Notices

medical detox for alcohol

Old 07-30-2018, 03:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

medical detox for alcohol

It is often recommended on this forum not to attempt alcohol withdrawal at home, but to do medical detox. Is it medical advice to tell us how to get to medical detox? Do you just walk into the ER? Do you have to call one of those fancy websites that advertises detox? Another bit of advice is to call your doctor. What if you have no doctor? It would be nice to hear other people's stories of how they got to medical detox and also how long it took. I am in the US,
Old 07-30-2018, 03:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey, obrnmw. Most places in the US have detox facilities run by city or county.
I went to a detox run by the county in Florida where I live and they have fees based on ability to pay--you can be broke and go there. I just called them and was told when to come in. It was a clean, safe facility and everyone working there was kind. AA/NA meetings were available. I only spent two days there before having a seizure and was transferred to hospital where I spent a week before going to inpatient rehab for two months.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

I have been to hospital three times for medical detox. Just walked in or called an ambulance. Call for help, professionals will get you to the right place.