Notices

Boozing too much

Old 07-20-2018, 01:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Boozing too much

Ive Always been a drinker , but mainly been able to control it .. just weekends .. however Ive hit a wall in life recently and cant look forward so am secretly drinking , I need some advice here .. I lost my father 18 months ago and feel trapped in my marriage
Old 07-20-2018, 02:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you found us. Read around and look for similarities with others' stories- you will find lots of support here.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcoem Rambler - this is a place of great support.

SR helped me turn my life around - I know we cn help you too

Have you tried to quit before or is this the first time?

D
Old 07-20-2018, 03:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi welcome rambler
Old 07-20-2018, 04:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Welcome Rambler. Bereavement and relationship problems are not symptoms of alcoholism and need to be dealt with seperately. Perhaps a relationship or bereavement counsellor would be a good place to start. I found them really great when I lost my wife.

The secret drinking could be a sign of a more serious drinking problem, but I have also seen cases where bereaved folks turn to alcohol in the absence of any other solution . It was always a very common thing - get a shock, have a brandy. My ex girlfriend's mother was drunk for three days when she found out we had got engaged.Then she returned to her normal state.

Self medicating is a term sometimes used. A friend of mine did that when she lost her partner. Got drunk, crashed her car and got a DUI. Went to AA for a short time then came to terms with her grief. She was not alcoholic and now is sucessfully a social drinker, though she rarely drinks and only in small quantities.

Read around a bit including the friends and family forums and see what makes sense.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Drinking for me started as a way to lower inhibitions and feel part of. That (de)evolved into a coping mechanism for life's problems - and High Times.

When I began to understand that alcohol wasn't my problem but my solution, it was an ahh ha moment of sorts. I had to find different solutions. It is said and my experience bares witness to crossing that invisible line into alcoholism. There was no going back, though I tried and tried to slow down - moderate, etc.

Life is full of problems, it's the human experience. I learned from others that there was no problem that a drink would make better. I had to find some emotional sobriety which could only occur for me by not drinking.

Welcome