Notices

Pain and cravings

Old 07-24-2018, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pain and cravings

My cravings have gone through the roof since uncovering things recently (see my last post). I'm really fighting because I want to run away from the severe emotional pain (drown it out, not live anymore) but I also want to face it now so that I can push through it. There's a real battle going on inside right now.....

I've been assessed for therapy for this issue, and the assessment has opened the whole box up.... But the support isn't coming (in the form of therapy) for another 8 weeks.... That scares me a lot. The waiting.... The processing...
Old 07-24-2018, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is the hard part of recovery, in my opinion. I had to look at so many painful issues from my early life. My beliefs about myself were shaken to the core. My advice is to hang on and have faith in the process. It may take some time but you will find your way through.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
This is the hard part of recovery, in my opinion. I had to look at so many painful issues from my early life. My beliefs about myself were shaken to the core. My advice is to hang on and have faith in the process. It may take some time but you will find your way through.
Thanks Anna. I guess its battle on through and live through the pain, or block it out with alcohol and be miserable forever :'(
Old 07-24-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
under new management

Oh my dear

I know how hard it is to wait for help when you feel like you can't make it one more day.

Please hang on and have faith, to echo Anna.

Are there any self care things that you can do in the meantime? Meditation, yoga, exercise, walking, nature, art of any kind? I hope you can find a way to treat yourself with gentleness and love

Please don't drink

Stick around SR instead
Old 07-24-2018, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2ndhandrose View Post
Oh my dear

I know how hard it is to wait for help when you feel like you can't make it one more day.

Please hang on and have faith, to echo Anna.

Are there any self care things that you can do in the meantime? Meditation, yoga, exercise, walking, nature, art of any kind? I hope you can find a way to treat yourself with gentleness and love

Please don't drink

Stick around SR instead

Yes thanks. I do all these things especially the nature part I do try my best but sometimes it doesn't seem enough. But I'll keep on trying. Alcohol would definitely slow the process of healing down
Old 07-24-2018, 05:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I foind support really helps with emotional pain - and there's a lot of support here.

When emotional pain threatened to swamp me I'd just remember that I was stronger than any memory - that was then and this is now and I'd carried that baggage for long enough.

If you're really having a bad time of it I suggest looking at urge surfing
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...e-surfing.html (urge surfing)

and I'm not trying to trivialise the terrible things that happened, but you might get something from this

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...g-rabbits.html (Fear - Lessons Learned from Running Rabbits)

D

Last edited by Dee74; 07-24-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I would drink at "things", it only prolonged facing my reality/now. It was comforting to 'hide',but no one can hide forever. With some meetings and here I was able to formulate a pretty solid plan to work through the pains of the past. Hang in there.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

My exprience ahs been that issues, even painful ones, are a seperate thing to alcoholism, and need to be handled differently. I had some good days in my drinking where everything seemed to be going well, felt good etc etc, and I drank.

Yet I have had incredibly painful times in sobriety (they happen to everyone) where it has not occured to me to drink. Instead it occurred to me to get help appropriate to the issue.

The pain is the pain, and the cravings are coming from the idea that alcohol is the solution to the pain which is itself a product of the alcholic mind. Untretaed alcoholism is behind the craving, not the pain.

On the other hand, I guess if you were a self medicator using alcohol to treat a particular condition, then getting the right treatment for the condition would eliminate the need for alcohol. Problem solved.