Notices

Rehab or do it on my own?

Old 07-23-2018, 09:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Bunchie,

The important thing is finding the recovery path that works for you. If you feel going to rehab would help you get started then that's an excellent decision. Just make sure you leave there with a plan for continued recovery once you are finished.

You can defintiley take a medical leave of absence, they are not allowed to ask why you are out. If you have insurance you may be able to collect disability.

Good luck with everything!
Old 07-24-2018, 12:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Hi Bunchie,

The important thing is finding the recovery path that works for you. If you feel going to rehab would help you get started then that's an excellent decision. Just make sure you leave there with a plan for continued recovery once you are finished.

You can defintiley take a medical leave of absence, they are not allowed to ask why you are out. If you have insurance you may be able to collect disability.

Good luck with everything!
Thank you ,
I have very good insurance and FMLA should cover my paycheck, so I am going to check in on a rehab. Thank you , Delilia
Old 07-24-2018, 06:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I am currently in Rehab in Thailand coming to the end of a 60 day programme. I have learned a lot about addictive thinking and conditioning which doesn't just mean drinking thinking and getting your fix. Addictive thinking affects everything down to decisions you make not related to using, relationships, self esteem, connection and much more. I have also learned a bunch of tools that I can use to re-train my brain out of this auto-pilot thinking that always takes me back to a bottle.

Being away from home, no distractions, not cooking or worrying about the day to day grind has been a godsend. Also connecting with others that really understand what you are going through, that often say "I identify with that..I did that too!!" helps you feel you are not a crazy horrible selfish madperson, you're just ill and you are not alone.

If you can afford it, I would say do it just make sure you research the rehab and pick the right one for you.

Best of luck xx
Old 07-24-2018, 09:38 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Options include:

1. Medical detox
2. Inpatient rehab
3. Outpatient rehab

Each have their place. Obviously, medical detox is for people who are physiologically dependent on alcohol and need medications to get them out from the danger zone of seizures, delirium, or death. Medical detox usually lasts between 3 and 7 days, depending on how things go. There's usually not much in the way of psychological treatment, because people feel so terrible that it's really just about getting them physically well again from the withdrawal syndrome.

Inpatient rehab and outpatient rehab are where the psychological help comes in. These programs are often 4 weeks long, but can be longer or shorter. As I said on the previous page, rehab programs are about teaching you life skills for managing behaviors and making healthy choices, and reinforcing the life skills you already have. Plus there's usually a ton of education about alcohol and addiction. They can be really useful.

The inpatient versus outpatient distinction is important. Inpatient stays are more expensive, but can be helpful for people who really want to stop drinking but at the end of the day just can't. They can also be helpful for "getting away from it all" for a while, getting away from triggers and maybe getting some time away from complicated relationships. (And accordingly, some inpatient places are like full-on resorts, in beautiful locations with beautiful amenities. Hey, you get what you pay for.)

Outpatient rehab is great for people who can abstain long enough to complete treatment. At the end of the day you go home to your own bed... and to your own stressors and triggers.

As has been said before, rehab doesn't MAKE anyone stop drinking. (Even in an inpatient rehab, you can always just walk out the door.) The patient ultimately is the only one who can do the hard work of remaining abstinent. So rehab doesn't perform miracles. There's no psychological insight that will extinguish an addict's craving, for example. But they can top off the tank, as it were, when it comes to insight and skills. Rehab can give you skills for when the urge hits, and can help you feel empowered to make healthy choices.

Best wishes for a great outcome, whatever path you take.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Public service announcement:

FMLA is not a paid leave unless that's how your employer handles it. That would be very generous! FMLA is there to protect your job while you are out for your own or your family member's illness.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:05 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

People need to relax on this thread.
You need a solid recovery plan, AA is everywhere, all the time, and on your time. Hit up meetings daily.
The #1 thing you need is to want to be sober more than anything in life. Anything short of that is a pathway to failure.
If you feel rehab is what you feel will be that,
then absolutely go for it. Medical leaves are between you and your docs. Your employer has no grounds to interfere, unless they want to get sued.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I really don't want to tell work I will be in rehab. Any thoughts , appreciate it.

I didn't want to my employer either. And it turns out, I didn't need to.

I got sober through the combination of AA and logging on to this website everyday.

I've been sober now for over 8 years, so it seems to have worked.

And my employer will never know, since I have recently retired.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
I really don't want to tell work I will be in rehab. Any thoughts , appreciate it.

I didn't want to my employer either. And it turns out, I didn't need to.

I got sober through the combination of AA and logging on to this website everyday.

I've been sober now for over 8 years, so it seems to have worked.

And my employer will never know, since I have recently retired.
Congratulations on retirement, 7-8 years for me. Thank you for your reply