Notices

Hangover Hunger

Old 07-24-2018, 07:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I can completely relate to this! I would eat whatever sounded good, and it was mostly crap and odd combinations (milk chocolate covered cashews and bleu cheese stuffed olives were morning favorites...what the...?) I also started drinking earlier in the day, especially beer, to "cure" my hangover. UGH.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

On the path of a big bender, I'd also go for more alcohol upon waking . At the liquor store just before opening meant I'd drive around the neighborhood, so I'd not be one of "those" people waiting for the door to be unlocked.. Not sure why I thought I was fooling anyone other than myself. Food never entered my head until I was ready to black out.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

This is directly related to what made me finally decide to stop this week.

I drank every night, not to oblivion but a fair amount and would be rougher some morning but it was getting bad. I started wanting that first drink after work so bad that I would want to leave work early to get it. I didn't as a general rule but really wanted to.

Then last week a friend and I went on a little roadtrip, and of course what were the stops along the way? Breweries, pubs etc. It was a lot of fun in general but the drinking had got to the point that I would wake up wanting a drink. Before coffee, before breakfast just another drink "to take the edge off" and I really didn't feel well until I got it.

Well, as we were on vacation we had bloody marys with brunch most mornings or at least had opened a beer before noon and it just tore my stomach up. I was starving hungry but almost as soon as I'd eat I'd have use the restroom and wouldn't feel well until a couple more drinks.

That was just too much. I had been a functional alcoholic for years and was now losing the ability to function and more importantly my ability to hide the extent of my drinking. Something had to change.

So no we're four days in. The first few were pretty rough, as soon as I'd eat anything I could feel my stomach turn and new I couldn't get far from a restroom. That was pretty embarrassing.

Much better now, eating better so here's to that!
Old 07-27-2018, 07:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
When I was younger I experienced hangover hunger, but towards the end of my drinking days the last thing in the world I wanted in the morning was food. I craved alcohol.
This. The only way I could could get food down was to drink.!
Old 07-28-2018, 06:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Not only did I have hangover hunger, I had drinking hunger where I would snack on anything I could get my hands on probably because I wanted to slow down the effect the alcohol was having so I could drink more. This and the calories in alcohol probably explain why I've lost 15 pounds since I stopped five months ago.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I craved sugar in the mornings. I would down an entire glass of OJ at breakfast on weekends after a huge night of boozing. I would get shaky if I didn't drink something with sugar in it. I had not got to the stage of having to drink alcohol in the mornings but maybe my body was missing the sugar hits.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I could never hold anthing down. Even a beer would come back up. I would be afraid to eat in front of anyone because my hands would shake so bad. The first 2 days we nothing but dry heeves and a puffy dryed-out face with bloodshot eyes and me telliing eveyone "I think I have the flu"...ya, right!
As soon as I could eat it was yogert and bananas if I wouldn't gag on it! OMG...I can't go back to that place ever again....
Old 07-29-2018, 03:54 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I have a lot in common with people that say as they got older the food went and it was replaced by other stuff

It’s a major motivating factor for me. I don’t want those mornings of being sick and sweating and staying in bed fearing the day. Too many, too too many. Then getting a drink and looking at it poured for 20 minutes getting the resolve in my stomach to drink it

If I don’t drink today I don’t need to go back there
Old 07-29-2018, 04:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I totally had the hungry hangovers. After a bottle or 2 of wine the night before, I could quite easily polish off around 5000 cals The following day. Absolutely no idea why I could never stop eating, didn’t matter what I ate, it was never enough. It was horrendous. I’m 3 stone over weight, really surprised it’s not more. Looking forward to hopefully losing some weight & the puffy bloatednes. Xxx