Notices

Ghost hangover feeling? Anyone related?

Old 07-29-2018, 02:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ghost hangover feeling? Anyone related?

Hey there guys,

I know this might feel weird but I really do feel it. I am a binge drinker, mostly in weekends. Since I started to try quitting, when it comes the weekend and I wake up, both Saturdays and sundays, I feel some sort of hangover and guilt feeling (without having to drink) which is so weird and uncomfortable.

Does anyone relate to this and knows when it goes away? Does it go away?

Wonderful Sunday for everyone.

Hope
Old 07-29-2018, 02:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

It could be that you aren't getting the right kind of sleep. Alcohol disturbs our brains and it needs time to recover from the chemical damage alcohol does to our body.
It should take a few weeks of sobriety to get a good night's rest. I am still trying to ease my nerves with suppliments after 7 months sober.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

2 weeks sober for me today and woke up feeling hangover. Strange for me too.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I went through an awful lot and for awhile after I quit, and remember the feeling you describe. Staying sober was the only way to get through it. I thought of it as all the alcohol rolling out of my body from head to toe, working through damage I had done and what I needed to heal. Water, eating well, naps as sleep was challenging....all important physical stuff at the beginning and now.

Keep going.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey guys thanks for the replies.

So you would recommend exercise to cope with these uncomfortable feelings? I did went to play ball for a while today.

But I was feeling so guilty and I couldn't understand why. Dont get me wrong, I feel better than if I was hangover, but still I feel sort of scared. It's been one week mostly.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Exercise is great. For me, it was eventually something I added to my fundamental recovery program, not a primary way to handle emotions or live in recovery.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I posted recently about feeling flat and washed out (kinda like after the worst part of a hangover has passed) this past week. My thought is that our liver is doing what it's made to do, detox. Since we used to keep it so busy processing the alcohol we threw at it when we were drinking, now that we're not, it's working overtime to get the crap out of our system. Drinking water. Eating healthy but lightly. Naps. Resting. A little physical exercise. Giving yourself permission to be lazy on the weekends. All those help me. Good luck to you! We'll feel better soon!
Old 07-29-2018, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Exercise, eating healthy, lots of water and sleep is all very important. I worked with a therapist for a while too. I felt guilt also and the therapy helped me work through that. Part of my guilt was recalling things I had done while drunk, feeling like a loser that I became an alcoholic, and feeling like I let others down. I did have ghost hangover sometimes too and I think it may have been related to lack of sleep as others describe. But I also had terrible relapse nightmares and sometimes the guilt came from waking up from these nightmares. Keep going and you will start to feel better!
Old 07-29-2018, 11:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have had a few of those. For me, likely culprit was either dehydration or too much sugar the night before.

I got those two issues in check and haven't had a phantom hangover in a while.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm over five months sober and I still wake up with really bad hangover fog. Another neat little item that didn't manifest itself int I quit is the ear ringing/buzzing when I wake up. Sometimes at night too. Oh and really scary irregular heart beats. Those didn't appear until after I quit.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I haven't had this exact feeling yet, but I used to binge drink mostly on weekends or my nights off work too. It was never an every day thing for me, but it's unmanageable in it's own way and ruined a lot of things for me so I decided it was time to stop 5 days ago... so I'm not far at all into my sobriety. BUT on and off throughout the last five days I burp (TMI maybe, but I'm not usually a burper) - and it was feel like the way my mouth would taste after being sick with a hangover, mixture of stomach acid and alcohol. I get really anxious when it happens because I can't tell if it's really there or in my head, I don't like the reminder of my binges. But I take a deep breath, think positive thoughts and move on from it. It's been working so far. You can get through these nasty feelings and thoughts! Thank you for sharing!
Old 08-03-2018, 04:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rar

Sometimes I still wake up feeling hung over, but as ChloeRose mentioned, it could be (or in my case) is the result of quality of sleep. I am still in the habit of mentally revisiting and examining my actions or words from the night before. Even though I am sober, I still think and worry about things.