SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   This will be my last day drinking - will stop starting tomorrow... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/430348-will-my-last-day-drinking-will-stop-starting-tomorrow.html)

Wayfarer 07-22-2018 10:03 AM

This will be my last day drinking - will stop starting tomorrow...

I'm new here, but I've been lurking for quite a while. I was a social drinker since college (33 now), but for the last two years I've been drinking anywhere from 8-12 shots worth of vodka every single night and typically I put that amount away with an hour or two max and then pass out.

I've tried to stop a few times, but it never lasts more than a couple days.

Like right now, I'm waiting to get my haircut and I'm eyeing up the liquor store across the street - planning how I'll sneak a 750ml bottle vodka past my wife when I get home.

Just about every Sunday, I say to myself, "I'll start cold turkey tomorrow." It never happens.

I don't know why I do it - I have a beautiful wife, a young daughter, a house, and a good job - I'm not unhappy.

Ugh - this is so much harder than I ever imagined it'd be to quit.

decchemist 07-22-2018 10:08 AM

Like you I was always giving up tomorrow. One day I decided to give up today instead. I've been giving up today for about a year now. The freedom is great I can tell you.

least 07-22-2018 10:26 AM

Welcome to the family. :) I hope our support can help you get sober for good. :)

Wayfarer 07-22-2018 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by decchemist (Post 6961923)
Like you I was always giving up tomorrow. One day I decided to give up today instead. I've been giving up today for about a year now. The freedom is great I can tell you.

I hope I can get there too.

Snowydelrico 07-22-2018 10:34 AM

It’s a good idea to stop now not tomorrow.
That booze WILL Take everything near and dear to you, and will take everything near and dear to your wife and young daughter (YOU)

Make a stand NOW
Get your life on track before it goes BOOM!

The booze is far too big for people like us. Don’t think you can play with it because it is not your friend. Would a friend steal everything from you?

Don’t let sneaking it into the house give you a kick.
You are an adult, not a naughty little kid seeking kicks from getting away with it all messed up.

Get off the not so merry go round, go all in on the royal flush that you have been dealt.
You deserve everything you have worked towards.
Enjoy it without having it spoiled by your nemesis alcohol.
It is already taking your focus away from the hand you have been dealt.
Don’t fold on the best things in your life. Once it’s broken it’s takes a lot to undo the damage.

I promise it will be worth it if you quit today.

No one last goodbye to it. It’s just not worth the sh*t on your shoe.

Good luck, be strong

Wayfarer 07-22-2018 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by least (Post 6961936)
Welcome to the family. :) I hope our support can help you get sober for good. :)

That's why I finally decided to join - it took me a while to admit even to myself and an internet forum that I have a drinking problem, but here I am.

Thank you :)

Helianthus 07-22-2018 11:19 AM

Welcome :)

Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today, you are putting it off a day because you are happy that you can have one more evening to get drunk. Just try it for one day and then try it for another...

Best of luck!

Outonthetiles 07-22-2018 11:20 AM

Why not start today?

dwtbd 07-22-2018 11:29 AM

My AV is liar , no surprise there, but the real problem was I used to agree with it a lot.
The times I'd stop , or think semi-seriously about stopping, It would assure me that if that ever meant stopping for good, quitting forever, the big Quit, quat ( so "quit "the spelling makes it look like a 'forever past tense'-thing) , and if that day ever came , I could surely do it , just you know not right now, tomorrow ..soon , before the end of .... ect ect.

I liked believing/agreeing (with) It , made drinking right then, 'easier'. " you can quit whenever you want, it'll be easy" It'd say , " yeah " I'd say.

It , the AV, was only half lying there, because I could quit whenever I wanted , the easy part well.. even then I wasn't convinced but willing to go along because like I said , agreeing with the fib made the next drink and more that much easier.

As it turned out , my AV is not only a liar but also pretty wily and crafty. When It realized I was going to cut off Its supply , to stop for good, It switched tacts. Because I agreed with Its dumbass ideas for more booze for so long on the 'easy to quit in the future' scam , It switched to " quitting is going to be hard" . And even this scarier , seemingly more real tact worked for a while too. It kept getting more booze, I kept feeding It based on both assumptions.

Quitting is as hard as it is , no getting around that , the piper will get his due.

The hardest part is the second before deciding to quit for good and for real, everything after that gets better, only a liar would say otherwise.

DontRemember 07-22-2018 11:29 AM

I did the 'tomorrow dance' for a couple years after joining here. Landed my ass in jail by crashing my truck with a .32(?)bac. I lost a lot of people,money and self respect with my 'tomorrow'.

saoutchik 07-22-2018 12:05 PM

Welcome to SR Wayfarer, you have a lot to stay sober for. It is not easy but it is doable and the sense of achievement you get is really uplifting. Good luck.

Jam13 07-22-2018 12:33 PM

WelcomeWayfarer,
I told myself all week, tomorrow I’m done.then it changed to....when I finish this bottle I’m done. Then, After next week, when I’m not so busy at work, always bargaining with the beast.
I drink like you. 8-12 shots of Smirnoff. I’m 42, good job, good spouse, good child, financially good.....
Can’t seem to stop now. I drank heavily before, came here and got sober for over 5 years.......then had a painful surgery and started again back in Dec.
first it was weekends, every other day, now daily.

I used to read about kindling and didn’t know what it was...until I experienced it.
My tolerance was high right off the bat.

I’m sorry I got back in this boat, it is affecting my blood pressure now. It’s affecting my relationships.. I get mouthy when I drink too much. Then pass out and don’t remember the mean things I said.
My kid is starting to notice. I don’t want them to be like me.

I wish you the best and hope you can stop. For good. Today.
Saying prayers for you and I. All of us fighting this monster.

ChloeRose63 07-22-2018 12:33 PM

Just the fact that you have to "sneak" booze past your wife should make you take a good hard look at yourself in the mirror. Do you like the husband, father friend, and man alcohol has made you into? Glad you are here for support. Alcohol is a selfish, lying, deceitful beast. Start fighting it today before it owns you.

Jam13 07-22-2018 12:43 PM

And crazy thing is I quit for 6 days a couple of weeks ago, so it can be done....each day it got easier......I felt better mentally, physically, spiritually
And I chose to put myself back in prison.
It’s called addiction for a reason.
I do the sneaking hiding thing, too. After I promised I wouldn’t. The compromises get worse with time.
I’m so aggravated at myself.
I know rationally I am the one choosing to poison myself.
Yet, I continue to do it.

The main thing I learned here the first time is my signature line.
We have to get to that point.
Hopefully, today.

Kdon853 07-22-2018 12:51 PM

There’s always tomorrow, give it up today. Make it today for 90 days . See how you feel.

Anna 07-22-2018 01:47 PM

I also think starting today, right now, is the way to go. Do you have a plan for how you will stop drinking and stay sober?

I know you will find lots of support here.

snitch 07-22-2018 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by decchemist (Post 6961923)

Echo this!

I am 3 months sober today, a day at a time.

Renvate 07-22-2018 02:11 PM

Sometimes it takes a personal crisis to see the spiral one is going down.

I was in a crisis and it made me seriously revaluate where I was going. Iam not wishing you a crisis, but you need to do something about your lifestyle

thomas11 07-22-2018 02:14 PM

Quitting is hard, staying quit is harder. But if you succeed you won't regret it. Good luck.

Caralara144 07-22-2018 02:22 PM

I honestly believed on the 27th of December last year when I made my desicion to quit drinking that my life was over ....
I'm almost 7 months sober
Not one drop of alcohol has touched my lips since
Believe me my friend
My life has only just began
It's wonderful to be free from the most addictive drug out there
Grab your life ...your family ..
And dump the poison
My life was over when I drank
I was slowly dying
Now I have everything to live for
Cara x