Notices

Hello - looking for help

Old 07-29-2018, 01:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello - looking for help

Hi everyone. I’ve lurked around the site for ages and posted a few times in July 2018 thread. Had 6 days sober early in July and am now going again. I am trying not to count days but if it helps others put my journey in context my last drink was 23 July.

I’ve been a heavy drinker 20 years, since age 18, daily and more heavily for ten. In past 13 months I’ve had professional support and cut back a few days a week in order to prepare me physically, and so withdrawals have not been too bad. But I’ve got a record of not getting past two weeks and this scares me

I have a daily plan and have learned a lot from this site. Main parts of each days plan:

Don’t drink alcohol (quite an important part I’ll admit &#128514
Exercise through walking
Meditate for 5 minutes
Try to turn my anger and resentment into prayer and gratitude. I find this really hard but have just decided to practice it and hope it gets better.
Try to improve myself daily.

The last one - I’ve been through AA for a spell in my mid 20’s and been to counselling and alcohol services but the penny has only just dropped that not drinking is not enough. I may be really stupid but it hadn’t!

I have not lost everything but come pretty close and my body is in a bit of a state

I need help for the days when my head tells me to drink. From experience I know I can’t beat that alone and so daily help from here would be appreciated

Thanks
Old 07-29-2018, 01:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Glad you are here. Keep posting on your progress. Check into the 24 hour thread and commit to 24 hours of sobriety each day. It really helps to be accountable.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! Early sobriety is a very hard thing to do. It was for me. I didn't ask too much from myself just get through another day. If I had a rough day I knew that tomorrow would probably be better. It gets easier and is so worth the effort! Best wishes for you on your journey.