Blogs

Notices

10 weeks sober and feel “weird”

Old 07-29-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

10 weeks sober and feel “weird”

Okay, so I’ve made it 10 weeks and have ZERO desire to drink, I can’t stand the thought of alcohol!! And after week 1 of sobriety, I started feeling better, less anxiety, sleeping better, more energy etc. However, the last week or so, I have been feeling paranoid and suffering from the health anxiety I had in the beginning to where it’s on my mind constantly and I’m started to wonder if I’m having psychosomatic symptoms because of course I’ve ran to Dr. Google a few times🙄 For one thing, a few months back, I hurt my right shoulder at work and it hurt off and on for a month. Now it seems to be hurting again and I think it is due to liver damage ugh!! I’m constantly checking my eyes even though they are bright white, but I imagine there is a spot of yellow. I also feel “twinges” in my right side after Dr. Google! I felt great, so if my liver was screwed, why would I start getting “symptoms” over 2 months of staying sober?? I’ve also adopted a vegan lifestyle for the last 5 weeks so not sure what is going on!! Is this common? I abused alcohol on and off for 14 years, only taking breaks during my 2 pregnancies. I was a binge drinker, getting drunk 2-3 days a week towards the end, but I always liked to party when I was younger! The thought of having liver disease at 35 years old scares me and I think that is why I’m imagining “symptoms” all of a sudden!! I know I need to get a checkup, but need to save some money. Can anyone else relate? Is this an anxiety thing? Is this common in recovery?? When I was drinking, I never really thought about my liver, now I’m obsessed with it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AmbyMarie For This Useful Post:
Anna (07-30-2018), Gerard52 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Amby,

I think you know that the worst thing you can do for yourself is obsess over what you find on Google!! Of course it is a great resource, but you're just driving yourself crazy. I was a terrible binge drinker as well, and went through withdrawal multiple times. In the days following the last drink, as withdrawal would go up and down making me feel awful, I would google my symptoms. Much of what I found was totally inconclusive. Example: I used to get horrible dry mouth after binging as well as slight overgrowth of candida on my tongue (coated tongue). This particular symptom can be anything from simple candida overgrowth to the flu to strep throat to literally AIDS!! So don't give in to the urge to diagnose yourself. You're obviously smarter than that.

I think it should be a priority to get a checkup. Checking your liver requires a simple blood test, and there are usually ways to have your employer pay for it or through a GP; have you researched these avenues? Just get the darn checkup! You're probably fine, and the symtpoms you've mentioned are likely due to your diet change (veganism does take its toll on the body, and not always in a good way).

Be brave
The Following User Says Thank You to VigilanceNow For This Useful Post:
Ladysadie (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on ten weeks sober! Don't diagnose yourself! It will only cause you stress. If you have any symptoms, get them checked out by a doctor.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

congrats on 10 weeks! early sobriety is a rollercoaster of emotions and feelings.
The Following User Says Thank You to tekink For This Useful Post:
August252015 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awh - I feel your pain AmbyMarie, I suffer terrible from Health Anxiety and have self diagnosed myself numerous times, then headed off to the Dr, absolutely convinced I was dying with some disease or another - only to be told it was nothing like what I thought it was and most of it was going on in my head. It's horrible ……

A quick check up would put your mind at rest.
Huge congratulations on 10 weeks xxx
The Following User Says Thank You to ShenzyT For This Useful Post:
DarklingSong (07-30-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 02:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 10 weeks AmbyMarie.

I also had health anxiety - it didn't seem possible to me I'd drunk that much and escaped addiction without a whole list of terminal conditions...but I did.

Seeing my doctor and having a full check up put me at ease

D
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
DarklingSong (07-30-2018), ShenzyT (07-31-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 02:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your responses!! You guys are the best! This site has been amazing for me!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AmbyMarie For This Useful Post:
ShenzyT (07-29-2018), tekink (07-31-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 02:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So, you need to save some money and don't want to go to the doc. The way this is nagging on you, you'll be there sooner or later....trust me. The whole Dr. Google thing and worrying about it will drive you to serious "symptoms" and anxiety like you've never felt before. Been there done that.

Eighteen or so years ago, I did the Dr. Google thing when I started feeling pressure in my rib area. And I had itching. Could of sworn I had yellow eyes. Went into the doc. But not before two ER room visits just sure I was having a heart attack. The 2nd time I went into the ER they ran tests, and then I was quite rudely told by the doc to stop coming in, that the ER was a place for people with real medical emergencies. I was so pizzed. How dare he? I just "knew" I had serious issues, was nearing my death bed, and he did not have a clue. I left and went home to possibly die.

Told my regular doc my concerns. He did a physical check up. No concerns there. Ran blood tests. No concerns there. At my insistence after these hellish symptoms for months, he finally did an ultrasound. And said he'd see about a liver biopsy (at my request....I was that far gone with worry).

The results? Liver function tests all normal. All blood tests normal. Mildy fatty liver. He told me to cut back. Already had been at zero for a month or so, and the experience kept me almost completely alcohol free for 8 years, with the occasional few beers for a few years after that.

Now, years later I know (due to non-panicked research) and from previous experience, what I'd recently been experiencing again is a flare up of the fatty liver, and withdrawls (itching). Put on some weight, and started indulging far too much with the booze. A double whammy for fatty liver. So I put the alcohol down again. And over two weeks in this time, symptoms have all but left. I'll go get some LFT's done in a few weeks to ease my mind.

I relay the above experience because I'd been where you seem to be headed, and it was not a pleasant experience to say the least. Almost all of it mentally caused because of Dr. Google. Had myself convinced I had only months / couple years best case to live, and nobody...not the doctor or anyone else was going to tell me different. If I could have made a deal with the devil back then to just give me 5 more good years, I would have.

Well, 20 years or so later, here I am. Last LFT's I had just over a year ago all good, and healthy as a horse according to the doc.

If you are very concerned and need to put your mind at ease a little bit before you go see a doc, check into "Private MD Labs". You can get a liver function panel done for $30, and they'll email you the results. You should see a doc, but at a minimum, at least get some blood drawn to verify if you may or may not have an issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to danrs64 For This Useful Post:
ShenzyT (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 07:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think health anxiety must be something a lot of us have in early sobriety. I see people posting various "issues" they are having after first stopping and issues on into post acute withdrawal. I'm sitting at five months. I could swear up and down that I have a bad heart. However every test I get comes back normal. Anxiety can really run and ruin a person's life.

I see lots of good advice on the boards about getting a handle on paws and anxiety. Time is one of the big factors. The farther we get away from that last drink the better its supposed to get. Just keep plugging away and it'll get better. Hopefully you find your light at the end of the tunnel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin61571 For This Useful Post:
ShenzyT (07-31-2018), tekink (07-31-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 09:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Please ignore Dr. Google - S/he should have been struck off years ago. I read that a lot of it is put there by the Pharma companies, to worry people into buying medicines etc. Sounds more than likely.
It could also be the old AV trying to give you reasons to drink - again, just ignore it
Well done on 10 weeks - it keeps getting better so just ride the wave for now and keep posting
The Following User Says Thank You to Zanna For This Useful Post:
ShenzyT (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 10:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AmbyMarie View Post
Okay, so I’ve made it 10 weeks and have ZERO desire to drink, I can’t stand the thought of alcohol!! And after week 1 of sobriety, I started feeling better, less anxiety, sleeping better, more energy etc. However, the last week or so, I have been feeling paranoid and suffering from the health anxiety I had in the beginning to where it’s on my mind constantly and I’m started to wonder if I’m having psychosomatic symptoms because of course I’ve ran to Dr. Google a few times🙄 For one thing, a few months back, I hurt my right shoulder at work and it hurt off and on for a month. Now it seems to be hurting again and I think it is due to liver damage ugh!! I’m constantly checking my eyes even though they are bright white, but I imagine there is a spot of yellow. I also feel “twinges” in my right side after Dr. Google! I felt great, so if my liver was screwed, why would I start getting “symptoms” over 2 months of staying sober?? I’ve also adopted a vegan lifestyle for the last 5 weeks so not sure what is going on!! Is this common? I abused alcohol on and off for 14 years, only taking breaks during my 2 pregnancies. I was a binge drinker, getting drunk 2-3 days a week towards the end, but I always liked to party when I was younger! The thought of having liver disease at 35 years old scares me and I think that is why I’m imagining “symptoms” all of a sudden!! I know I need to get a checkup, but need to save some money. Can anyone else relate? Is this an anxiety thing? Is this common in recovery?? When I was drinking, I never really thought about my liver, now I’m obsessed with it!
I am NOT a doctor, but I do love to play doctor, so here goes...

1) Is any of your anxiety have anything to do with LeBron going to another team? If no, then...

2) Don't assume being a vegetarian can automatically fix everything. Being a veg can be tricky. There are 20 different amino acids the body requires for health and it manufactures 11 of them. The other 9 you need to get from your diet. If your veg diet isn't properly varied enough, you can have health issues. And I'm not even going to go into vitamin requirements for good health. Amino acids are just the basic building blocks for life.

3) Remember one very important thing... the liver can repair itself. The longer you don't drink, the better it will get, especially at your young age. Sure, you'll feel a twinge here and a tweak there, but detox is never easy and is often accompanied by a small amount of discomfort.

4) As a former psychology student, I can tell you that self-diagnosis is not the way to go. Tell Dr Google to screw itself.

5) Mentally speaking, if you can latch on to whatever made you stop drinking during your 2 pregnancies, you should do so. When it comes to addiction, having someone(s) to be sober for can help.

That's it... the doctor is out, lol!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KarltheheretiK For This Useful Post:
Gerard52 (07-30-2018), ShenzyT (07-29-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 12:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I too have anxiety about my health and also can run down the Dr Google rabbit hole. In your case you are feeling better have more energy after a week. This points to recovery. The liver is the only organ in the body that can regenerate.

At end of the day the only treatment to reverse and stop continued damage is not to drink. Increasingly more and more health problems are being directly attributed to alcohol. In UK they slashed number of units for men from 28 to 14 in recent years. They didn't do that for no reason.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gerard52 For This Useful Post:
KarltheheretiK (07-30-2018), ShenzyT (07-31-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 10:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Have you read the article on PAWS? Might be worth having a read... https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/
The Following User Says Thank You to Berrybean For This Useful Post:
August252015 (07-31-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 10:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So glad i read your post! Oh yes, i just got through going for a dr visit, ultrasound, endocrinologst visit..thought i had cancer..worst almost 2 weeks of my life in awhile..had the worst anxiety, crying, etc. Had a whole list of symptoms for the endocrinologst..well i dont have cancer, he didnt think im starting early perimenapause..he said he thinks it my body getting used to no alcohol..post acute alcohol withdraw is what that sounded like..he did have a few tests he wants to run..one for thyroid, one for adrenal fatigue, and he said we can throw in hormone test..well i can say this....after he told me i didnt have cancer, i felt about a million times better! Yes i have crappy insurance and the visit was expensive..but.for piece of mind, well worth it!! You are going to drive yourself nuts googling everything. I think maybe we numb ourselves with booze for so long, we forget we may very well have aches and pains that are totally normal! I began exercising every day..it really does help with well, alot! Have you looked around for cheap clinics? My regular dr i pay cash for and its $75.00..the way i see it, i say so much money by not drinking alcohol..at 10 weeks i felt weird too...and now with month 8, things are slowly improving. Stick with it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sobriety2018 For This Useful Post:
Gerard52 (07-30-2018), ShenzyT (07-31-2018)