Notices

I Am Lucky

Old 08-13-2018, 10:19 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

This was such a wonderful share; thank you so much.

I've also been stuck in the "now what" ego-centric focus on the future, worrying if I'll ever find employment again, if I'll be able to make the amends I need to make and start a new life. But the fact remains, I am SO lucky. I don't know how many DUI's I got out of, how many accidents I walked away from unscratched, how many awful places I went to that could have been my last. The fact that I'm standing and sober is a miracle in itself. Thank you for that reminder.

Bless you and fingers crossed. I think your wonderful perspective and attitude on the situation will bring about so many amazing things.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:36 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Buckley3 View Post
Call just came in. Transfer is happening tomorrow morning at 6:30am.

I don’t have words to express the relief. Everything becomes exponentially easier to manage from here...

B
This is such wonderful news Buckley. You consider to inspire me and many with your strength and determination to make the rest of your life the very best part.

Sending so much love your way.

❤️Delilah
Old 08-13-2018, 11:34 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Glad the transfer worked out. I've followed your story and have a huge amount of respect for the way you've handled things and the amazing perspective you continue to have. You really are an inspiration.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:08 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hmm... I wonder how many ways there are to say thank you and I'm grateful...

Thanks. I'm grateful.

Transfer is done. I am home with a GPS ankle bracelet and a breathalyzer kit.

What. An. Experience.

For info purposes - in case anyone is wondering how this all works -

I am still under formal custody of my county's sheriff's department. I will be until mid-January. (I received 7 months in my conviction last Tuesday. Of which, 25% will be discounted assuming 'good time.' That comes to 159 days.)

I have a GPS ankle bracelet and must submit a schedule each week to corrections and I must be at the locations I say when I say it. There is a very long list of rules and restrictions best summarized by - go straight to work, straight home, do not stop in between, do not go anywhere else, do not go without an approved ride, no visitors, absolute sobriety.

I have no complaints whatsoever and intend to keep things very simple and straightforward. They say 'jump', I'll say 'how high would you like me to jump?' My goal is to be the lowest maintenance person they've ever met.

I also have a breathalyzer kit. I'm notified via text randomly throughout the day and then have to take the test within 15-20 minutes of notification. It submits it automatically via the interwebs.

My county's sheriff's department can conduct searches of my home anytime. I figure they will likely drop in on me today to make sure I do not have any alcohol, drugs, or firearms on the premises. I, of course, do not. They can stay for dinner if they'd like.

I am still very much processing events of the last 8 days. It's been an experience unlike anything I've been through - and I've been a fairly.... let's just say 'adventurous'... guy my whole life.

I wouldn't trade this experience for the world. That may seem odd. But I consider myself fortunate to have seen the things I have first hand over the past week. My ordeal is nothing compared to what some people face - are facing. I mean that.

There are a few more hoops to jump through legally - getting re-licensed in late September and then crossing T's and dotting I's. My fines and court costs came to almost $2500.00. I'll have them paid in full by October.

But mostly, the major legal stuff is done. Now it's all about my sobriety and I'm thankful for that too. Front and center.

I'm very excited about the future. And very grateful for all the kind words. I really do hope any of this story is/was/will be helpful for anyone who needs it.

I'm going to rest now and eat. Tomorrow I return to the office and I've got a list of work to do that I'm eager to get to.

Best to all-

B
Old 08-14-2018, 10:15 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

Buckley, I am so, so glad this has worked out well in the end. You have grown so much since you first arrived here. I hope you take a moment to appreciate how far you've come. And, your determination to stay sober and your hard work in preparing for court paid off for you.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:08 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Buckley, I am so, so glad this has worked out well in the end. You have grown so much since you first arrived here. I hope you take a moment to appreciate how far you've come. And, your determination to stay sober and your hard work in preparing for court paid off for you.
Thank you Anna.

I'm almost at 6 months sober. 10 days or so from now. It makes my head spin to look back at all the places this road has taken me.

I've seen some posts and reminders lately from the admins here about not forgetting the state of mind newcomers arrive here in. It came to mind again when I got home today and logged on. I don't ever want to forget it.

Being in jail brought back memories of just how fragile I was back then... and just how fragile I can become again. I don't want to underestimate just how powerful hearing "I'm here, you aren't alone" can be in the moment.

I was in a pod with 40 other males. Every single case alcohol or drug use was - IMHO - either the root cause or very much a player in why people were there. Sadly, I left thinking there were probably only 1 or 2 who were serious about trying to get clean. And of those I could see how scared they were about it, how uncertain they were... especially in those conditions.

The scale and enormity of the damage drugs and alcohol do to people has been in my face on several occasions over the last 6 months - not to mention my own situation. I hope in the future I can contribute and do something to help someone. And again, that's not just charity or wanting to help, I see very clearly now it's necessary in my own recovery so that I never, ever forget or take for granted how quickly my life will become unmanageable should I ever let my guard down.

-B
Old 08-14-2018, 01:15 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
under new management

Buckley, you have an amazing story!

Just sharing here has been enormously helpful already

Thank you
Old 08-14-2018, 02:02 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Not exactly a happy ending, but close. Very proud of you for facing up to everything with a positive attitude.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:31 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Buckley3 View Post
Wow. Thanks so much all.

I just opened this up after receiving a text from my boss saying 'know that we are behind you' and a phone call from my best friend who is picking me up in the morning and taking me to court.

I am so incredibly grateful for my friends and inner circle - including SR.

I'm ready. I've placed myself in the best possible situation I can. I feel good about the changes I've made and the work I've done. I left it all on the field as they say. I'll be glad to have something concrete to work from after tomorrow morning.

I'll post when I can.

Onward. Time to remove the 600 pound gorilla from the room.

Thank you SR peeps. I have no words to express my gratitude.

-B
You are sooo lucky Buckley. As I was reading you entire post/responses, I realize how amazing your attitude is. You my friend will be A-ok, especially after you completely your 7 months (hopefully less for the behavior part). I definitely want to continue reading positive things from you. I too had a very bad experience a few years back, I got a DWI and was still on active duty military and they have zero tolerance. I fought both in the civilian and uniform side and many times I felt like giving up because I felt like I deserved the punishment for my poor decision and lack of character. Anyway, I am glad you’re alive and that I can read such wonderful posts by you. Keep the positive light bright 🤗
Old 02-10-2021, 09:27 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I’m ‘bumping” this thread. I remember all these posts, and so glad for a happy outcome!

you are inspirational to many, and now to think you have THREE YEARS! Over a THOUSAND DAYS! Educating and exploring several ways to be supported. AA, AVRT, SR. coworkers. Employer.

thank you!