Notices

Feeling sad for a friend

Old 07-19-2018, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling sad for a friend

My best friends brother in law passed away Saturday from Esophageal Varices. His roommate found him.

I watched her family fight so hard to get him help. He had done a stint in rehab a year and a half ago, but started again. A couple of months ago he had a seizure, was admitted to a hospital to detox.

This time they thought he was going to make it. I sat next to him in church a couple of weeks ago, he looked good & happy. He even volunteered to help with the music program at church. I guess he started hitting the bottle pretty bad again before he passed.

My friend is one of a few people that know how bad my alcohol use was.

I hate alcohol. I don't buy any of the health benefits bull crap. I can't see anything positive about it anymore. I have a lot of friends, including my husband that still drink. It's hard to be tolerant, but that's their choice. I wish people would never pick up in the first place.

I just wanted to share this. My friends brother in law was only 45 years old. My ex-husband, my kids dad, passed away 4 years ago from alcoholic liver failure. It devastated them. You would think that would have been motivation enough for me to quit earlier, but a lot of you know what a horrible hold alcohol can have on a person.

To all of you struggling please just quit, don't give up. Please
Old 07-19-2018, 10:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very sad to hear. Sympathies are with your friend's family. It truly is a poison, though I do know plenty of people who do not abuse it.

For those of us who do though, high is the price we pay.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lessgravity. I know a lot of people that don't abuse it either. My husband doesn't . It's just such a slippery slope. Not in a million years did I ever think I'd be an alcoholic. My son also struggles. He'll have a year of sobriety in October. My dad & his side of the family were alcoholics. My dad was lucky enough to quit, but it killed two of his brothers. It is such a high price to pay.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Labatty View Post
Lessgravity. I know a lot of people that don't abuse it either. My husband doesn't . It's just such a slippery slope. Not in a million years did I ever think I'd be an alcoholic. My son also struggles. He'll have a year of sobriety in October. My dad & his side of the family were alcoholics. My dad was lucky enough to quit, but it killed two of his brothers. It is such a high price to pay.
My wife is the same as your spouse - can truly take it or leave it. My son is 10 and I worry about him in the future. My father too was an alcoholic, though he quit years ago. He's a dry drunk in many ways though - just kind of a depressed guy. It's an ugly thing, addicted to the drink. We can only get ourselves clean and try and take care of those around us.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend's family member and for your ex-husband as well. I think there are many people who drink without becoming alcoholic or having to worry about the slippery slope.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't mean to diss people who drink. I have to admit I'm a little jealous that I can't participate anymore. I guess I could, but I've promised myself that I won't ever drink again. Just feeling bad today after seeing it cause so much sadness.