Notices

Day 10 and still sober after 2 situations

Old 08-01-2018, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 10 and still sober after 2 situations

I am on Day 10, blessed to be where I am today. All the withdraw symptoms are gone, except having hard time falling asleep. I can handle it if that is all I have to deal with right now. Past weekend, we had a gathering at house with friends visiting from out of town. It was my 1st test since I stopped drinking. Being around 20+ people drinking and me drinking Pellegrino all night, but you know what, I had no desire for alcohol at all. And then, last night we went to Washington Nationals baseball game, and seems like everyone had a drink in their hands, but again I did not miss any alcohol. I actually enjoyed the game completely sober, and thought I can actually see the game with clear vision.

For those who are just starting, it gets better with everyday. Hang in there and do not give up. Yes, I have my moments in the evenings with cravings, but the weird thing is, it is not the alcohol, it is a habitual thing.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep it up Rover!!!!
Old 08-01-2018, 02:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome, Rover! I totally agree with you, the habit of drinking is the hardest to break.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 10 days sober! Keep going cause it really does get better.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sober style

Rave reviews for the sober Rover! Good work.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 10 Rover.

I'm glad you're doing well putting yourself in those situations - but I reckon there's no shame in making it easy on yourself either

I know we all have different ways up the mountain but I was always testing my sobriety and I always fell in a heap.

Last time, I stayed away from alcohol, I treasured my recovery, and I think thats why I'm still here all these years later?

D
Old 08-01-2018, 05:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats, but be careful!

Making it through those drinking events lead me to relapse a few times. I'd make it through the event then a day or two later find myself with a drink in my hand.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I was like you. When I was done, I was done. Although I didn't test that theory until I was about 60 days sober, when I saw Alt-J with friends who were drinking beer. Like you, at least by that point I had no desire to drink. First sober concert. IT was rad.

In those early days I always had a plan in place to escape if it got to be too much, and also gave myself the out if I thought a situation would be too much. At this point I'd pass on a drunken Vegas bachelor party where everyone will just be shtfaced, but as long as there's something else interesting going on I'm game.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome.

Yea... total myth that you are somehow missing out on something by not drinking. Total b.s..

-B
Old 08-01-2018, 09:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I wasn't really testing myself. I found myself in those situations only because we had bought the tickets to the baseball game couple of months ago for the family, and the other was a surprise summer visit from my wife's best friend from out of town, ended up having dinner party at our house. I don't see any other situations like that coming up again anytime soon.

Going on to Day 11 as of tonight. Staying strong, and one day at a time.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Was that the Nat's game where they scored like 25? Bryce Harper is a beast!!
Old 08-02-2018, 12:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How is Day 12, RoverVA? I hope you will check in and let us know how you are doing.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

@Dontremember, yes it was a crazy game 25-4. Me, my wife and the kids made it on the jumbo-tron.

@Firstymer, on to Day 12 tonight. I am actually doing fine. It has been a little busy with work last couple of days, which helps. Keeping my mind on things that are important to me. My work, my family, etc. My days are brighter and clearer in the morning, I feel much better emotionally and physically. My only issue has been having hard to time going to sleep and falling asleep.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations well done
You should be so proud x👏👏❤