SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Neurologist appointment tomorrow (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/430623-neurologist-appointment-tomorrow.html)

sweetichick 07-29-2018 01:38 AM

Neurologist appointment tomorrow

I have an appointment tomorrow to look at my walking and balance problems. I'm a bit scared about bad news or what damage I have done but guess it will take further testing.

Dee74 07-29-2018 01:39 AM

Best wishes sweetichick :)

D

Dustitoffman 07-29-2018 01:45 AM

I have everything crossed for you.

Hope all goes well!

Gerard52 07-29-2018 01:54 AM

Had my share of health scares over the years. So far nothing major touch wood. One thing I have learned is not to anticipate a bad result. The chances it will be nothing serious or if it is more serious then fixable. Never worry it doesn't help anything.

sweetichick 07-29-2018 02:05 AM

Thanks everyone.

tomsteve 07-29-2018 08:44 AM

PLEASE be honest with them about everything,sweeti.
and i hope youve been sober.

D122y 07-29-2018 09:11 AM

Sweet,

I was suffering from spatial dissorientation issues for at least 10 years. My addiction led me to ignore them until they progressed to a state i could longer ignore.

Now, i have ptsd from. The SD problem, but i am getting better.

What has helped me so far is not drinking and then practicing routine walking and running.

I am sure there is permanent brain damage that i have to adjust for. I am much much better.

I use this self caused damage as a reminder that booze is poison to me.

sweetichick 07-29-2018 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by D122y (Post 6968205)
Sweet,

I was suffering from spatial dissorientation issues for at least 10 years. My addiction led me to ignore them until they progressed to a state i could longer ignore.

Now, i have ptsd from. The SD problem, but i am getting better.

What has helped me so far is not drinking and then practicing routine walking and running.

I am sure there is permanent brain damage that i have to adjust for. I am much much better.

I use this self caused damage as a reminder that booze is poison to me.

That is encouraging that you are much better. That is what I am terrified of.. permanent brain damage. My local doctor picked up something on the CT scan but it was only minor. That was 18 months ago though.

Delilah1 07-30-2018 05:46 PM

How did your appointment go?

sweetichick 07-30-2018 10:52 PM

I had the w week. What an idiot. It's next Monday. Thanks for asking.

Dee74 07-30-2018 11:39 PM

Glad you didn't miss it, sweetichick :)

D

Anna 07-31-2018 11:48 AM

Good luck with the appointment, Sweetichick!

D122y 07-31-2018 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by sweetichick (Post 6968404)
That is encouraging that you are much better. That is what I am terrified of.. permanent brain damage. My local doctor picked up something on the CT scan but it was only minor. That was 18 months ago though.

Google alcoholic brain damage and select images.

I am confident, many of us hear (definitely me), have permanent irreversible brain damage.

I am donating my body to science when I die, and I am sure I will make for a nice lesson in alcohol induced brain damage indications.

Thanks.

Dee74 07-31-2018 03:53 PM

I've found nothing is final with the brain :)

I've had many falls, strokes, and all the associated alcohol related damage. It took several years but my mind is back working full capacity.

I've read that different parts of the brain can retrain themselves to take up the slack caused by neuroloigical damage.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/...itself/6406736

I believe it :)

D

matrac 07-31-2018 04:13 PM

Research on the subject suggests improvement over time, but the amount of time varies. Wishing you good health and good news

J50 07-31-2018 04:44 PM

Good luck, and in the meantime check out this video by Dr. Joe Dispenza.

https://youtu.be/FJFtQrn6zkY

MindfulMan 07-31-2018 05:36 PM

I went to my neurologist at about a year sober, expecting the usual "You're overthinking this, although Dr. Google posits terminal brain cancer, it's more likely something far more benign."

This time it was "Yes, you have some peripheral neuropathy, minor memory issues and some balance issues. PT for the balance. The rest MIGHT get better."

PT did help with the balance, it is better. I stopped taking a psych med for my BPD and my memory improved...which wasn't unexpected as this happened in 2005 when I discontinued it. The neuropathy hasn't gotten any worse and really doesn't affect me.

I was probably in the earliest stages of wet brain when I detoxed, so I'm not surprised that I didn't escape completely unscathed. I had a staggering gait and a lot of confusion. But it's gotten a bit better, and nothing I can't live with.

Battle wounds, that's all. I thought I'd be more devastated.

Good luck on Monday Sweetie.

sweetichick 08-02-2018 03:46 PM

Thanks Mindful. That was really helpful. What's PT?

biminiblue 08-02-2018 04:05 PM

I think it's Physical Therapy, sweetichick - or physiotherapy maybe it's called in AU. That would be my guess, as that would help with balance. We call it Physical Therapy, PT here in the States.

sweetichick 08-02-2018 04:12 PM

Thanks Bimini.