Notices

I Will Only Have a Few

Old 07-23-2018, 09:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Will Only Have a Few

I am new to the forum , and to seeking support . I always have good intentions with my drinking, just a couple and thats it. The problem is that a couple almost always leads to more , which leads to more. I am mainly a weekend drinker and am tired of spending my mondays, tuesdays and wednesdays trying to get feeling better, feeling good by Friday and then starting the whole cycle over again on Saturday. I don't remember alot of my weekends because i am so out of it. I am sick and tired of it, as I am sure my wife is too. I need some ideas and support.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2018, 10:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I understand that one

I am in the exact same boat. I netted out at me having an unhealthy relationship with alcohol. You’ll find awesome support here.

I hope you stay and live life with us!
Old 07-23-2018, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I spent a lot of time negotiating with myself about how many drinks I would have as well...however, the nights never played out like I thought they would. I was always the embarrassingly drunk hot mess with an angry hubby in tow. Weekend drinking turned into weeknight drinking and continued to progress. At the end, my drinking spiraled out of control quickly!

I knew for over a year that I had a serious problem but didn’t do anything about it except to become progressively drunker. 40 days ago I stopped drinking. I know the first drink is the first step back to alcoholic drinking.

Good luck to you!
Old 07-23-2018, 10:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck dude! I was a nightly beer drinker for 10 years and always tried to moderate, it never ended up working. I am new to this place as well and only 5 days in, but I wish you the best of luck. The people on this site are beyond wise and supportive. Wish you nothing but the best and just like me I am sure your wife will thank you.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! As you can see by my username, I was like you when I joined here. Days turned to months and I would have "flashes" of what happened,but not much else. I didn't take the advice I was given and continued drinking on/off for another couple years and ended up in court for a very high BAC DUI after crashing my truck into a concrete wall..anyways..the court sent me to AA for 3mo and after the first month I had found a new mindset towards my drinking..I'm coming up on 19mo(minus 1 night) and have really got my life back with one simple thing;no more drinking,not even one. "It's the first drink that gets you drunk."
Old 07-23-2018, 10:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, I have the same problem. Once I have a drink my body takes over and I cannot stop. It sets off a chemical reaction.

I am gratefully sober for 8 years and I love it. Freedom. No longer at the mercy of alcohol.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! That's the very same reason I had decided to stop drinking. I've always had good intentions right up until I've had a couple and then it led to having more and more. On 3 occasions I've woken up single and not remembering what happened.

Attend meetings, meet some new people, and try sobriety out for a year. And if you don't like the change you can always go back out.

Best wishes.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was in denial for so long... would always quit "tomorrow. Quit now before the problems get worse!
Old 07-23-2018, 01:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm the same. Chronic weekend binge drinker - you know, it does get worse, or it did for me. The three day hangover turns into days of intense fear and panick, insomnia and agitation. I've been sober for more than not this year and it's the difference is incredible. Try and find things that make sense to you and work for you. There is loads of info here. I find AVRT/Rational Recovery really helpful and meditation too. It's hard but totally worth it. Gabe x
Old 07-23-2018, 01:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I used to have that issue as well.

The solution for me was to never pick up that first drink, go to AA, come here and post, read the stories from 1 year plus, and be of service.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

If I had a dollar for every time I said 'if only I hadn't had that last drink' I'd be rich.

As others have said tho, I've learned it's the first drink starts the madness, not the last.

Don't take that first drink and there's no problem.

Simple yes - easy - not always.
But that's why places like SR exist

D
Old 07-23-2018, 05:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Pretty common scenario. I was in the same cycle. Towed the line all week, and rewarded myself on the weekends. The "reward" went away somewhere along the line and I got sick of it. Withdrawals, poor sleep, planning around drinking time, stomach and bathroom issues....it was a lot of work. One week I was thinking to myself how foolish and stupid this whole routine was. That's when my journey started.