Notices

Overwhelm, pain and shut it off

Old 07-30-2018, 10:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Overwhelm, pain and shut it off

Do you ever feel so overwhelmed with pain and overthinking? I can't sleep at night either at the minute. I am a processor and my brain is constantly on the go 😭 When I get like this I feel so tired of fighting everything, I want a break from being strong. I want to drown out the noise in my head or shut it off entirely. I want to reach for a beer and a fag and kick back and avoid dealing with all the stress and hurt for just one evening ( and yes I can stop at one evening) I know it won't take the pain away, but I'm on a waiting list for counselling. I know it's coming and I know patience is important, but I so want a break from it all 😭
Old 07-30-2018, 10:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Starsabove! I can relate to how you feel very much. I often feel like that myself. But you can learn to accept those feelings, even though it is hard and painful. There will be better times again and often they come sooner than we think.
Unfortunately, every time we choose the easy way and take a "break" from those feelings, it'll be even harder to sit with them the next time. Try what you can to make the situation as comfortable for you as possible, be nice to yourself but don't escape it.
I'm feeling with you and sending you lots of strength. Together we can do this!
Old 07-30-2018, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kevlarsjal2 View Post
Hi Starsabove! I can relate to how you feel very much. I often feel like that myself. But you can learn to accept those feelings, even though it is hard and painful. There will be better times again and often they come sooner than we think.
Unfortunately, every time we choose the easy way and take a "break" from those feelings, it'll be even harder to sit with them the next time. Try what you can to make the situation as comfortable for you as possible, be nice to yourself but don't escape it.
I'm feeling with you and sending you lots of strength. Together we can do this!
Thank you for your kind words. Often a nice bath and some music helps calm the mind a little. I think because it promotes some mindfulness. But I think you are right, alcohol would be a quick fix to escape it. I guess facing it takes away its power and hold. But I feel like it's so many emotions I can't handle... But I can, because I've been here before.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Starsabove32 View Post
Thank you for your kind words. Often a nice bath and some music helps calm the mind a little. I think because it promotes some mindfulness. But I think you are right, alcohol would be a quick fix to escape it. I guess facing it takes away its power and hold. But I feel like it's so many emotions I can't handle... But I can, because I've been here before.
I often feel overwhelmed by the amount or intensity of my emotions too, like I'm drowning in them. I found a really good meditation that helped me a lot to cope better with intense emotions. It's called the "ride the wild horse mindfulness meditation" (here's a link, it's completely free https://www.helpguide.org/emotional-.../step-four.htm )
And remember that we are always stronger than we think we are, just keep going, no matter what, and you'll get through it. The human mind is so powerful if we use it in the right ways