Notices

need support In Brooklyn✨

Old 07-28-2018, 06:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question need support In Brooklyn✨

Hi

I just returned from rehab in Florida I was there for 70 days and made such a wonderful support group of friends in recovery.
I wish I could have stayed however all good things must come to an end and I’m back to reality in NY,

I need to find new friends as all my old ones are currently still active I can’t seem to find an aa group that’s popin, I don’t know where to begin and I feel like all hope is lost.

It’s hard for me to make friends as is and now with out alcohol it’s even more of a challenge, I wish I could have brought all my friends from Florida back home with me !
Old 07-28-2018, 06:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Moving is always stressful. I hope that you can find a recovery group that works for you. Volunteer work in your community is also a good way to meet new people and to give back to others.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Call the local AA office and talk to them about what you're looking for.

https://www.brooklynintergroup.org/
Old 07-29-2018, 01:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sober style

Hi Boojeanie!
Old 07-29-2018, 01:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Hi and welcome to SR. You will find alot of support here. Hope is not lost. Keep looking for what you need to stay sober and stay away from what will take you back down the wrong path! Keep posting!
Old 07-29-2018, 01:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

New Beginnings!

So exiting. Keep posting there are always people on SR there for each other. It's a great forum.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

good on ya for going to rehab!
ya know, theres a good possibility that you will find friends in aa, but ya just have to give it time. you said its hard for you to make make friends as is, so maybe ya have to give it time. listen at meetings for people you relate to( preferrably people with solid recovery.give it time- firendships typically dont happen automatically- theyre built up over time. when ya hear people you relate to, get their number and call them. go out for coffee before or after meetings.
and the number 1 priority- dont drink. it would be wise to make your motive for going to aa to remain sober,learn how the program works in every day life, how the program helps with underlying issues, and learn how to live life on lifes terms.

ive been sober a few years now and can count on one hand how many true friends i have. those friendships took time to develop.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR boojeanie

D
Old 07-29-2018, 05:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome boojeanie. Were your Florida friends rehab friends? Though it might not be F2F, your friendships can continue with texting, emails or social media. I am in Florida and regularly communicate with my NY friends and former colleagues. I am slowly making friends here too.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

I moved recently to a place where I knew nobody. It’s been hard, I’m 50 and it’s not like college days when friends seemed to come easily (of course lots of booze was involved). I once read a quote that, “loneliness is an invitation to respond to the world” - maybe a bit hokey, but for me I figure just go out in the world, ditch my ego and focus on being a good person to others. I can’t contol who likes me, but I can control being kind to others. The rest will flow.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
good on ya for going to rehab!
ya know, theres a good possibility that you will find friends in aa, but ya just have to give it time. you said its hard for you to make make friends as is, so maybe ya have to give it time. listen at meetings for people you relate to( preferrably people with solid recovery.give it time- firendships typically dont happen automatically- theyre built up over time. when ya hear people you relate to, get their number and call them. go out for coffee before or after meetings.
and the number 1 priority- dont drink. it would be wise to make your motive for going to aa to remain sober,learn how the program works in every day life, how the program helps with underlying issues, and learn how to live life on lifes terms.

ive been sober a few years now and can count on one hand how many true friends i have. those friendships took time to develop.

Thank you for the advice.. I’m going to continue going to different meetings until I find a strong home goup and hopefully all will fall into place!
Old 07-29-2018, 09:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
Welcome boojeanie. Were your Florida friends rehab friends? Though it might not be F2F, your friendships can continue with texting, emails or social media. I am in Florida and regularly communicate with my NY friends and former colleagues. I am slowly making friends here too.
I was in West Palm beach and I will continue my friendship with them it just that I had so much things/activity we did together sober. I tend to get bored quickly and all my friends in NY drink soo hopefully all will fall into place