Notices

About to hit 100 days...what?

Old 07-31-2018, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

About to hit 100 days...what?

I haven't posted here in a while but do lurk from time to time. When I first started trying to get sober a few years ago, SR was a huge help for me. The aspect of community can't be understated.

I was never a daily drinker and could even white knuckle myself to moderating my intake more than half the time I drank. However, no matter how long I was able to moderate for, an epic binge would always occur. Binges mostly consisted of me isolating myself for a night and drinking 20+ servings of alcohol. All while chain smoking butts (i hate cigarettes while sober) listening to music on my head phones and stomping around my house like a mad man. Dancing, shadow boxing, signing, acting out scenes from movies - i'm pretty sure the binges sent me in to a state of acute psychosis. It was wild and scary.

The aftermath of these binges were devastating. I was literally poisoned. I couldn't get out of bed, eat or think straight. Chest pain, shortness of bread, nausea and flank pain. The mental agony was also off the charts. I usually wouldn't start feeling normal again until 4 or 5 days after. I could write a book filled with hellish hangover stories. Like missing loved ones funerals or almost collapsing during crucial career presentations.

Quitting has created so many positive changes. I've lost weight, look like a new man and i'm in control of my life. Maybe the most important thing is that I don't have any fear of the future. Whatever comes my way, i'll be able to handle it. When i was drinking, I had lots of anxiety and worry.

I want to let folks know that no matter what your going through, you can beat this thing. Being part of a community has been huge for me and also putting my sobriety first. Meaning saying flat out no to things that would put me in situations where i'd be pressured to drink. Thanks to SR and all the great people here. I'll always be hanging around!!!
Old 07-31-2018, 06:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
p***enger

Congratulations, omnicare! We stand (not stagger) together
Old 07-31-2018, 06:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very nice post and congratulations!
Old 07-31-2018, 06:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

congratulations!
Old 07-31-2018, 07:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Beautiful stuff. I'm experiencing much of the same things in sobriety. The lack of fear is something that I want to highlight as well. Sure, life is fraught with difficulties. But everything is so much more doable and endurable and, to be honest, awesome when we are sober. A big congrats!
Old 07-31-2018, 07:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Triple digits!!! Congrats
Old 07-31-2018, 08:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Reminds me of what I used to do. I was never a daily drinker either but man I would have epic binges. 1000 sober days will be here before you know it.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
sober style

Triple figures, that's awesome!
Old 07-31-2018, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

wow congratulations Omnicare

D