Notices

Relapse Dreams- ARGH!

Old 07-27-2018, 09:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse Dreams- ARGH!

Does anyone else have these ? They are so unsettling to me. I get two versions of these.

The first I am drunk but I really don’t remember even taking one drink! I feel like I didn’t really relapse because for the life of me I have no recollection of intentionally taking a drink. But yet I know I somehow did because I am inebriated. Ugh!

In the second version, I am actively relapsing. Last night I dreampt that I had somehow gotten a box of beer (lol- don’t even think that exists). I was at my grandparents’ house (they passed away eons ago). I was telling myself that drinking beer is better than wine. Then I go to dispense and realize it’s indeed wine. I am simultaneously happy and worried as wine was my go-to beverage. I realize I need a better mug to hide it in, so I sneak it into a mug in the kitchen. I take my first sip and my daughter walks in. I am worried I will get caught. I feel horribly guilty but just tell myself that I will only have this one glass and it will be okay. But I know full well I will drink the entire box. I even think about the awful hangover I will have!

I am so tired of these dreams. They are really unsettling. I woke up going “THANK GOD that was only a dream!” I tend to dream about things I worry about.

Does anyone else experience this and what do you make of it?
Old 07-27-2018, 10:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I did early on. Like everything else, these too shall pass.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I have. Happy to be sober when they end, every time.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've had similar dreams, and the longer I'm sober, the less frequent they become. Funny enough, that feeling of hiding my drinking in a dream actually serves as a good reminder, since it never feels like a positive!
Old 07-27-2018, 08:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

They're very common. Some folks attach a whole lot of subconscious meaning to them - I didn't.

I dreamt about high school for years after I left - didn't mean I wanted to go back there

D
Old 07-27-2018, 11:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your responses. Dee- I agree with you. I think it’s just a fear of mine. I can say it certainly doesn’t mean I want to drink! Just the opposite, in fact.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I quit smoking 14 years ago and still, albeit rarely, have dreams where I am smoking. I'm always so relieved it was just a dream when I wake up. I don't have dreams where I am drinking though for some reason.