Notices

How to beat the mental obsession?

Old 07-20-2018, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to beat the mental obsession?

I have been sober for 13 days after five years of sobriety. I pretty much quit on my own. Well I had a slip up 13 days ago and now I feel the worst I have felt in my entire life. I’m either anxious or craving. No middle ground. Mostly anxious all day. I just feel like a different person and I will never be the same. I can’t eat and can’t sleep and I am worried about relapsing. It is horrible. Anyone experience something similar to this?
Old 07-20-2018, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol fueled my anxiety. I drank to try to relieve it, but all it did was make it worse.

It sounds like after your five years of sobriety you are beating yourself up over the relapse, feeling guilt and shame. That’s totally normal.

The best thing you can do is be kind to yourself and maybe get some form of live support in addition to SR. Remind yourself that you are sober TODAY.

💜
Old 07-20-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, try to not beat yourself up. You didn't lose your 5 years, you still have them. It's still 5 years in which you didn't poison your body and in which your mind was dealing with life sober. You've done it before, you've overcome the mental obsession in the past and you will do it again this time!
Old 07-20-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Eagle

I'm sorry you drank but I agree that you haven;t lost all you learned or achieved in those five years.

Look on your mistake as just that - a mistake and move on.

If you continually beat yourself up and put yourself down, you're likely making it easier to drink again

Learn whatever lessons you need to and then get back to enjoying life in recovery

D