake.

Hi Gerard52

And thanks :) Throwing away all my hard work over the last three months for no good reason is by biggest fear. I have a tendency to over think things which kind of sucks the joy out of life, I may be my own worst enemy at this point :a043:

Good luck to you and your continued sobriety :c011:

Helianthus 08-02-2018 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by catlover1989 (Post 6972019)
I'm 3 months sober today and I feel great!

Catlover! I'm so sorry I didn't even congratulate you on 3 months sober yourself, how selfish of me. :scoregood:You_Rock_