Notices

2 weeks in. When does this get better

Old 07-20-2018, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 weeks in. When does this get better

New member here. I’m 2 weeks sober today. I quit because I have anxiety and while booze helped in the moment l, I was floored with anxiety the next day. I drank about a pint of whiskey a night. Since quitting, I feel less anxious in my head but the physical symptoms are getting worse. I ache in my shoulders and arms. My whole torso feels stiff including my neck and jaws. I have energy at work but as soon as I get home and settled in I feel exhausted. But I still can’t fall asleep. Anyone else have a similar experience? How long did it last? I know we’re all wired differently but I’m looking for a ballpark figure.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 2 weeks of sobriety! It does take awhile for our bodies to begin to heal. Having trouble sleeping is very common in early recovery, and hopefully you will sleep better soon. Drinking increased my anxiety too.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Ballpark? 4 years.

Just Kidding!

It takes a little time but you already feel better don't you?
Old 07-20-2018, 05:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is great you feel less anxious that is major motivator. The physical symptoms will get better soon. You might want to look into nutrition vitamins and supplements etc such as B12. The physical pain is your body getting better.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi TroyJoe. It's great to have you with us. I'm happy you've made this life changing decision.

I had all sorts of withdrawal aches & pains, anxiety, restlessness. Our bodies are trying to adjust to this huge change. Everything settled down for me at about 2 months, but every day was a little better than the last. Sleep was very hard to come by for me, too. You're doing great - congrats on your 2 weeks.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me two or three months before I felt 'normal' again. It gets better if you stay sober.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me it came and went at first. I’d see the things I got out of sobriety but I also was still mentally grappling with it. I’m 6.5 months now and although there are moments and feelings of wanting to here and there it’s not the intense struggle it was. And it has kept getting easier!

I remember thinking why is it getting harder again?! I’ve been sober longer now, but again I’d make it through and the good was even better than before.

Each day isn’t a step in the right direction in that it does get easier but once each day is done you are closer to that better feeling if that makes sense. It’s not easy, you have to fight for it, but like everyone says it’s worth it! I do feel better than I did at the beginning of this month but I was having doubts at the end of last month. So glad I didn’t give in!
Old 07-20-2018, 07:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm about to five months and it's still a little rough. I drank heavy daily for 13 years. Paws is no joke.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Any stress going on? How are you handling life? The old noodle uses about a third of our body energy to function, with the busy alcoholic mind it is probably a lot more. No wonder we get tired.

Alcoholics Anonymous found that there was an order in the way things got better. "When the spiritual malady is overcome, we straighten out mentally and physically." Having tried it their way, I can confirm this was true in my case.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"Better" is a relative term, after about 6 months I started to feel a little bit better. After 13 I started to feel really good.

It takes some time to heal, each day goes by easier and easier.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had a few significant milestones, time-wise.

I began to sleep better at night about 1 week in. Although after 4 weeks I had a few evenings and early mornings feeling like I'd been run over by a truck and had to nap and take it easy.

My body "flipped a switch" about 8 weeks in: I was exercising and suddenly started to see physical benefits like losing weight and gaining muscle. I connect it to my liver healing. No actual proof of that, but I felt like that was what it was.

Up to about 12 months, I had anxiety related episodes (maybe 2 a month on average, usually socially related and speaking in public). They have been much, much better.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you are here. I was extremely sick when I quit drinking and it took awhile to get better, but I have. The only solutions I have found are never drinking again and working a strong program.

Keep going!
Old 07-21-2018, 05:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 weeks, that is so great!
IT took me about 3.5 months before I was feeling somewhat normal again. I am at 10 months and I am way better than I Was at 3.5 months.
For me the brain fog was the most frustrating, and I am so happy that ended at 3.5 months
Old 07-21-2018, 07:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That’s totally normal. Your body needs healing. Every day will get better and better. Congrats on 2 week. Keep it up.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My experience in early recovery began
with a 28 rehab stay with a 6 week outpatient
aftercare program before being released
on my own.

It took those 28 days to allow the toxins
to exit my body and the fog to clear my
mind and open my heart to receive the
process and gift of a recovery program
to be accepted in my life.

Once I learned how to keep the plug
on the jug then I learned how to live
life on a sober bases with applying a
continuous program of recovery one
day at a time.

Addiction to alcohol, drugs, meds is
extremely serious and nothing to take
lightly. It affects more people than what
we are aware of as we hear almost daily
of someone some where who has died from it.

Famous people, not so famous, neighbors,
friends, family members, workers, school
mates, and the list goes on.

Complete abstinence with a program of
recovery applied on a continuous bases
is what will insure success in living a clean,
sober life long term.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats on two weeks.
I was just starting to feel normal two or three weeks in. You have to remember we didn't get screwed up by alcohol overnight and we don't recover overnight. I'm over two years in and I'm still continuing to recover from years and years of drinking.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

For me I started to feel noticeably better at around 2 months. I got better every day and week but I felt a big improvement at around 2 months.

For context I am nearly 3 months sober now, so this is all still fresh in my mind. Now I am on 80 days + I can say I feel much better. My anxiety is at an all time low, this is how life is supposed to be and I am thankful I have found my true self again.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you feeling now Troy?

D